Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

song_of_joy

Aug 8, 2005, 12:59 PM

Post #26 of 42 (3309 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Handy Mail

Can't Post | Private Reply
As I understand it, it's approximately 30% import tax plus 15% IVA to import electronic goods, such as those Dell computers ordered via their 800 number to a Texas warehouse and shipped UPS to Mexico.

And this is why we pay about 45-50% more for electronics good purchased here. Or so I'm told.

esperanza

Aug 8, 2005, 2:05 PM

Post #27 of 42 (3307 views)

Shortcut

Directly copied and pasted from the UPS website:

Prohibited or Restricted Commodities
In addition to the commodities which UPS prohibits to all countries served, it is prohibited to ship the following commodities to Mexico.

Chinese Origin Goods Chinese Origin Goods made in China, such as plastic toys and clothing, may be subject to high anti-dumping quotas which range in 500+%, which may result in abandonment by the consignee due to the high cost of entry.
Plastic toys from China without an electronic mechanism (for example stuffed animals, Barbie dolls, and cars) will incur a higher anti-dumping quota, as well as the following items:
  • Chinese clothes (man, woman, child; old or used)
  • Chisels
  • Curtains
  • Dishes or loose pieces of ceramic and porcelain
  • Keys
  • Life jackets
  • Padlock
  • Plastic toys (with electronic mechanisms are allowed)
  • Players
  • Presses
  • Punch
  • Screwdrivers
  • Stripping knives
  • Tennis shoes
  • Weaves
  • Wedge

• http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Papirex

Aug 9, 2005, 12:34 PM

Post #28 of 42 (3273 views)

Shortcut

It seems that Handy Mail is the same service offered by Merkalink, which is a service for shipping packages, and letters to Mexico. Merkalink is based in Laredo, Texas; at least that is where their US address is. I have used Merkalink to ship packages and boxes to me here in Cuernavaca. My Merkalink address is also 413 Interamerica Blvd, Suite xxxxxxxxxx Laredo Texas, 78045-7926 and the first four digits of the zip code are the same as for Handy Mail. My suite number is my account number.

You might want to look at Merkalink, http://www.merkalink.com.mx/Ingles/Index.html be fluent in Spanish, or at least be able to read it very well, or have someone that is fluent in Spanish help you when dealing with them. There is no charge for becoming a member of Merkalink, you are only charged when you ship something with them. You will receive an Email from them in Spanish about once per month.

If you do sign up with Merkalink, you will be asked for your appellido, and to enter your RFC number. If you have no RFC number, you will be asked if you want them to generate one for you. Click on yes, your new RFC number will appear, enter that in their online form. Write it down in case you need it again. Your RFC number consists of four letters and six numbers. The four letters are the first and second leteters of you last name, the first letter of the last name of your appellido, snd the first letter of your first name. The six nimbers will be your date of birth in this format: yy/mm/dd. I was confused by this requirement, my wife explained it to me.

You can select English for their website, but after the home page everything is mostly in Spanish. They do have a Mexican 800 number for their customer service department, you can usually contact an English speaking person there. I recommend calling them to see if they will accept a shipment before having it sent to them. One of our daughters sent us a box containing canned and boxed food. They absolutely refused to send it to us, even though there was no prohibited food in the box. I had to have them ship the box back to my daughter at my expense.

Merkalink uses a customs broker to determine the amount of customs duty that is due, and they notify you in your online account how much it will be. They have a list of the percentage of import duty due and for what items. Since Mexico and China just recently signed a free trade agreement, I don’t think many sites have updated their import duties due on Chinese goods yet.

Any clothing is still taxed at 50%, computers at 27%, etc. They have a list of the import duties charged for various items. I have used them to import several computer parts, and a laptop computer is on the way here now, laptops are duty free if you carry it with you in to the country, they are taxed if they are shipped to you here. I have never been charged more than 27% import duty for computer related items, including the laptop that is on the way here now. They will not accept any item with a value of more than $1000 US Dlls.

Merkalink ships using Estafeta in Mexico. Estafeta is the best, and most reliable shipping company in Mexico. They have their own trucks and drivers, deliverymen are Estafeta employees and will know your town. All the other companies I have used just hire anyone it seems to deliver their packages, they almost always have to call us a couple of times to get directions to our house. they arrive in their private cars, one guy showed up in a taxi to make a delivery.

