Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

tonyburton

Aug 23, 2005, 8:57 PM

Post #1 of 19 (10158 views)

Shortcut

Favorite places...

Can't Post | Private Reply
So, to start the ball rolling, what's your favorite place(s) in the region, and why???

Marlene

Aug 23, 2005, 10:14 PM

Post #2 of 19 (10144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Favorite places...

I have long had a fascination for Colima (the city), and it is at the top of my "to visit" list. This will be a great new forum!

Bear

Aug 24, 2005, 2:40 AM

Post #3 of 19 (10140 views)

Shortcut

Like Marlene, I have wanted for a year to go to Colima for a visit. The only one I have seen mention the city is Don from Sayula. He has mentioned that he visits there often.

shoe

Aug 24, 2005, 7:12 AM

Post #4 of 19 (10127 views)

Shortcut

MELAQUE....MWLAQUE...MELAQUE

This place is great this time of year. There are NO tourists here. The Meixcan school system is back in session so the Mexican tourists are gone. The snowbirds are not here yet. The local Mexicans, without children, are on vacation and some of them have left town. Half the stores and restaurants are closed. This place is deseted.

I was on the beach yesterday and counted 11 people there and I can see people for about 3 miles of beach using zoom on my camera..

OK, weekends are hectic as busloads come in. At lerast 5 or so. During the season 25 at least. The weekends have a few more people on the beach but not that many.

Some might think it is hot and humid here. Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is great!!!!!!!!!!!

Weather this morning a cool 74. Might get up to 89 as summer is winding down. Water is a cool 84 and it is downright cool when you get out of the water in the breeze. lol

Time to go to the beach for the day.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Don

Aug 24, 2005, 7:47 AM

Post #5 of 19 (10119 views)

Shortcut

Like the other posters. I like Colima, Colima and Melaque. I spend time at both places when I can. Colima is a beautiful clean town. I would be living there year around, if it were not for the heat and humidity. We now do any of our "big" store shopping in Colima. Closer than Guadalajara and much better traffic in which to drive. Along with Walmart, Sam, Sorianna, Sears, Office Depot, etc, they have a City Club which we like. It is to Sorianna as Sams is to Walmart. The near by town of Comala is also a treat to visit. The medical care in Colima, Colima is also great.

As far as the Melaque/Barra area. It is absolutely great. Have been going there since 1985 and the whole Costa Alegre is beautiful.

(This post was edited by Don on Aug 24, 2005, 8:11 AM)

song_of_joy

Aug 24, 2005, 9:15 AM

Post #6 of 19 (10104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Favorite places...

My son is keen on Sayula these days -- they go kiteboarding there most Sundays.

TigerTonio

Aug 24, 2005, 9:48 AM

Post #7 of 19 (10099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] Favorite places...

What in the world is 'kiteboarding'?

BTW, I love this new forum already!

song_of_joy

Aug 24, 2005, 9:53 AM

Post #8 of 19 (10097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tony Anaya] Favorite places...

Apparently it's a lot like windsurfing, but the kite pulls a skateboard across the sand flats -- those wonderful prehistoric lakebeds there.

I should go with 'em next time. Some of the dads do. I could test this empirically.

; )

sioux4noff

Aug 26, 2005, 10:45 PM

Post #9 of 19 (10017 views)

Shortcut

kite boarding

Apparently Bucerias is pretty popular with kite boarders as well. We saw quite a few there over the winter.

Don

Aug 27, 2005, 10:19 AM

Post #10 of 19 (9998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] Favorite places...

The near by mountain resort area of Tapalpa is also know for "hang gliding". In 2004 they held the World Cup Hang Glinding Championship in Tapalpa. From Sayula, you could see many hang gliders sailing over the valley.

song_of_joy

Aug 27, 2005, 10:27 AM

Post #11 of 19 (9995 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Favorite places...

