Forums  > General > General Forum

Paul Carrigan Jr.

Aug 8, 2005, 2:43 PM

Post #1 of 8 (6851 views)

Shortcut

Buying a vehicle in MX

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola Amigos/Amigas:

This is my initial post so desculpe if I screw it up.

We are moving to Puerto Vallarta early next year and it looks like our car won't make it south of the border - so we're weighing advantages of buying a new vehicle here or in PV/GDL. (We intend to stay in MX and travel a bunch.)

I've read all the postings on this subject - thanks everyone! - and am seeking any further ideas or input. My ideal buy is a 4x4, crew cab pickup with a tall suspension for the topes (?) in PV - I'd also like to know if hybrids are being sold in Mexico.

My Mexconnect address is pjcarriganjr@yahoo.com - you can also write me at pjcarriganjr@sbcglobal.net

Saludos, Paul

LindaM

Aug 8, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #2 of 8 (6796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Paul Carrigan Jr.] Buying a vehicle in MX

Paul, I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything but maybe someone with experience can answer this. I seem to remember reading several different times that the new car warranty of a car purchased in the US is not honored in Mexico. If this is true it might help you make your decision.

Adrian

Aug 8, 2005, 7:50 PM

Post #3 of 8 (6787 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My ideal buy is a 4x4, crew cab pickup with a tall suspension for the topes (?) in PV - I'd also like to know if hybrids are being sold in Mexico.

Paul
The Mexican market version of the Ford 'F' series PU is the Ford 'Lobo' - available in a very nice 4x4 crew cab configuration. But with a V8 they are not exactly an aconomical runaround. Have you thought about a minivan? The Chrysler Voyager series can be had here new for around MN$200,000 in its base version.

Mi dos cantavos
,-)

Adrian

Rolly

Aug 9, 2005, 5:57 AM

Post #4 of 8 (6753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LindaM] Buying a vehicle in MX

Linda, some warrenties are OK in Mexico and some aren't. You need to check with the car company.

Rolly Pirate

hoyafb95

Aug 9, 2005, 7:30 AM

Post #5 of 8 (6728 views)

Shortcut

See http://mx.autos.yahoo.com/

Carol Schmidt

Aug 9, 2005, 8:35 AM

Post #6 of 8 (6707 views)

Shortcut

Why a gigantic 4x4 crew cab pickup for all the time? The few times you'll need that pick up rear to haul a load you can hire one of the pickup taxis--I assume they're in PV as well as San Miguel. You can get a small car-sized SUV with high clearance for topes for a lot cheaper with much better mileage, and you can park it and make turns on narrow streets much easier.

Carol Schmidt

juditha16

Aug 9, 2005, 10:07 AM

Post #7 of 8 (6682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LindaM] Buying a vehicle in MX

When I emailed Honda in Morelia, they told me they will not honor the new car warranty on my 2004 Honda Element.
Judith

hoyafb95

Aug 9, 2005, 1:11 PM

Post #8 of 8 (6652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juditha16] Buying a vehicle in MX

That is because Honda Mexico would foot the bill entirely on a car they never sold.

You may want to contact Honda USA to see if they could reimburse warranty costs through internal costs with Honda Mexico or send a credit to your credit card following the repairs. I have heard of this being done in Mexico through some friends.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4