Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Anonimo

Aug 10, 2005, 2:34 PM

Post #1 of 15 (5549 views)

Shortcut

Public or Private Transportation?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm a little curious as to how many Mexconnecters living in Mexico generally take buses for intercity travel; or, on the other hand, how many use their own vehicles.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Aug 10, 2005, 2:54 PM

Post #2 of 15 (5535 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Public or Private Transportation?

Bus to Mexico City and to visit friends in other parts of the country.

My car for driving elsewhere, for exploring, for transporting guests.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 10, 2005, 10:16 PM)

Carol Schmidt

Aug 10, 2005, 4:56 PM

Post #3 of 15 (5519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Public or Private Transportation?

Car to go to Costco once a month in either Celaya or Queretaro because we're hauling 80 pounds of cat food back to San Miguel;
car once for a trip where we knew we would be buying a whole lot of stuff at a whole lot of places (the crafts towns around Lake Patzquaro);
and otherwise buses for normal travel to see other places in Mexico.

Carol Schmidt

Bubba

Aug 10, 2005, 5:48 PM

Post #4 of 15 (5506 views)

Shortcut

Personal car at all times except when taking the car the 75 kilometers into Guadalajara for servicing and taking the bus home to Ajijic ($35 Pesos more or less with cab fare paid to the bus station paid by the dealership) unless I am feeling lazy and take a cab for $300 Pesos from the dealership to home.

For really long hauls such as Nuevo Laredo to Guadalajara, the luxury buses are OK if interminable rides. On that trip I never thought we would leave Saltillo. I only did this because I sold my car in San Antonio and needed a ride home. That Greyhound bus station in San Antonio was the first time I have been in one of those places since I joined the Marine Corps in 1960 and took the bus out of Montgomery to Parris Island three years before the Freedom Riders. Nothing had changed except the segregated waiting rooms. At least they didn't try to kill me.

By the way, the last time I took my car in for normal servicing, I took a cab back and the cabbie and I struck up a 75 kilometer conversation in the course of which I was informed by this veteran Guadalajara cabbie that the following is his assessment of the Spanish skills of gringos he has hauled about in Metro Guadalajara:

(1) Eloquent and fluent Spanish 10%
(2) Hillbilly and Laughable Spanish 30%
(3) No Clue 60%

Bubba fit into Category two. I was so proud but then he may have been tip oriented when he told me that.

Carron

Aug 10, 2005, 6:11 PM

Post #5 of 15 (5503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Public or Private Transportation?

Unfortunately my family is only too familiar with the bus station in San Antonio. Within its walls is represented a veritable Who's Who of the Texas mental health system! Time there between buses is best spent reading up in the latest DSM, a diagnostic text widely used in psychiatry. Second best is reviewing "Most Wanted" posters.

But we have traveled literally 10's of thousands of kilometers on Mexican buses and would recommend them for routine long distance travel. A totally different experience from Greyhound.

If you want to get off the beaten path, however, and do some independent exploring of neighboring communities, use either very affordable taxis or drive your own car.

Bubba

Aug 10, 2005, 6:33 PM

Post #6 of 15 (5499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Public or Private Transportation?

You are funny, Carron and right on about the difference between bus travel here and in El Norte. There's nothing like two hours in the San Antonio Greyhound Station to restore your feelings of personal self worth while observing other Greyhound clients until you reflect upon why you are there in the first place. In my case I was able to rationalize that I was there to hook up with a first class luxury bus to Guadalajara once I crossed that border. Unfortunately, ETN had a couple of really bad movies and the toilet in the back was repulsively filthy. That's life.

johnv

Aug 10, 2005, 7:13 PM

Post #7 of 15 (5489 views)

Shortcut

I havn't been on a bus in 25 years and I don't plan on riding them now. I'm single and maintain a truck and a motorcycle. I want to get a car also, but I don't want Mexican Plates on it, as the annual fee is outrageous, especially if it's new, and so is the insurance. So, as soon as my truck is 10 years old, I may nationalize it, then put Mexican plates on it, and get the car with US plates. Personally, I couldn't imagine not having a vehicle. Unless your over 85 years old, real broke, or can't drive.

Don

Aug 10, 2005, 8:46 PM

Post #8 of 15 (5476 views)

Shortcut

We use our personal vehicle, except, we do take the deluxe bus when we visit family in Mexico City.

Bear

Aug 10, 2005, 9:33 PM

Post #9 of 15 (5473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Public or Private Transportation?

Same as Don.
If your auto/truck is older than 10 years, there are infinite advantages in owning a mexican-plated vehicle. Especially crossing the border. An opinion.

jreboll

Aug 11, 2005, 2:16 AM

Post #10 of 15 (5462 views)

Shortcut

How about walking as an alternative? I do a lot more walking when I'm in Mexico.

Uncle Jack

Aug 11, 2005, 3:10 AM

Post #11 of 15 (5462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Public or Private Transportation?

.....once a month?

.....80 pounds?

How big is your friggin cat?

uj

Ed and Fran

Aug 11, 2005, 8:14 PM

Post #12 of 15 (5399 views)

Shortcut

Anonimo: I'm a little curious as to how many Mexconnecters living in Mexico generally take buses for intercity travel; or, on the other hand, how many use their own vehicles.

Just a s.w.a.g., but I'd guess that over the last five years we have been about 60-70% our own car and 30-40% bus. The previous five years we were probably the opposite, with more bus travel.

For us it kind of depends on the type of trip. If we're really time constrained, or just going to one city for a couple of days, or traveling a really long way, we'll probably opt for the bus. Or if we're going to fly out of the country then we'll always take the bus to Mexico City.

If we're going to do some traveling around, if our schedule is a bit more flexible, or if I think we're likely to be going somewhere where we might want to fill the back of the Blazer with handicrafts, then the preference tilts towards our own car.

Regards

Ed & Fran

lakechapaladreamer

Aug 12, 2005, 9:16 AM

Post #13 of 15 (5361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Public or Private Transportation?

I'm curious as to why you go all the way to Mexico City to fly out of country instead of flying out of Guad. Are the tickets that much cheaper?

Ed and Fran

Aug 12, 2005, 9:28 AM

Post #14 of 15 (5356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lakechapaladreamer] Public or Private Transportation?

I'm curious as to why you go all the way to Mexico City to fly out of country instead of flying out of Guad.

Because we live in northern Veracruz, not in the Chapala area.

Regards

E&F

lakechapaladreamer

Aug 12, 2005, 9:38 AM

Post #15 of 15 (5354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Public or Private Transportation?

Ooops! Sorry about the assumption you lived in the Lakeside area! I spend a lot of time in that forum!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4