I remember! Way back in 1978, I'd drive up to Tapalpa (and also to San Miguel de Allende) with friends for whole weekends of hang gliding.

(That's not something I'd like the kids to try, though. Now that I'm a mom, my perspective has changed a bit!)

mattw

Sep 8, 2005, 8:24 PM

Post #12 of 19 (9857 views)

Shortcut

Sayulita, Nayarit is the place for me. I just hope it's not completely overdeveloped by the time I can afford to build my house there.
The beach in town has a great beginners' surf break and Punta Mita has great surf very close by.
enjoy life, disfrute la vida

mattw

Sep 8, 2005, 8:30 PM

Post #13 of 19 (9854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mattw] Favorite places...

some photos around sayulita, nay
enjoy life, disfrute la vida
Attachments: hilltopview.jpg (44.0 KB)

moonfam5

Sep 9, 2005, 7:45 PM

Post #14 of 19 (9816 views)

Shortcut

My wife and I have our vacation/retirement home in Cotija, Michoacan. I think I am the only "gringo" there sometimes, except in December when everyone who is working in the states comes home for las fiestas. We enjoy going to Uruapan with their Parque Nacional, we also enjoy going up to Mazamitla for dinner, try La Troje or Quinta del Bosque it's not that far of a drive from Ajijic. If we have more time on our vacations, we love driving to Puebla and Tlaxcala, unfortunately we pass through the city of 300 pesos ( D.F. ). Why do I call it the city of 300 pesos? Because everytime we go through there and the Transitos see my California plates...it costs me 300 pesos!
WinkThe more I learn, I less I know.

bcg

Nov 11, 2005, 12:49 PM

Post #15 of 19 (9600 views)

Shortcut

My favorite place is Guayabitos in Nayarit-1 hour north of PV. It is a small Mexican town where there are enough North Americans to make living there easy enough even for one who speaks little Spanish. The people are very friendly and helpful. The beaches are pleasant and fairly unoccupied except for weekends and holidays when the area is used a lot by Mexican tourists. There are a few interesting sidetrips but I'd like to learn about more things people have done in or near that area.

tonyburton

Nov 11, 2005, 1:02 PM

Post #16 of 19 (9598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bcg] Favorite places...

Right here on Mexico Connect are two of my articles about Guayabitos and environs:
http://www.mexconnected.com/mex_/travel/tonysarticles/guayabitos0703/tbguayabitos2.html
http://www.mexconnected.com/mex_/travel/tonysarticles/tbguayabitos.html
Some of the details may now be dated, but if you haven't already seen them, take a look!

Bloviator

Nov 11, 2005, 1:14 PM

Post #17 of 19 (9595 views)

Shortcut

I'm glad this thread has been reborn. I have been wanting to ask where we should go for a first trip - except for a recent trip to Manzanillo. Conditions: 1. within five hours of Ajijic. 2. Reasonably priced accommodations. 3. The other things that make up an enjoyable holiday. We've spent quite a bit of time in PV (in fact met in the Tijuana airport when both going to PV) so are ruling it out. We hope to go at the end of the month. So far are considering Pazquaro, Guanajuato, and Moralia.

Thanks in advance for any input.

tonyburton

Nov 11, 2005, 1:25 PM

Post #18 of 19 (9590 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Favorite places...

Well, funnily enough, that's precisely the focus of much of my "Western Mexico - A Traveller's Treasury"...
so excuse the shameless self-promotion, but several possible regions for trips from Ajijic and/or Guadalajara are explored in some detail within its pages. What's more, anyone wanting to combine some exploring with improving their Spanish, could do worse than buying a copy of the Spanish edition, as well - it is beautifully and sensitively translated by Lorenza Castiello V.

bournemouth

Nov 11, 2005, 1:48 PM

Post #19 of 19 (9586 views)

Shortcut

And please allow me to add my 5 pesos worth - it's a great book and will take you lots of interesting places - Well done, Tony!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4