Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Bubba

Aug 22, 2005, 1:56 PM

Post #1 of 16 (1872 views)

Shortcut

Night of the Aguanegra

Can't Post | Private Reply
The following information is from yesterday's (August 21st) MURAL newspaper out of Guadalajara.

Feel like going to the beach and swimming in the exciting surf while downing an ice cold beer ? Have an aversion to hepatitis, skin, mouth and eye diseases, gastrointestinal problems, urinary infections or perhaps typhoid fever or salmonella or, and how can we not throw this in, cholera?

Well, if you are going to the beach, here are those with the cleanest water from the standpoint of E-Coli infestation in Mexico which are popular with tourists according to a study by Grupo Reforma based upon research done in the latter part of july, 2005.

Matamoros
Los Cabos

The filtiest beaches:

By far meaning extremely contaminated with fecal matter:

Mismaloya and Boca de Tomatlan on the southern tip of the bay of Banderas. In the Puerto Vallarta area the cleanest beaches are at Bucerias and Yelapa and they both have acceptable levels of fecal contamination.

Other beaches touted by the tourism folks:

Unaceptable fecal contamination:

Caleta Beach in Acapulco (very polluted)
Hornos and Puerto Marques Beaches in Acapulco
Norte and Dorado Beaches in Mazatlan
Tortugas and Langostas Beaches in Cancun
Penacho del Indio Beach (very polluted) and Iguanas and Villa del Mar Beaches in Veracruz
Playa Miramar in Tampico

I thought of sharing this information with you guys when I found myself parked along the lakefront at Lake Chapala today where I had gone to admire the lake on a breezy afternoon and found myself repulsed by the stink of untreated agua negra flowing copiously into the lake near the Old Pasada. I know the lake well enough to know that one need only drive a few feet to the Ajijic city park to escape those noxious odors so I did so and the air was a fresh as it could be. Only a few people actually swim in Lake Chapala and their demise will doubtlessly improve the gene pool hereabouts but it occured to me that the beach at Mismaloya is by far my favorite beach in the Puerto Vallarta area and I swim (or used to swim) in its waters often. No wonder I haven't been feeling well lately.

bdudge

Aug 23, 2005, 7:09 AM

Post #2 of 16 (1782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Night of the Aguanegra

GROSS!!!! Yuk. Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad the Bucerias beach is one of the cleaner ones, as I'll be there this winter for a couple of months, but it sounds like the level of cleanliness is relative. I think a walk on the beach, ankle deep will be my max. Who in their right mind would swim in Lake Chapala? Maybe I don't want to know.
Barbara

Bubba

Aug 23, 2005, 10:46 AM

Post #3 of 16 (1744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdudge] Night of the Aguanegra

By the way, Barbara, we just came back from walking our monsters down to the foot of Rio Zula Street in West Ajijic, about a mile west of the Ajijic park where the agua negra was pouring into the lake and the untreated agua negra is pouring into the lake there as well and has been for months. There is a nice but poor family living there and a herd of cattle. The stinch is unbelievable but nobody gives a damn because these people are poor. And we have some clown in this area complaining about his noisy frogs as well as some other bozo in Michoacan complaining about foreigners in plaid bermuda shorts. God help us.

tony

Aug 23, 2005, 10:53 AM

Post #4 of 16 (1736 views)

Shortcut

I have a friend who won't drink water period! His reasoning? "Fish s**t and f**k in that stuff!"
;>)

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."

Bubba

Aug 23, 2005, 11:42 AM

Post #5 of 16 (1723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tony] Night of the Aguanegra

Tony:

This raises a serious problem for me since the alternative, alcohol, results from the poop of micro-organisms. Maybe we are all nothing more than various forms of poop or poop by-products. Such is life.

Ed and Fran

Aug 23, 2005, 12:09 PM

Post #6 of 16 (1714 views)

Shortcut

Maybe we are all nothing more than various forms of poop or poop by-products.

That's deep, man. Thinking, that is, not doo-doo. And it's only mid afternoon. I'm jut barely awake from my nap and you're already philosophising.

