Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

oldgringo

Aug 22, 2005, 9:38 AM

Post #1 of 22 (1846 views)

Shortcut

Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Are diesel powered autos available in Mexico as in Europe?
I'm looking for more choices than what is presently available
in U.S. (Mercedes, Jeep Liberty) for use in Mexico.
Thank you

johanson

Aug 22, 2005, 9:46 AM

Post #2 of 22 (1832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldgringo] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

yep. They sure are. I know people who have brought down Mercedes D and TD models. And as I recollect, the cost of diesel is less in Mexico than regular. Please someone who knows a little more, add to my very weak answer

patricio_lintz

Aug 23, 2005, 1:21 PM

Post #3 of 22 (1750 views)

Shortcut

I have a F250 Ford 4X4 deisel pick up. It runs fine down here, the mechanics are good, too. For new cars:

http://www.vw.com.mx

www.ford.com.mx

I am thinking of going to waste vegetable oil (WVO) or recycled grease of any kind:

http://www.greasecar.com/

johanson

Aug 23, 2005, 2:00 PM

Post #4 of 22 (1741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

Hey Patricio, what does a liter of diesel cost lakeside? I'm up north for a 16 more days and can't remember what it costs. Regular (magna) cost $6.33 per liter 4 weeks ago in Ajijic.

ignacio

Aug 23, 2005, 2:09 PM

Post #5 of 22 (1739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

I am a pround owner of a Mercedes 300SD 'Turbo Diesel'. It is a model 1983 with almost 200k miles, but in very good shape (I am often asked if this is 'the latest year mercedes')

Diesel is not cheap in Mexico, runs close to the gasoline price, but these cars are much more efficient; I get between 26 to 28 mpg around here in Veracruz.

The trick is to find a good mechanic, and I am blessed with having a young (30ish) Austrian mechanic that is living in Veracruz.

These Mercedes 300SD's are a very comfortable car, and cost very little now a days, I'd seen them in Ebay for around 5 to 8 K US$, in close to perfect condition (dealer maintained).

Georgia

Aug 23, 2005, 3:39 PM

Post #6 of 22 (1717 views)

Shortcut

That's pesos, Pete, right? Don't scare newcomers!!!

oldgringo

Aug 23, 2005, 4:51 PM

Post #7 of 22 (1702 views)

Shortcut

Are Ford and VW the only manufacturers that offer diesel in a new vehicle in Mexico?
As to WVO, have you considered home-brew biodiesel. No vehicle mods!
Thank you for the responses.

patricio_lintz

Aug 23, 2005, 7:25 PM

Post #8 of 22 (1678 views)

Shortcut

Diesel goes up with the gasoline prices, but has lagged behind. I'll check the pump, next time I fill up and let you know.

patricio_lintz

Aug 23, 2005, 7:37 PM

Post #9 of 22 (1673 views)

Shortcut

No there are other brands. I don't know which ones currently offer diesels. There's Dodge, Chevy, Pugeot?, SEAT (Spanish sub of VW), Nissan, Mercedez (trucks and cars} to check out. I'll snoop around, unless someone comes up with a definite answer. There are not many used diesels for sale of any make down hereabouts.

I looked at the homebrew diesel, but it requires either ethanol or methanol. neither of which are free, as well as sodium hydroxide. A dangerous, labor intensive process, but I as an engineer, could do it, if I decided that the time and cost were worth it.

Here's a link:
http://www.dancingrabbit.org/biodiesel/makeit.php

You can use a water heater to bring the oil up to the proper temp for the reaction.

I am not sure that there is a local source for the WVO. The people down here may juat keep using it until it evaporates. They don't throw much away! I will keep investigating.

My wife wants me to get a nice trip car and sell the diesel. I am inclined to keep it.

hoyafb95

Aug 24, 2005, 5:47 AM

Post #10 of 22 (1641 views)

Shortcut

See, http://mx.autos.yahoo.com/

patricio_lintz

Aug 24, 2005, 11:17 AM

Post #11 of 22 (1610 views)

Shortcut

Here's a link for historical Pemex prices of Gasoline & diesel through July 2005.
http://www.conae.gob.mx/...uidor.jsp?seccion=25

The attached file is in EXCEL. It shows official July PEMEX price of 5.25 pesos per liter for diesel and 6.33 pesos for Magna sin. This is consistent with your memory for gas in Chapala.

