Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Georgia

Aug 1, 2005, 6:26 PM

Post #26 of 57 (3916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
Well, I don't know about the theory in Mexico, however, when I spent some time in the Amazon they absolutely didn't have toilet seats... and we all preferred it that way. No critters between the layers to surprise you. Or bite you. Toilet seats are something of a hazard in truly tropical areas.

julietl

Aug 1, 2005, 9:20 PM

Post #27 of 57 (3886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
When you get robbed you go tell your friend's big cousin, rather than going to the cops

You kiss everyone you meet on the cheek

You spend the first 15 minutes talking about anything else but business to a business associate

A shot of tequila is a normal way to start a meal

You say "este", before any sentence

You start to wear high heels, tight clothes and lipstick, ....to go pick up the morning newspaper

English words start to look strange, and you have to go to "dictionary.com" to make sure you spelled them korrectley

It seems normal to be 2 inches away from their face when talking to someone you just met

Your single girlfriends never actually sleep with any of their boyfriends, but how they dance with them is banned in many southern US states

(This post was edited by julietm on Aug 1, 2005, 9:28 PM)

NickP

Aug 2, 2005, 6:53 AM

Post #28 of 57 (3828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
.....you no longer get upset when others ignore what "waiting-in-line" means and walk up to the counter for instant service bypassing everyone else.

........you bring all your friends and family too the airport to pick someone up.

.......you find yourself riding shotgun in the back of a pick-up truck.

Ed and Fran

Aug 2, 2005, 7:41 AM

Post #29 of 57 (3814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
.....you no longer get upset when others ignore what "waiting-in-line" means and walk up to the counter for instant service bypassing everyone else.

I still need to work on that one.....

talosian

Aug 3, 2005, 3:07 PM

Post #30 of 57 (3703 views)

Shortcut

You know you are in Mexico when

| Private Reply
you make sure there is a $100 peso bill folded into your car registration.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

Ms_Powell

Aug 3, 2005, 3:59 PM

Post #31 of 57 (3685 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
When you shop for shoes in a U.S. department store, and shake hands with the salesman on leaving.
------------------

"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals." -- Benjamin Franklin.

Marlene

Aug 3, 2005, 5:09 PM

Post #32 of 57 (3659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ms_Powell] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
Be serious Ginny! I know you would have kissed that salesperson on the cheek in true Mexican tradition, (both entering the store and leaving!) Your hands would have been full with bags of new shoes that actually fit, making hand-shaking especially awkward.

Ms_Powell

Aug 3, 2005, 5:39 PM

Post #33 of 57 (3650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
Well, I just about gave him a kiss. He was cute!! But, thank God, I caught myself just in time and only shook his hand. It really surprised him!!

Juanita was with me. She was carrying the bags. When we are up in the States, I use her as a pack horse.
------------------

"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals." -- Benjamin Franklin.

Marlene

Aug 3, 2005, 7:31 PM

Post #34 of 57 (3616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] You know you are in Mexico when

| Private Reply

you make sure there is a $100 peso bill folded into your car registration.

Why Talosian? Surely you do not drive a stolen car, or are on the lam?

(This post was edited by Marlene on Aug 3, 2005, 8:06 PM)

esperanza

Aug 3, 2005, 7:58 PM

Post #35 of 57 (3603 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] You know you are in Mexico when

| Private Reply
Yeah, I didn't get that one either.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

manda405

Aug 3, 2005, 9:21 PM

Post #36 of 57 (3581 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
...A hot shower is the next best thing to heaven
...Pepsi and tequila at room temp is your drink of choice
...You hurry out of bed at 5 am to buy fresh bread as they pass by, only to return to bed for another 2 hours
...you send your 8 yr nephew to the store down the street to buy a "six"
...you don't put forks out on the table with dinner, just a huge pile of steaming tortillas
...you have milk, juice, and water in the fridge but you go buy 3Lt bottle of Coca before every meal
...when driving in the US you have to constantly remind yourself to use your turn signals

What happens down in Mexico...Stays in Mexico.

NickP

Aug 4, 2005, 10:56 AM

Post #37 of 57 (3523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [manda405] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
.....you start using T-shirts as seat covers.

......you now know the 'true meaning' of what "Shave and a haircut, two bits" means when played over a car horn.

......you discouver at 3 a.m. Guad has a Red Light district for Mariachi Bands.

gbatrucks

Aug 4, 2005, 12:36 PM

Post #38 of 57 (3503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
LOL - just a few days ago we were discussing how to resolve the toilet paper issue when going places in Mexico.

Christa
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Bubba

Aug 4, 2005, 1:23 PM

Post #39 of 57 (3484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
It's simple, Trucks, always wipe your butt with your left hand and eat with your right hand.

I now have a confession to make. We always flush our toilet paper down the commode with the fecal matter. In four years that paper has flowed through the municipal waste disposal system of our town without incident. There must be some myth we have exposed here.

Rolly

Aug 4, 2005, 1:37 PM

Post #40 of 57 (3480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
Oh Bubba, that no-TP-in-the-pot myth gets hashed over here every couple of years. I am always amazed at the people who ought to know better who still believe it. I have heard some the most ridiculous explanations for not flushing. I wish we could get the "Myth Busters" TV program to take it on -- not that it would do any good.