It is never cheap to ship anything to Mexico from The US, but Merkalinks rates are reasonable. The shipping charges vary with the value of the goods, ranging from $20 to $35 US Dlls for the first 2 kilos plus $1.20 US Dlls for each additional half kilo. Those are shipping weights, not net weights. They do ask for an invoice. I have Emailed them invoices, and one time I had to create one using Microsoft Office, and Email them a copy.

I have used FedEx, UPS, and Airborne Express to have things shipped to me here in Cuernavaca, their shipping rates are much higher than Merkalinks, and I do not trust them to collect the proper amount of import duty due. They collect the “taxes” due upon delivery, it is a take it or leave it situation. I was charged 90% import taxes by FedEx for computer related items, and 60% by Airborne. I was given a receipt for the taxes with the letterhead of Aduana on it, but it was just a page from a tablet, I doubt if all that money was sent to Aduana.

Maybe this info will help someone, Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Aug 9, 2005, 1:23 PM)

esperanza

Aug 9, 2005, 1:24 PM

Post #29 of 42 (3248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Handy Mail

Using the Merkalink site, I calculated the cost of shipping one Chinese toy weighing 5 kilos and valued at $25.00 USD from the USA to Mexico.

Merkalink's calculations:

Nota: Las tasas aplicables para importación de artículos de origen chino son del 17% y aplican tasas compensatorias de hasta el 531%

Para conocer el costo total aproximado de importación y envío de sus artículos, introduzca la cantidad, el precio y el peso de los mismos:

Cantidad: Tipo de Producto: Accesorios/Deporte Artículos de piel Casa y Jardin Calzado Computadoras/Accesorios Consumibles Oficina Electronicos Juguetes Libros Musica en CD y otros Ropa Refacciones Regalos Salud y Belleza Software Videos Otros Costo del artículo (unitario): usd. Costo del envío USA
    (de la tienda a Laredo):
    usd. País de origen: Afganistán Albania Alemania Andorra Angola Anguilla Antártida Antigua y Barbuda Antillas Holandesas Arabia Saudí Argelia Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaiyán Bahamas Bahrein Bangladesh Barbados Bélgica Belice Benin Bermudas Bielorrusia Birmania Bolivia Bosnia y Herzegovina Botswana Brasil Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Bután Cabo Verde Camboya Camerún Canadá Chad Chile China Chipre Ciudad del Vaticano (Santa Sede) Colombia Comores Congo Congo, República Democrática del Corea Corea del Norte Costa de Marfíl Costa Rica Croacia (Hrvatska) Cuba Dinamarca Djibouti Dominica Ecuador Egipto El SalvadorEmiratos Árabes Unidos Eritrea Eslovenia España Estados Unidos Estonia Etiopía Fiji Filipinas Finlandia Francia Gabón Gambia Georgia Georgia del Sur y las islas Sandwich del Sur Ghana Gibraltar Granada Grecia Groenlandia Guadalupe Guam Guatemala Guayana Guayana Francesa Guinea Guinea Ecuatorial Guinea-Bissau Haití Honduras Hong Kong Hungría India Indonesia Irak Irán Irlanda Isla Bouvet Isla de Christmas Islandia Islas Caimán Islas Cook Islas de Cocos o Keeling Islas Faroe Islas Heard y McDonald Islas Malvinas Islas Marianas del Norte Islas Marshall Islas menores de Estados Unidos Islas Palau Islas Salomón Islas Svalbard y Jan Mayen Islas Tokelau Islas Turks y Caicos Islas Vírgenes (EE.UU.) Islas Vírgenes (Reino Unido) Islas Wallis y Futuna Israel Italia Jamaica Japón Jordania Kazajistán Kenia Kirguizistán Kiribati Kuwait Laos Lesotho Letonia Líbano Liberia Libia Liechtenstein Lituania Luxemburgo Macao Macedonia, Ex-República Yugoslava de Madagascar Malasia Malawi Maldivas Malí Malta Marruecos Martinica Mauricio Mauritania Mayotte México Micronesia Moldavia Mónaco Mongolia Montserrat Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Nicaragua Níger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Noruega Nueva Caledonia Nueva Zelanda Omán Países Bajos Panamá Papúa Nueva Guinea Paquistán Paraguay Perú Pitcairn Polinesia Francesa Polonia Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reino Unido República Centroafricana República Checa República de Sudáfrica República Dominicana República Eslovaca Reunión Ruanda Rumania Rusia Saint Kitts y Nevis Samoa Samoa Americana San Marino San Vicente y Granadinas Santa Helena Santa Lucía Santo Tomé y Príncipe Senegal Seychelles Sierra Leona Singapur Siria Somalia Sri Lanka St. Pierre y Miquelon Suazilandia Sudán Suecia Suiza Surinam Tailandia Taiwán Tanzania Tayikistán Territorios británicos del océano Índico Territorios franceses del Sur Timor Oriental Togo Tonga Trinidad y Tobago Túnez Turkmenistán Turquía Tuvalu Ucrania Uganda Uruguay Uzbekistán Vanuatu Venezuela Vietnam Yemen Yugoslavia Zambia Zimbabue Seleccione una de las dos siguientes opciones: Peso Físico

