Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Biggles

Jul 24, 2005, 1:36 PM

Post #1 of 17 (1847 views)

Shortcut

Bringing a car (help!)

Can't Post | Private Reply
If all goes well (fingers, legs, toes and eyes are all crossed), I'll be down there within a few weeks, HOWEVER, it's about breaking my heart to think about my car. Hubby wants me to sell it because it rides low to the ground and he thinks it will get chewed up by the cobblestones, etc. It doesn't help that we have a one car garage and his tank wins (it's worth more) although we'll be trading that in soon for something more suitable. So...is it worth it for me to bring my little Mini Cooper there or is he right? If it's going to get ruined by just normal driving, then I'd rather sell and get something out of it. Any recommendations/personal experiences, etc, would be really appreciated.

Many thanks!

Bubba

Jul 24, 2005, 1:46 PM

Post #2 of 17 (1833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Biggles] Bringing a car (help!)

If your car is low to the ground sell the tope hugger now or live with the pain of taking it back to the states for disposition. It's not so much the cobblestones but those topes that will drive you insane if you take any road trips. The mere memory of driving that Chrysler Concorde over countless irregular topes and waiting to hear the sound of metal meeting concrete wakes me up at night nearly two years after getting rid of that monster.

Esteban

Jul 24, 2005, 1:58 PM

Post #3 of 17 (1832 views)

Shortcut

I'd love to have a Mini Cooper...cool car! Bring it down, have a mechanic put a lifter kit in it so it'll be off the ground. If not, sell it to me. How much?

Mini Cooper in Mexico:

http://www.mini.com.mx/

(This post was edited by Esteban on Jul 24, 2005, 2:02 PM)

esperanza

Jul 24, 2005, 2:05 PM

Post #4 of 17 (1828 views)

Shortcut

There are lots of Cooper Minis tooling around in Guadalajara. I've seen them at the lake, too, but they might just be visitors' cars. Esteban's right--they sure are cute!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Biggles

Jul 24, 2005, 2:17 PM

Post #5 of 17 (1824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Bringing a car (help!)

I don't really plan on driving much other than bringing it on down via the cuotas and then little jaunts around the area (ie, Ajijic, Chapala, etc). Will the topes be a problem in the area? I saw a few of the cars while I was there, but it was in Guad, nothing (then) Lakeside. Funny enough, Guad was the only place that I saw one that was the same color (silk green--a fancy way of saying a light shade of green).

Bubba, it sounds like you speak from experience and that gives me a great deal to think about. I'd hate to keep it only to see the roads chew it up and spit it out.

Esteban & Esperanza-you both obviously have great taste in cars!

Thanks!

juan david

Jul 24, 2005, 2:40 PM

Post #6 of 17 (1819 views)

Shortcut

If it's local driving and toll roads you will be okay. Just stick to the routes wrere you know where the topes are. We have a friend here who drives a Cooper and loves it.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

Esteban

Jul 24, 2005, 2:44 PM

Post #7 of 17 (1818 views)

Shortcut

Topes are a problem all over Mexico but I've found that if you drive slow, you'll be able to anticipate them easily and slowly ease over them at a speed that will serve you well. Driving slower is always a good way to be safer. What's the hurry in your retired days? Put a little custom wooden console between the two front seats that will hold two mixed drinks and a small botana . Cruise on and live the life.

Bubba

Jul 24, 2005, 3:29 PM

Post #8 of 17 (1807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Bringing a car (help!)

Esteban:

Are you speaking now of the MARKED and LEGAL topes (approximately 10% of topes in Mexico) or the dreadful non-conforming (ILLEGAL) and unmarked topes that are 90% of the topes in Mexico? Remember this, Biggles, over time you will realize that, by slowing down to one kilometer per hour and crossing the illegal topes at a 45 degree angle, you will only hear that frightening scraping sound every 15 minutes or so.

In my (relatively) new Mexican bought NISSAN that is about 20 feet off the ground, I, by God, speed up when I see a particularly obnoxious tope and float over that sucker like Mohammed Ali floated over Sonny Liston. YES!

AAARRRGHHHH!

Esteban

Jul 24, 2005, 3:41 PM

Post #9 of 17 (1805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Bringing a car (help!)

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd have the car "lifted". As to the topes in my life, there is a center piece missing where I put one side of the car. This allows you to hit them straight on and at a good clip without more than a slight bump. Other than that, most of the topes near here are not too bad and easily navigated using various evasive methods.

(This post was edited by Esteban on Jul 24, 2005, 3:42 PM)

1ajijic

Jul 24, 2005, 3:56 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1800 views)

Shortcut

We know of a MC owner in the village who as had it for several years and has never expressed dissatisfaction.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Howard Botz

Jul 24, 2005, 5:00 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1783 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Bringing a car (help!)

The topes are only a small part of the problem. In my first rental car I had friends that were always bottoming out just driving over the curb into my driveway. Then there are the misplaced rocks all over our streets. I would not bring down any car that is low to the ground. If you lived in Guadalajara that might be different, but here in Ajijic there are lots of obstacles that make me glad my CRV is high centered.

Howard

bella40

Jul 24, 2005, 6:58 PM

Post #12 of 17 (1756 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Bring it down, have a mechanic put a lifter kit in it so it'll be off the ground.

What is involved in having a car lifted? Is it hugely expensive? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated!

(This post was edited by bella40 on Jul 24, 2005, 7:00 PM)

Esteban

Jul 24, 2005, 7:49 PM

Post #13 of 17 (1745 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bella40] Bringing a car (help!)

I don't have a clue how to do it but I've seen cars that have been both raised and lowered. I posted a question on a Mini Cooper website about how to do it. Even though the website forum isn't used that much, I'll wait and maybe I'll get a response. Talk to your local mechanic.

Biggles

Jul 25, 2005, 5:12 AM

Post #14 of 17 (1699 views)

Shortcut

Many thanks!

maw7815

Jul 25, 2005, 4:05 PM

Post #15 of 17 (1625 views)

Shortcut

We also have a mini- cooper that I really love to drive however we will sell next spring- we rented a large 4 door car while down in Ajijic and scraped bottoms and dented a fender backing out a driveway- I was constantly worried about the gas line leaking from all the scrapes and going too fast over topes that weren't marked. Needless to say we are bringing down our other SUV car high off the ground and hope our mini finds a good home!
Mary Ann Waite

1ajijic

Jul 26, 2005, 8:58 PM

Post #16 of 17 (1538 views)

Shortcut

Dear Biggles,
When you arrive do please say hello to your namesake! The "other" Biggles is a quite handsome black standard poodle who lives here in town!
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Biggles

Jul 27, 2005, 7:29 PM

Post #17 of 17 (1453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Bringing a car (help!)

Oh, I love it! Our Biggles is a very dashing shih tzu!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4