Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

zoeq1000

Jul 26, 2005, 7:57 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2293 views)

Shortcut

Water filtration

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone use a distilled water system in their homes in Mexico? We are thinking this is the best alternative to filtering drinking water.

In the process of remodeling, I have been doing some checking on water filtration. I have been quoted $1300/year to rent a system and the company replaces for free the filters, etc and does free maintenace. Then, I got a quote on a water filtration system to buy and it was $3300 Plus IVA. I do have a big house. Then we would have to maintain it.

I'm thinking that distilled water maker does not require maintenance and gives the purest of water. Any thoughts out there?

Esteban

Jul 26, 2005, 8:30 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeq1000] Water filtration

Before you can make an accurate assumption, you must test the water. From that information you can decide which system is best for your situation. If you don't do it in this manner, you run the risk of having a system that is either overdone or not capable of dealing with your own set of contaminants. In many instances, the tap water is not that bad and for not a lot of money, one can have safe water for the whole house.

esperanza

Jul 26, 2005, 9:06 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2265 views)

Shortcut

Bottled water costs 15-20 pesos per garafón (20 liters).

How many garafones could you buy for $3300 USD? Would you use that many over the course of a year? Let's do the math:

$20 pesos=$2.00 USD

$3300 USD divided by $2 USD=1650 garafones of purified water per year.

1650 divided by 52 weeks=nearly 32 garafones of purified water per week.

32 garafones X 20 liters=640 liters of water per week for your household use. Sounds like a lot to me.

Even at $1300 for the rental, that's still 650 garafones of water per year, or more than twelve a week. I use one garafón (20 liters) a week--of course, it's just me and any guests I might have, but still. IMHO you don't need purified water anywhere in the house other than in your kitchen.

I do a lot of other things with the money I save by buying purified water in garafones from Ciel, Pureza, Santorini, or one of the other purveyors that roam the streets--rather than installing a purification system.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 26, 2005, 10:08 AM)

Bubba

Jul 26, 2005, 9:33 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2254 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Water filtration

Good point, Esperanza. We were on a reverse osmosis and ultra violet system in Northern California because we lived way back in the woods and were dependent on otherwise polluted well water. That thing cost us a fortune and later we found out the the ultra violet light was undependable and could be rendered ineffective with even a slight coating of dust which was inevitable in rural California with its cyclical rainy season. This cost us a fortune and all we really had to do was stock up on bottled water 12 miles down the hill in Santa Rosa. When we seriously thought about it we had really bought the expensive water purifying equipment so we could use our refrigerator's ice machine for the daily scotch and soda. Those must have been the most expensive cocktails on the planet.

A word to all of you thinking of moving here. Repeat this as a mantra. You will not know what you need to do with water and many other things until you have lived here a while. Come on down and live with the bottled purified water sold by vendors in trucks for a pittance and after a couple of years and numerous mistakes you can then make a decision.

Hell, we just cleaned out our aljibe and tinaco after four years (after ruining a clothes washer with sand from the Ajijic municipal water system) and, I swear to God, in the tinaco, which probably had not been cleaned for 30 years, we found what appeared to be the remains of the Creature from the Black Lagoon. His fetid corpse had not made us sick but the unpasteurized yogurt from the tianguis had.

Go figure.

(My wife just corrected me. The well was not polluted after we applied some chlorine, we had the ultra violet light for the koi ponds. Koi love to die of all sorts of mysterious illnesses and cats will wait for hours to pounce on them while Blue Herons will fly all the way from the Pacific Ocean to feast on them. Do not start a koi pond down here. Do not start anything down here until you have the wisdom of time)

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 26, 2005, 9:48 AM)

Gringal

Jul 26, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2197 views)

Shortcut

Home Depot sells a water purification system that we have found very satisfactory for nearly a year now. It is made by Filtroplas, the company that makes the water tanks for the roof. A unit is attached to the faucet and has it's own spigot. A valve is installed to shift back and forth between the filter spigot and the "normal" spigot in the sink. This didn't require a plumber. Filters are changed every six months. The unit cost about $50 US; the filters about $11. We installed one at the kitchen sink and another at the upstairs master bedroom sink. The details are available in flyers at the store.
Considering the floating objects we have seen in the large bottled water containers and the potential hernias and back injuries inherent in lifting those suckers on to the dispenser, we are very happy with our home filtration system. So not every faucet has pure water? The cost conpensates for those small inconveniences.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4