Peso:
    Kilogramos Libras
    Peso Volumétrico

Largo Alto Ancho
    Centímetros Pulgadas
    ¿Desea seguro Opcional? Si No
    Impuestos: $101.00 usd. sobre el producto $ 2.04 usd. sobre el envío USA $ 103.04 usd. Sub-Total Impuestos Manejo: $ 20.00 usd. Precio Base $ 20.00 usd. Sub-Total Manejo 3% por uso de TC: $ 3.09 usd. (solo sobre impuestos) TOTAL: $ 126.13 usd.
    Los juguetes Chinos tienen tasa compensatoria del 404%
    (Chinese toys have a compensatory duty rate of 404%)

So the cost of the toy is $25.00 and the shipping charge (including 404% duty and the Merkalink handling fee of $20.00 USD) is $126.13. Wow.

I'm interested in what you mentioned about the free trade agreement recently signed between Mexico and China. I must have missed reading about that in the Guadalajara papers. Could you kindly give us more information--a date, some data? I can't find anything at all about it on line.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Papirex

Aug 9, 2005, 4:14 PM

Post #30 of 42 (3228 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Handy Mail

Esperanza, Sorry I can’t give you any solid dates, but the negotiations for the China-Mexico free trade agreement was carried in several of the online new services on the Mexconnect home page, and had considerable TV coverage on the Mexican news channels. I believe that the Chinese minister of foreign trade came to Mexico to negotiate for his country. That may not be his exact title, but he was a high official in the Chinese government.

On cable TV here in Cuernavaca we get TV Azteca, and Televisa news from Mexico City. They have both had coverage of the negotiations for the agreement in the last few months.

I did read on one of the online newspapers that an agreement was reached a few weeks ago. I did not note when it was to take effect though. Possibly it is not in effect yet, or maybe Merkalinks software hasn’t been updated yet. You might want to try calling Merkalinks toll free Mexican customer service number 01-800-614-7622.

How’s that for weasel words? I shoulda been a politician.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

esperanza

Aug 9, 2005, 5:02 PM

Post #31 of 42 (3223 views)

Shortcut

Yes, I remember when the Chinese official came to Mexico to meet with President Fox. I'm not sure they ever actually reached an agreement and signed it, however. That would have been banner-headline news, given the current Mexican stance toward Chinese imports.

I'll ask around.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

lakechapaladreamer

Aug 9, 2005, 5:36 PM

Post #32 of 42 (3219 views)

Shortcut

Rex,

Handy Mail is not affiliated with Merkalink.

I copied and pasted your info into an email to Dryden, the owner of Handy Mail. Here is his reply (the information data he is referring to is included in my earlier post.):

"In our Information Data we mention Merkalink. They and Estafeta are one company which ships all or about all of the mail in Mexico, including ours. Several mail forwarding firms have an address on Interamerica Blvd. in Laredo, Texas. Our Zip Code is 78045-8285, at Warehouse #1. Merkalink will ship packages, check them out at Merkalink.com. Click on the USA flag for English. I have been in the warehouse and made friends with the manager. The basic charge for all packages is $15. USD + weight and Heaven knows what else.. We will NOT handle packages. It's the best way to lose friends. Again I suggest you handle packages as I previously wrote. "

Dryden is very nice and quick to respond to emails. I have definitely decided to use his company for our mail forwarding and I am still researching how to handle items that won't fit in a padded envelope (as mentioned in his info in earlier post)

Jerry@Ajijic

Aug 9, 2005, 5:46 PM

Post #33 of 42 (3218 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Handy Mail

I thought we had a "free trade" agreement with the US and Canada but there must be many exceptions, like books?

johanson

Aug 9, 2005, 6:07 PM

Post #34 of 42 (3213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lakechapaladreamer] Handy Mail

I want to second your comments about Dryden. I know both Dryden and his wife for perhaps eight years now. They are wonderful and honorable people. I would feel very comfortable doing business with them.