Info for newcomers: multiply cost per liter X 3.8 for price in pesos per gallon. See current peso exchange rate:

http://www.travlang.com/money/

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Aug 24, 2005, 11:23 AM)
Attachments: epublico_esp.xls (22.5 KB)

johanson

Aug 24, 2005, 12:05 PM

Post #12 of 22 (1601 views)

Shortcut

Boy, that works out to about $1.88 US for a gallon of diesel. That is really great. It's almost $3 per gallon here in WA.

MG Rabon

Aug 24, 2005, 2:00 PM

Post #13 of 22 (1584 views)

Shortcut

I looked at the homebrew diesel, but it requires either ethanol or methanol. neither of which are free, as well as sodium hydroxide. A dangerous, labor intensive process, but I as an engineer, could do it, if I decided that the time and cost were worth it.

I am not sure that there is a local source for the WVO. The people down here may juat keep using it until it evaporates. They don't throw much away! I will keep investigating.

I'd love to hear what you find out about the WVO in Mexico.

There are some places in the USA that don't have any oil to dispose of either, as I found out when I approached donut shops. Apparently the donuts soak up enough grease that there is none left to change.

I make the occasional small batch of BD when I'm home, the best oil there comes from Chinese restaurants. True the CH3OH (methanol) isn't free but I do manage to recover almost 90% of it. The recoverable NAOH (lye) and glycerin may be usable in homeade soap. I'm working on soap recipes as we speak.

I'm not so sure about using C2H5OH (ethanol) in place of the CH30H. I'm pretty sure that the transesterfication would be similar, but the end product would be an Ethyl ester, and not a Methyl Ester. I'm not sure the two are interchangeable, hmmm maybe. Anyone have the definitive answer here?

Labor intensive yes, but isn't labor in Mexico CHEAP?

If you find a good supply of WVO, perhaps we might discuss building a co-op.

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

patricio_lintz

Aug 25, 2005, 11:48 AM

Post #14 of 22 (1517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MG Rabon] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

A Co-op is a good idea. However, maybe one for you in Guerrero and one I join in Lakeside area.

I am glad to see that some forum members have expierience in BD.

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Aug 25, 2005, 12:46 PM)

patricio_lintz

Sep 5, 2005, 6:45 PM

Post #15 of 22 (1461 views)

Shortcut

Today, I filled up the big Ford Diesel's two tanks at 5.28 pesos per liter. That's $1.88 USD/gallon.

pat

Sep 5, 2005, 7:14 PM

Post #16 of 22 (1456 views)

Shortcut

And I filled up my car in South Carolina for $3.29 USD/gal. Ouch!

hoyafb95

Sep 6, 2005, 7:36 AM

Post #17 of 22 (1410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

In Reply To
And I filled up my car in South Carolina for $3.29 USD/gal. Ouch!

However, you filled up with much better quality gas and with a lot lower sulfur content than with what we fill up with down here.

They had a news story on Mexconnect the other day about how some Americans near the border are filling up in Mexico, many others are avoiding it due to quality issues.

Want cheap but good quality gas, 12-17 cents a gallon in Venezuela if you can handle the political problems.

Marta R

Sep 6, 2005, 9:58 AM

Post #18 of 22 (1390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hoyafb95] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

The Shell station off 101 in Marin is asking $3.21 for a gallon of regular this morning. What's interesting about this is that (I'm told) over 90% of California's gas does not come from the South -- there's no shortage here, but price gouging goes on anyway.

Marta

HHERRINGTON

Sep 6, 2005, 10:38 AM

Post #19 of 22 (1378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta Randall] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

Florida put up a web page to collect names of anyone charging over $3.00 a gallon, amazing how fast gas prices dropped in north central florida yesterday.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

CA_Azul

Sep 6, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #20 of 22 (1336 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta Randall] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

That Shell station used to be my favorite when I lived in Marin. But in Malibu gas has been over $3.00 for a long time. Talk about price gouging. Even the Arco station. WE have had gas for $3.60 several times in the last year. When a station in Malibu was the first in the US to go over $3.00 last year it hit the networks and guess what - the price dropped the next day.

I avoid them all and buy at Costco at about 20 to 30 centers cheaper a gal. How do they do it and why can't the actual companies that are in the oil business do it? What is Pemex charging these days? I am planning a trip and want to drive.

tntex

Sep 6, 2005, 4:43 PM

Post #21 of 22 (1333 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HHERRINGTON] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

Chattanooga, Tennessee : The state's attorney general has cited an East Ridge operator of a convenince store for over charging at the pump.
tntex

johanson

Sep 6, 2005, 6:52 PM

Post #22 of 22 (1302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tntex] Diesel automobiles in Mexico?

It was reported on another string that it is $6.37 per liter

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4