E

EEK

Aug 23, 2005, 7:56 PM

Post #7 of 16 (1646 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, I'm a scientest and I have always believed that life originated from poop. Sometimes I think that it never evolved beyond the poop. But who made the first poop? I know that as long as my memory goes back, I've been standing in poop up to my neck and someone out there is riding around in a motorboat making waves. eek.

Nancy4

Aug 25, 2005, 6:22 AM

Post #8 of 16 (1561 views)

Shortcut

Why would you all live so close to stinky water? Also, any news of the ocean on the diamante of Acapulco. Thanks for the info on waters.

Oscar2

Aug 25, 2005, 10:49 AM

Post #9 of 16 (1510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EEK] Night of the Aguanegra

Talk about crappy subjects ……… Sheeeeez! I hesitate to ask what other entrée is on the menu?

bdudge

Aug 25, 2005, 8:41 PM

Post #10 of 16 (1457 views)

Shortcut

Deep Thoughts in Lake Chapala. A profound thread.(But it sure beats what was coming down the pike, so to speak, last week...zippo) This is called cheap entertainment. Or a dirty joke???
Barbara

Oscar2

Aug 26, 2005, 10:48 AM

Post #11 of 16 (1386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdudge] Night of the Aguanegra

I guess it’s not uncommon for some who are idle to get restless, sit at the keyboard and strum away what sounds like music between their ears for others to hear. Some times a sour note hits, ears perk, and a jam session ensues. Not always the way we’d like to hear it but other times, I guess you can say, “they get down baby!”

Nancy4

Sep 9, 2005, 2:49 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1252 views)

Shortcut

Hi Bubba. I read a post of ours dated August 22, 2005. Kind of takes the fun of swimming in the ocean! Probably resembles the water in which those poor souls hit by Katrina are wading through. Pray they are can remain strong.

I am most interested in the waters above the ACA bay, mainly Playa Revolcadero? Do you know or anyone reading this know ow to find out its "healthy" status?

Gracias.

Bubba

Sep 10, 2005, 9:34 AM

Post #13 of 16 (1201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] Night of the Aguanegra

Nancy4:

The study MURAL published concerned specific beaches they chose to report upon because of their popularity. I don't know Playa Revolcadero so I can't help. It strikes me that the Mexican authorities are not anxious to talk about pollution at the country's beaches. I will tell you that the article I quoted featured a front page picture of raw sewage pouring into the ocean near Acapulco at the site of a sewage treatment plant.

I have swum many times in the Ocean at Mismaloya near Puerto Vallarta and now find the sea is filthy there. I think my ocean swimming days are over.

floyd

Sep 11, 2005, 2:20 PM

Post #14 of 16 (1113 views)

Shortcut

Bubba - was there any mention of the waters around Manzanillo. Especially the Bay of Mansanillo
and the Bay of Santiago. Thanks. Floyd

Bubba

Sep 11, 2005, 2:54 PM

Post #15 of 16 (1103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [floyd] Night of the Aguanegra

Floyd:

Grupo Reforma which, I belive, owns Guadalajara's newspaper MURAL, loves to run these exposes but they choose to expose whatever they are exposing in a particular week based upon their circulation needs. They chose the beaches they exposed and I have no idea how you would find out about other beaches not chosen by them.

Maybe someone can enlighten the rest of us as to what beaches are safe in Mexico or the United States for that matter. When Bubba was a boy inthe1940s and 1950s his Momma told him the Sea God ate up and spit out all that shit and Bubba believedit. Bubba is still alive for some reason so the Shit Spit Up God must have done his duty.

The reason my words are running together here is that this site reverts to "Typeover" for reasons I do not fathom.

jerezano

Sep 13, 2005, 10:49 AM

Post #16 of 16 (1008 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

The typeover problem is usually on one's own computer. Try hitting the insert key and then continue typing. I hope this works for you. It always does for me.

I have never yet found out why my computer goes into the typeover mode. I guess I accidentally hit one of the shortcut keys somewhere.

Adios. jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4