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Aug 4, 2005, 2:23 PM

Post #41 of 57 (3461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
Rolly:

I presume you mean that flushing toilet paper down the commode is normally an acceptable practice. Yet, we see constant reminders even in nice hotels that that practice is not acceptable. There are those among us who like to see soiled toilet paper go away and find a waste basket full of used toilet paper next to the toilet disconcerting. What is the real story?

There was this great movie a few years ago about illegal immigrants in the U.S. from Guatamala called Del Norte and I still remember the desperately poor country kids from Guatamala staring at the filthy toilet in the dive they lived in in the U.S. and exclaiming, "Look, you push the handle and the pee disappears!"

Of course, I was 15 before I realized that girls farted and then only because my music teacher inadvertently farted in my face. What a disappointment!

Marlene

Aug 4, 2005, 2:25 PM

Post #42 of 57 (3459 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Oh Rolly, how right you are! That is just one aspect of Mexico that will remain confusing for tourists for eternity. Some of the establishments have signs "do not flush paper" but others (that win awards for "going green" ) have large signs to indicate that you MUST flush. I often wonder if the Flush Police will be stationed at the door.

gpk

Aug 4, 2005, 2:41 PM

Post #43 of 57 (3454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [manda405] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
manda405--I declare you the winner--these are the most "Mexican" of answers--are you sure you are not a paisano?

Rolly

Aug 4, 2005, 3:11 PM

Post #44 of 57 (3444 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"I presume you mean that flushing toilet paper down the commode is normally an acceptable practice."

No, that is not what I meant. I was talking about the myth that paper will stop-up the works, thus should not be flushed. That nonsense is widely believed in Mexico.

Rolly Pirate

Esteban

Aug 4, 2005, 3:17 PM

Post #45 of 57 (3441 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Flushing paper can be a problem and you have to know WHY. First, the "throats" of the toilets, whether they be in bumfriggin North Dakota or southern Chiapas, wear out. A used toilet is generally not worth saving. The throats lose their smoothness and do not work. It's a matter of physics pertaining to friction.

Second, another factor is the size of the discharge pipe. If the pipe is too small, which is the case in many old Mexican designs, the sides of the discharge pipe will, over the years, become smaller and smaller in diameter. Not only will it become smaller, it will become rougher and continue to catch toilet paper. Another reason to not flush. And, if the size of the log is demasiado, forget it. Flush and run.

However, there are good designs, even good old designs and if the toilet is new, don't worry, be happy. You'll know quickly if it works or not.

jreboll

Aug 4, 2005, 4:26 PM

Post #46 of 57 (3413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
You also have to remember that toilet paper was not commonly used not too long ago. You would go to the farmacia to get a roll only when there were guests in the house. The rest of the time one would use old newspapers or better yet, the white paper that came in shoe boxes.

manda405

Aug 4, 2005, 5:55 PM

Post #47 of 57 (3389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
I guess I'm as close as you can get without actually being one. I don't want to start that whole "real" Mexico thing again, but I lived in La Mira, Michoacan with my in-laws for almost two years. I was the ONLY gringa in town, actually the only one for at least 2 hours in all directions. I learned Spanish there and have been told that if you weren't looking, you'd think I was Mexican when I speak. It always surprises people to see little me with my blonde hair and blue eyes speaking Spanish and haggling the price of the frijoles at the market.

Here's some more for you...
...Paying the asking price is out of the question.
...You make friends with the old guy on the corner asking for monedas even though you never give him any money.
...A five minute walk to the market ends up taking over an hour and you are usually buzzed by the time you get there and rarely come home with what you set out to buy.
...You've learned not to greet the neighbors walking by your house unless you are willing to have at least a half hour conversation with them.

What happens down in Mexico...Stays in Mexico.

Georgia

Aug 4, 2005, 6:07 PM

Post #48 of 57 (3380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
Actually, I purchased, in the US, the best item: it's a mini-roll of Charmin in a clear plastic discreet dispenser. When it's gone, just roll up some more and put it in. Easy to stick in your purse. The TP doesn't disintegrate, stays clean, etc. etc.

carlw

Aug 5, 2005, 9:21 AM

Post #49 of 57 (3296 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have many Mexican and Central AMerican friends who have been here in the USA for 10 or more years, speak English and know other Americans. When they visit and need to use the restroom, I have to be sure there is a wastebasket near the toilet, otherwise the tp is left in a neat pile on the floor. I have told them all about flushing the paper, and they have explained to me at great length how I am wrong, that I must not flush the paper

MARIA CUERVA

Aug 5, 2005, 9:40 AM

Post #50 of 57 (3285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carlw] You know you live or you've lived in Mexico when........

| Private Reply
And we perpetuate these habits when we live in the states! You think?
I live in a 400 yr old double adobe in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The drains
are very old. I have found that there are no problems if I keep a waste basket
for the toilet paper. I tell the few people I welcome into my house that that is
where the toilet paper goes. And gosh, yes there will be evidence that they
shit! As if the smell alone wasn't an indicator. People's diets! Sheesh.
I remember when the Navajos came. They are mutton eaters!
As for arbitrary lines, New Mexico was ours. We lament the loss forever as the
culture maintains.

(This post was edited by cuerva on Aug 5, 2005, 9:42 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4