Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Biggles

Aug 23, 2005, 7:17 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1071 views)

Shortcut

US or Mex plates?

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK, another boring topic but help would be appreciated. Hubby and I have finally (!) settled on a vehicle that we both like and which should be acceptable for the local road conditions. Which is the better (and cheaper!) way to go-buying it in the US and keeping US reg. plates, ins., etc, on it or buying locally? I know that we'll have to pay some sort of tax each year if it's a Mex. plated car but does it work out less expensive since we won't have to carry US reg. and ins? Also, do you find that you're not as much of a "target" if you have local plates?

Thanks in advance!

Cheri

sciman

Aug 23, 2005, 7:32 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Biggles] US or Mex plates?

It's a great question, Cherri.. and a timely one perhaps. I look forward to hearing answers. In the LATimes just today there was coverage of a brand new law which allows the importation (with fee, of course, and I don't know how much) of used vehicles. There was speculation that this will have strong effects over time in reducing very high costs of autos for Mexicans. There was even discussion anticipating a size of movement of used vehicles to Mexico that would have the impact of significantly increasing used car values in the US. As I recall, the annual taxes for a fairly new car -- and for a Mexican -- are quite steep, which seems to lead to a preference for cars of over 10 years old. ANy impacts this might have for choices of expats, or their freedom to sell cars in Mexico rather than having to take them back to the US without current licenses, etc. I'm not the slightest bit sure. .

Howard Botz

Aug 23, 2005, 7:45 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1058 views)

Shortcut

Why would you have to carry U.S. insurance on a U.S. plated car if you are living in Mexico?

Howard

Bear

Aug 23, 2005, 7:59 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1055 views)

Shortcut

An opinion. I think it was better for me, having first settled in Mexico City area, to have a Mexican plated
vehicle. My first was a VW Sedan, 1995, white.
Taxes were minimal, tenencia cheap, insurance inexpensive (full coverage) and was totally un-noticed by the police. It fit in well. It was economical, easy to get parts for, inexpensive to have repaired. Other good choices are Nissan Tsuru,
VW Jetta, and small chevys.
When I take it to US, I am able to buy temporary
insurance rather cheaply.
Since I have moved to Queretaro, I have not changed my mind. I still think older Mexican plated vehicles are the way to go.

Rolly

Aug 23, 2005, 8:08 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1052 views)

Shortcut

Mexico does not require that your foreign plates be current or that you have foreign insurance. Some people do keep their USA registration and insurance because they drive back often. Others do not keep current and buy temporary registration and insurance if they have need to drive NOB.

For a longer discussion of your car in Mexico. look here: http://rollybrook.com/...ng_in_mexico.htm#Car

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Aug 23, 2005, 11:36 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1023 views)

Shortcut

Biggles:

I don't think there is any question but that you will pay a premium if you buy a car in Mexico. Not only will you pay more for the car but you will pay an annually decreasing tax for 10 years for owning the thing that is pretty hefty. Also, Mexican car insurance (vs. Mexican car insurance for foreign [so-called tourist] vehicles), is quite expensive. There is absolutely no reason to pay a premium to buy your new or used vehicle in Mexico vs. the United States. That having been said, we bought our Nissan XTrail in Guadalajara at a wonderful dealership and love the thing. We left the United States forever and will not return for one nano-second longer than necessary. If, on the other hand, you plan to live in both places, buy a U.S. car, by all means. We kind of like supporting the local economy with our bucks. Your experience may differ.

Biggles

Aug 23, 2005, 2:22 PM

Post #7 of 8 (994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] US or Mex plates?

Bubba,

We're looking at the Xterra and plan on doing a lot of travelling...just not with it to the states. We also will not be splitting time between the US and Mexico, it will be strictly Mexico. If we do go north, we'll fly and just rent a car. I like the idea of supporting the local economy and blending in as much as it's possible. This is the main reason why we were looking into a Mexican plated vehicle.

Would you mind giving me a rough idea of what to expect for the yearly taxes and Mexican insurance? Right now, our US plated vehicle is running around $700 for Mexican insurance...slightly more than it was in the US.

Thanks so much!

Cheri

johanson

Aug 23, 2005, 3:37 PM

Post #8 of 8 (975 views)

Shortcut

In 2000 if my memory serves me right, my Ford Explorer Sport that I purchased in San Antonio, TX would have cost 20% to 30% more in Guadalajara and my $73 annual license plate fee (tenencia) would have been many hundreds of dollars. And insurance would have been much higher were I to have had Mexican plates. I think almost twice as expensive.

Also a few of the extras I wanted on my model were only available from the states.

Changing the subject and answering a question not asked. Many people believe that if they have Mexican plates they won't be stopped as often as with US plates. Others state that if stopped pretend like you don't speak any Spanish at all, for best results.

I found that by speaking Spanish (even though it is not perfect, by any means) I have always been treated fairly, especially if those stopping me believe that I know my rights.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4