Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bubba

Aug 1, 2005, 1:46 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5242 views)

Shortcut

Climate Change May be Fueling Storms

Can't Post | Private Reply
I picked up this heading directly from the Miami Herald "International Addition" as of Monday, August 1st and then I read the article written, subjectivley by some twit named Martin Merzer of the Herald staff.

The headline should have read: "Idiots May be Fueling Stupidity"

Just read these excerpts:

"The accumulated power of Atlantic hurricanes has more than doubled in the past 30 years with a particularly dramatic spike since 1995 and global warming is a major cause according to a study to be published this week."

"The large upswing in the last decade is unprecedented and probably reflects the effect of global warning", said some clown with MIT.

Listen to more laughable "objective" writing from Mr. Merzer:

"Importantly (meaning that what we are about to read is important and, thus, not to be taken lightly), his study did not shed any light on the effect of global warming,if any, on the number of storms

"But that is only of modest consolation." (What the hell does that mean?"

Is this guy reporting or preaching?

"Another source of concern: Most experts expect global warming to persist."

There is a whole lot more of this sort of claptrap in this "news" article but I will not bore you with it.

Here is my point:

I grew up on the Alabama/Florida Gulf Coast in the 1940s and I cannot quote you any statistics but that area in the first part of the 20th Century was far more hurricane prone than it was "...in the last 30 years." If we had "global warming back then it was from breathing out gin fumes and bean farts.

The French founded the administrative capital of French Louisiana in the 18th Century on Dauphin Island, Alabama and moved the thing to New Orleans after God kicked their butts out with hurricanes and smallpox.

The amount of time they have been keeping hurricane statistics relative to the history of the planet would not amount to the longevity of a gnat's ass.

When I lived in Northern California for over 30 years, with its cyclical weather, one decade we drowned and the next we dried up and every time it was because some other fartblossom was driving something he or she shouldn't be driving or burning coal top make electricity. It was never our fault and it always went away.

In 1973, I pulled into gas stations in Santa Rosa, California many times after waiting in line for an hour with the certain knowledge that there would be no oil left on the planet by 1980.

And my favorite:

This is the year that Lake Chapala will totally disappear according to the prognostications of a certain learned soul who now lives in Mazatlan to which place he escaped to avoid the catastrophe. Adios and good riddance.

I must edit this to say to you all that I think there may be detriment to the climate brought about by irresponsible use of fossil fuels but I am old enough to take everything with a grain of salt. The only thing I am certain is true is that sheep farts have destroyed the ozone layer and in order to remedy that problem we must BBQ sheep in great abundance and feast upon them (with cous cous and garlic) until we all die of heart failure and no longer give a rat's ass about the ozone layer or the Earth for that matter.

My Number One Hero George Carlin likes to say, "What's all this crap about valuing life? The only people who value life are people who are alive. After that, I guarantee you you do not give a shit!"

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 1, 2005, 5:17 PM)

mkdutch

Aug 1, 2005, 2:18 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Climate Change May be Fueling Storms

Right on, Bubba...now if we could just get all "reporters" to objectively report the news, cite sources, and refrain from injecting their obvious political bias into their articles, and not identifying it as such...8^)...Dutch

ms mac

Aug 1, 2005, 3:51 PM

Post #3 of 6 (5202 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Climate Change May be Fueling Storms

What did they blame natural disasters on before Global Warming?
ms mac

esperanza

Aug 1, 2005, 3:56 PM

Post #4 of 6 (5199 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] Climate Change May be Fueling Storms

The Loch Ness Monster.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sfmacaws

Aug 1, 2005, 4:56 PM

Post #5 of 6 (5177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] Climate Change May be Fueling Storms

God!

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

ms mac

Aug 1, 2005, 5:01 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Climate Change May be Fueling Storms

Ah, yes, God's Will. Good Catholic that I was, how could I forget that?
ms mac

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4