Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

MazDee

Aug 11, 2005, 7:41 PM

Post #1 of 15 (2280 views)

Shortcut

Hotel in Zacatecas

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning to ESCAPE the humidity of Mazatlan in September and want to visit Zacatecas and Puebla, among other places. In the archives I found a recommendation for Hotel Contessa in Zacatecas, which sounds nice, apparently about $450 pesos a day for 2 last year. I like to stay in Centro, wherever I go, and I look for budget lodgings. As a single, I look for places that cost less than $350 a day. I would pay more if it were right on the plaza or something. Any recommendations out there? Puebla is another story and I will ask all kinds of questions about that later! Thanks, Dee

tonyburton

Aug 11, 2005, 7:49 PM

Post #2 of 15 (2271 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Hotel in Zacatecas

This is a relatively common question, and at least one good option appears in the following thread:
http://www.mexconnected.com/...l%20zacatecas;#59855

Entering "Zacatecas" and "hotel" in the "Search Posts" function (middle of tool bar that is above all forum pages) will give you some others.

MazDee

Aug 11, 2005, 8:10 PM

Post #3 of 15 (2267 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Hotel in Zacatecas

Actually, I think I got more info when I just typed in Zacatecas Hotels! There definitely is not a consensus here. Anyone been to the Condessa, or was it the Contessa, lately? Dee

julian3345

Aug 12, 2005, 1:44 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2238 views)

Shortcut

I can strongly recommend the Hostal Villa Colonial owned by the Lozano family. Telephone is 492.922.1980 email is hostalvillacolonial@hotmail.com Ask for a private room if you prefer that to dorm style sleeping arrangements. Last time I stayed there the charge was 180 pesos for the private room. This hostal is located one block up the hill behind the cathedral, at the corner of Primero de mayo and callejon Mono Prieto. Traffic noise is MUCH less than the Condesa. Amenities include really friendly people, computer in the lobby, lending library of paperbacks, use of super clean kitchen, roof terrace and resident golden retriever.

Another option would be to stay in the charming small colonial town of Jerez at the Hotel Jardin(160) pesos...ask for rooms 1 or 2 on piso bajo... and take the bus or drive into Zacatecas...about a 45 minute trip. Best of both worlds! ¡disfruta bien! Joan

Carron

Aug 12, 2005, 2:11 PM

Post #5 of 15 (2232 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] Hotel in Zacatecas

We also stayed in the Villa Colonial for a week just last September. We had a private (interior) room with bath. It was somewhat claustrophobic and too warm without cross ventilation, but we stayed out and about much of the time. I think we paid about 22 pesos a night. I would have posted this option sooner, but I couldn't remember the name of the place!

The owner speaks pretty good English and there will probably be people from many different countries staying there. It is very convenient to all the central area with lots of great restaurants and there are numerous free concerts and other cultural activities within a few blocks. The housekeeper is a charming older woman and she will spoil you rotten. (Or maybe she was just flirting with my husband?)

They have e-mail and reservations can be made ahead of time.

(This post was edited by Carron on Aug 12, 2005, 2:12 PM)

julian3345

Aug 12, 2005, 6:56 PM

Post #6 of 15 (2214 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Hotel in Zacatecas

I think you must have mis-typed the cost of your room...did you mean 220 pesos or 22 Dollars ?? either one would be about right. yes, ventilation is often a problem in the more modest hotels. windows, when there are any, often open onto a main corridor or central courtyard...Hotel Tonala has very quiet ceiling fans, so it is possible to shut the windows that allow in too much noise, cigarette smoke, etc....I wonder if the Lozanos have a fan they would offer to guests in those smaller roomms? Sounds like you had a good time in Zacatecas....Joan

Carron

Aug 13, 2005, 7:53 AM

Post #7 of 15 (2196 views)

Shortcut

Right about the price per night. Living a bi-lingual lifestyle sometimes confuses my elderly brain.

We also stayed in another hotel in Zacatecas that we absolutely fell in love with. I think it was Hotel Margherita and it was a brand new 3-story mansion with a roof top flower garden and large tiled kitchen area, also on the roof but with sliding glass doors in case of bad weather, for the use of guests. The view was beyond spectacular. Gorgeous stained glass window several stories tall to light the stairs. Everything was sparkling new and luxurious. Talavera tiles and rustic furhishings. We were the only ones staying there at the unbelievable price of 150 pesos (less than $15 US) per night for two persons. This one is also accessible on-line for advance reservations.

Only problem was the relative distance from El Centro (a block behind a museum of modern art) and there were no eating facilites near by. We really did, however, seriously consider moving ourselves there for a retirement home, understanding that we would have to stock up on groceries.

Rolly

Aug 13, 2005, 8:01 AM

Post #8 of 15 (2192 views)

Shortcut

Carron, does the Hotel Margherita have an elevator? I am no longer able to go up/down stairs, so I have a problem with many hotels.

