Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

abbottsk

Jul 28, 2005, 8:00 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2464 views)

Shortcut

Re: Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
If this was your first trip to Guad would you stay in Guad and travel to the other outlying places like Lake Chapala/Ajijic or would you stay in Ajijic and travel into Guad. Just wondering which place we would be spending more time at. If its Guad any suggestions as to where to stay. We will also be renting a car and we would like to rent it for as little time as possible (since they are no bargain).
Thanks for any input.

Kelli

1ajijic

Jul 28, 2005, 8:32 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abbottsk] Guadalajara

Most people seem to stay at lakeside and day trip into the city. The bus is 45p (?) and any taxi in the city is 25p +/-.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

maw7815

Jul 28, 2005, 1:01 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Guadalajara

I think you meant to say 250 pesos for taxi to Guad
Mary Ann Waite

bdlngton

Jul 28, 2005, 4:24 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maw7815] Guadalajara

Having been in and out of Guadalajara a number of times over the last month with visitors, I can tell you that the bus fare one-way is 35 pesos. A taxi from the bus station to downtown Guadalajara (let's say the cathedral) is 30 pesos. About the same back to the bus station if you catch a taxi in the downtown. I think a taxi from Ajijic to Guadalajara would run about 450 pesos. A taxi to the airport from Ajijic is about 250 pesos, unless you have to leave before the rooster crows, as my friends did yesterday, then it was 280 pesos.
Susy

bdlngton

Jul 28, 2005, 4:34 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2369 views)

Shortcut

I think you need to look at your reason for the trip. Is your primary focus to be a tourist and see Guadalajara? Or is it to check out Ajijic and Lake Chapala area for a possible move?

If you are coming primarily as a tourist, stay in Guadalajara and take a day trip to lakeside. That can be done easily by taking a taxi to the old bus station and catching a bus to Ajijic. They run every half hour, except on weekends when the schedule is not as frequent. You can get off at Ajijic and explore the town. I stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple of years ago in Guadalajara and really liked it. It is located on Avenida Juarez and is close to everything in the downtown you would want to see. You can catch taxis to other places you might want to go, like Tlaquepaque or Tonala, for about 100 pesos one way. We started at another hotel, whose name I will not mention, that had really gone downhill since my last stay there. We walked into the Holiday Inn and got a great price. You can also get great rates at Holiday Inn through the internet. You can also get a discount from posted rates by joining their frequent user club. I had the Holiday Inn ask me to fill out the form to join, then I registered for the room and got an automatic discount on the spot.

If, however, your purpose is to check out Lakeside for possibly moving here, then definitely stay here and take the bus into Guadalajara one or two days to be a tourist.

Or, of course, if your stay is long enough, you could divide your time between the two places, say 3 nights in Guadalajara and 4 nights in Ajijic.
Susy

skelleyhoutex

Jul 30, 2005, 7:01 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdlngton] Guadalajara

And I might add the buses out of Chapala are quite nice. We took the shuttle bus into Chapala. A grandmother (Mexican) held her granddaughter so I could sit down. The Chapala buses are numbered to correspond with your ticket so you won't get on the wrong bus. They leave on time. They are air conditioned and the one time we rode into Guad we saw a movie on Michael Jordan. The fare for two of us in March was approximately $14.00. Both bus stations were very clean - not the least bit scarry which is more than I can say about the Houston bus stations. Since we did not know where we were going, the first time out we took a taxi. It was $45.00.

Georgia

Aug 1, 2005, 6:50 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2174 views)

Shortcut

Depending on what you intend to do while here, if you stay in or near Guadalajara, I would recommend Quinta Don Jose in Tlaquepaque. They have wonderful service. Great breakfasts. A free masseur. They'll arrange a driver for you, if that's what you would like. (We did that when we first came, and it was the best money we spent!) Aside from regular rooms, there are small suites with kitchenettes. A pool. Their website is www.quintadonjose.com.

abbottsk

Aug 1, 2005, 7:11 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Guadalajara

Thank you I will check out their website.
Kelli

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4