Jerry@Ajijic

Aug 10, 2005, 8:29 AM

Post #35 of 42 (3181 views)

Shortcut

I also have know Juan Pablo, the owner of the place where the boxes are located, for about 8 years and he is a very fine and honest young man.

(This post was edited by Jerry@Ajijic on Aug 10, 2005, 8:31 AM)

lakechapaladreamer

Nov 13, 2006, 11:56 AM

Post #36 of 42 (3101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skelleyhoutex] Handy Mail

I was wondering if you could give us an update on how MBE is working out regarding your prescription drugs. Are you getting them reliably and if MBE charges you extra, what are the charges?

Thanks!

PS: Is anyone else out there using MBE for this purpose? How about Handy Mail? We use Medco for our 3 month supplies and they ship in white plastic 10 1/4"x13 1/4" x2 1/8" unpadded envelopes and there are no markings identifying the contents (the addressee is MHS Services). It isn't hard, however, to figure out that there are bottles of pills inside.

patricio_lintz

Nov 13, 2006, 7:47 PM

Post #37 of 42 (3056 views)

Shortcut

Handy mail does not take packages. Only envelopes.

NEOhio1

Nov 14, 2006, 6:14 AM

Post #38 of 42 (3026 views)

Shortcut

Medcos pill envelopes are obvious.

Our Medco rep told us to write a letter requesting an exemption from the 90 supply and to ask for the length of supply we thought we would need between visits to the US where we would pick up a new supply at a relative or friends - no PO boxes. They were not unfamiliar with the situation, just referred to it as a "vacation" level supply - and we do pay the double cost.

Also our family physician doubled up on our easy meds to the maximum daily dosage protocol. For instance one med we take at one 10 mg per day has a maximum protocol of 3 a day which for 90 days is 270 pills. We started this last year, so we have a years worth in reserve and will get another 6 months over the holidays. This is particularly easy to do with anti-depressants, xanax, etc....

As per reimbursement for Mexican meds you will have to have the doctor write each medicine on a prescription sheet - don't double up. Get two of each med. Keep one and give the other to the pharmacist to fill. Since Mexican meds come in blister packs that don't come out to 30 or 60 resign yourself to loosing reimbursement on the couple extra pills. Make sure your box has the price on it and keep the box. Buy each medication separately so each has its own register receipt. Have the pharmacist or doctor write the US equivalent name on the prescription. Attach the medicine box(es) and register receipt to the prescription form, print a peso/US exchange rate for the day sheet and calculate your reimbursement amount and write it on the sheet and attach those to the Medco reimbursement form.

You can ask them to pre-pay your next prescriptions for delivery to the US address with the reimbursement, they will just credit your account and draw off of it.

When you call Medco ask specifically for the "foreign reimbursement" division. Get a name and number - be sure to ask that person how long they have been with Medco since new people don't know all the ways it can work. And everyone will have a different answer.

Good luck!

skelleyhoutex

Nov 14, 2006, 12:33 PM

Post #39 of 42 (3002 views)

Shortcut

It is my understanding that MBE is the only entity around here that has the license to import drugs. We get our drugs in about three weeks, more or less. We get charged the 18% duty plus shipping from Laredo to here. Sometimes I think this charge is at the whim of whoever is handling the transaction. We have not had anything lost that was ADDRESSED CORRECTLY AND HAD AN INVOICE IN IT (for customs). With our prescription medicine insurance, it still is about $200 cheaper than buying the drugs on the street. And I take one that is not available locally. It was dicey getting it set up but has been running smoothly for the last year.

lakechapaladreamer

Nov 15, 2006, 4:11 PM

Post #40 of 42 (2945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Handy Mail

Thank you all for the info! I just got off the phone with Medco and was able to request an extra 3 month supply of our meds, for a total of 6 months. It will arrive before we leave on the 1st and then after that we will have the 6 month supply sent to a relative, who will repackage them and send it to our Handy Mail address. Medco had no problem with this. It doesn't require any authorization or waiver unless you want more than a 6 month supply at a time. Also, they will send to P.O. boxes and/or a friend or relative's address. Problem solved!

NEOhio1

Nov 15, 2006, 7:35 PM

Post #41 of 42 (2921 views)

Shortcut

That's terrific! One less thing to think about, congrats!

Mark Landes

Nov 18, 2006, 5:56 PM

Post #42 of 42 (2868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MG Rabon] Handy Mail

We are fighting back -- by opening WalMarts in China. Heard in a Shanghai alley "Gee I couldn't find anything made in American at WalMart."
    Mark
    First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4