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Aug 13, 2005, 8:59 AM

Post #9 of 15 (2183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Hotel in Zacatecas

No, and that was one of the problems/pluses the place had for us. Our bedroom was on the third (top) floor and we huffed and panted to get up there. And the young man we had to wake up when our bus arrived at 5 in the morning did not offer to help with our bags. Remember that Zacatecas is at a very high elevation to begin with, but the air was clear and crisp. No allergies and no pollution. There was a spectacular Talavera tiled full bath next door to our room and we were comfortable going in our night clothes, just like at home. We had one wide set of stairs (no handrails, of course) from our room on up to the kitchen/garden/roof, but it was a piece of cake compared to the 3-story climb from lobby to our room.

Once we got upstairs to our room, we were reluctant to go back down to the lobby for any reason! So we spent a lot of time on the roof, which literally dripped with blooming red geraniums in Talavera pots. The view of the entire valley was simply beyond description. Really made the retired life seem worthwhile. I would probably move back down in a minute if it weren't for all my dogs.

There were also several housekeepers and I am sure any one of them would have waited on us hand and foot for a bit more propina.

MazDee

Aug 13, 2005, 11:03 AM

Post #10 of 15 (2164 views)

Shortcut

Hostal Villa Colonial sounds very nice and is certainly a bargain, Thanks! I will email them when I have a date set. I may go to Jerez, too. Carron's rec sounds beautiful, but I do prefer to be close to the center, and NOT climb a lot of stairs like I have to do the rest of the year (I live on the 3rd floor). D

Anonimo

Aug 14, 2005, 2:48 PM

Post #11 of 15 (2121 views)

Shortcut

Carron, do you have the URL for the Hotel Margarita/Margherita?
Thanks.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Aug 14, 2005, 2:54 PM

Post #12 of 15 (2121 views)

Shortcut

We've walked through http://www.mesondejobito.com/index.html, although we've not stayed there. (Too $$$!)
There are a couple of superior restaurants in it, so it's said.
That hotel used to be a slum street!

Saludos,
Anonimo

Carron

Aug 14, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #13 of 15 (2102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Hotel in Zacatecas

I have trouble remembering the names of places but we had one really bad day during our week's stay in Zacatecas. We took a taxi out to the mine (0ne of the major tourist attractions) about 1:00 in the afternoon. When we arrived, a pretty young woman waved our taxi away and explained that the mine was closed for about 30 days for repairs. We put our heads together and thought of the expensive hotel that is built around a former 16th century bull ring. Someone years ago on Mex Connect had recommended it for drinks and a look at the bull ring.

The taxi dropped us off and we went inside to a refreshingly cool dark lobby. A very snooty young man we could have probably bought and sold told us the bar was not opened until 6:00 in the evening. Then we asked if we could at least look around and he practically called security to have us thrown out. One of the only times in Mexico we have ever felt unwelcomed.

There were no taxis around to take us back to El Centro so we had to walk for miles. Not an easy task at our ages! Thankfully the walk was down hill all the way.

jerezano

Aug 15, 2005, 7:44 AM

Post #14 of 15 (2079 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

The motel Zacatecas on the main North South throughway is quiet and inexpensive. For people who like to walk it is some rather uphill blocks from the Zocalo. But if you have a car which can be a problem in Zacatecas (don't try to drive: the streets are very narrow, heavily trafficked, and it is extremely easy to get lost and into blocked streets which require backing out of) it has parking included in the price.

I cannot reccomend the Condessa. Unless they have gone through a rehabilitation program it is rather shabby. They rent TV's for the night, and they never used to deliver the single towel per person until you had entered the room. Maybe they have changed.

If you must be there on Independence square, try the Hotel Conde across the street which is a commercial hotel. Adequate. Clean. Just a few dollars more in price which includes TV and phone. The in hotel restaurante El Jacal is one of the most popular business restarurants in the city. Good food, reasonable, no frills, set up for the city worker of all classes and types. Nothing really fancy. They always have a comida corrida.

Walking can be a problem in Zacatecas. It is much like San Francisco. Lots of going up and up, and up. Also bring a sweater.

In defense of the Hotel Quinta Real, a six star hotel, I have always been welcome there to walk around, look at the original art on the walls, sit in the lobby and pretend that I could afford the honeymoon luxury atmosphere ($1000 us dollars a night for the presidental suite when they opened about 10 years ago). The restaurant while abundant in atmosphere, pretty waitresses, pretty hostesses, and excellent service tends to be spotty. In all the years it has been open they have not yet been able to find a good chef. The food can be good under one trial chef and very bad under another. Needless to say the restaurant prices are as high as the hotel prices and I hate to pay top dollar for bad food. Need I say more?

As for Puebla, we just got back from there yesterday (the 14th). We stayed at the Hotel Señorial three blocks from the Zocalo. Parking in the hotel. Two rooms, one a double and the other a single set us back $75 us dollars for the night. In hotel restaurant. Good food. Slow service. Reasonable prices. Again, a commercial type hotel. Not deluxe. I would recommend it highly for one or two nights while you look for longer term housing. You shouldn't need the sweater there. But bring a rain jacket.

Adios. jerezano.

Anonimo

Aug 17, 2005, 2:43 AM

Post #15 of 15 (2032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Hotel in Zacatecas

We "found" the Restaurante "El Tragadero", at Avenida Júarez, "up" from Hidalgo, on the right, on the way to IMSS Hospital. Nothing fancy, but tasty regional food at fair prices. Their soups are outstanding, especially La Sopa de Ajo.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4