Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jaybear

Jul 17, 2005, 4:20 PM

Post #1 of 38 (2978 views)

Shortcut

Like Our Man In Havana...

Can't Post | Private Reply
...I am thinking about vacuum cleaners. That is, whether to leave all of ours behind. I hesitate to address such a humdrum matter, but I would appreciate some advice. I have observed that people in Ajijic sweep their tile floors and wet mop them, and I have not observed a vacuum cleaner in use. Our house in Chula Vista has tile floors, and only small throw rugs. On the other hand, we do have a dog who is a projectile shedder. If the budget allows, we will have maid service, but not every day. We are bringing assorted brooms and mops and a Dustbuster. I am wondering whether to bring our small Orek vacuum as well. Any advice from the neatniks out there?
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

jennifer rose

Jul 17, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #2 of 38 (2947 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Like Our Man In Havana...

Can't Post |
I'm not in Ajijic, but we use the vacuum cleaner at least three times a week. Actually, we use several, ranging from the DustBuster to the electric broom, the canister model, the regular kind and the shop vac. Not everything can be cleaned with a broom and a wet mop. In fact, one of the vacuums needs to be replaced.

viajita

Jul 17, 2005, 5:31 PM

Post #3 of 38 (2930 views)

Shortcut

I had a vacuum cleaner but gave it away. I learned how to take care of the dog hair and dust the Mexican way. Buy on of those straw brooms from the vendors along the highway. It's the very best for getting up the dust and small items like dog hairs. Then buy a mop with cotton fibers. Bring an empty quart plastic milk bottle to the hardware and ask for petroleo. Go home, get a plastic bag, put the mop in the bag, pour about 1/4 of the petroleo onto the mop and close the bag. Let it sit overnight. Use that as a dust mop. It's much better than a vacuum cleaner. When it stops working, sprinkle with petroleo. Only a little will be needed.

Georgia

Jul 17, 2005, 5:36 PM

Post #4 of 38 (2927 views)

Shortcut

If you have sliding doors or windows, the vacuum cleaner is indispensable for cleaning out the tracks. Works better than anything our maid conjured up and she is quite a conjurer.

Howard Botz

Jul 17, 2005, 5:42 PM

Post #5 of 38 (2925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Like Our Man In Havana...

I tell everyone the smartest thing I brought to Mexico was my vacuum cleaner. By all means bring it!!! Nothing is better for picking up the dust and dirt from the tile floor. I used to vacuum my hardwood floors in the States and down here I vacuum the tile floors (It beats spreading the dust all around with a dust mop). Seconding what someone else said, the attachments are great for picking up dirt and dead bobos around the sliding glass doors, spider webs, etc. Yes, bring your vacuum cleaner and don't forget a lifetime supply of vacuum bags.

Howard

jaybear

Jul 18, 2005, 4:36 AM

Post #6 of 38 (2864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] Like Our Man In Havana...

All informative tips! I hope y'all will come over and show me how to do these things when we move down.

All the best,
Tom Sawyer a/k/a

JayBear

julian3345

Jul 18, 2005, 4:45 PM

Post #7 of 38 (2767 views)

Shortcut

By all means, bring your vacuum cleaner! Mine has a cloth bag which is easy to dump and clean...don't have to worry about buying paper inserts. If you have books, upholstered or wood furniture or area rugs, the broom and mop cleaning method will NOT work and in fact, will do damage. Even in my little town, there are guys who can repair most small motor appliances. One caution: I have found that I cannot run the vacuum for as long as I could in California...I think it may have something to do with the amount of power available at the receptacle ??? Like Jennifer, I use a Dust Buster as well as my tank type Dirt Devil. Joan

Oscar2

Jul 18, 2005, 10:51 PM

Post #8 of 38 (2735 views)

Shortcut

I too have had and experienced a number of vacuum cleaners from the bag to bagless, self propelled, to one called the Animal who’s suction is so powerful it eats bowling balls ……………Cheeeeeez! And yet with all of this and others, I finally bit the bullet and bought a robotic Roomba Discovery, irobotic, sold by Sharper Image and now sold by many other merchant/dept. stores.

IMHO, it’s just fabulous. Why, because you turn it on in the center of any room and away it goes. It continues cleaning/vacuuming rugs or tile in any room until the rechargeable battery fades away. You come back whenever you want, change the battery, easily pull a slide out drawer and deposit the debris in a trash can and put it in another room, turn it on and go away. The great thing about it is that it goes under beds, small crawl spaces and cleans where you normally don’t and your floors stay clean with a minimum of effort. Turn it on and walk away, I love it, it’s great! If my memory serves me correctly, I think I seen Costco advertising it. I purchased it with an extended warranty for 5 years for an additional $45.00. If something fails, you call the toll free number, the only question they ask is your address and they send you whatever you ask for to fix it should it fail. They’ve sent me new brushes, filters even new batteries without question or additional charges, shipping prepaid. Check it out!

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Jul 18, 2005, 10:53 PM)

Elaine

Jul 19, 2005, 7:39 AM

Post #9 of 38 (2694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Like Our Man In Havana...

I wondered if those were any good. Now I'll have to check them out as I'm about due for a new vacuum. Thank you for the information.

When one door closes, another opens. Some people are so busy looking at the door that has closed, they don't see the door that has opened. Keep looking for those open doors.

Sherrill

Jul 19, 2005, 8:14 AM

Post #10 of 38 (2682 views)

Shortcut

can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

That settles it, I'm getting a Roomba. Saw the TV ad via Sky and didn't think i could get one delivered here. Great. We have cats and dog. Bet she will bark at it. Lots of fur from all. Seems like the perfect appliance. I really hope I can buy one at a CostCo in Mexico.

Howard Botz

Jul 19, 2005, 8:21 AM

Post #11 of 38 (2679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sherrill] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

I have never seen a Roomba (is this a joke?) at the Costco in Guad, but then I cannot say I was looking for one either. I do not find vacuum cleaners with cloth bags you empty to be as effective at cleaning and you get dust/dirt all over when you try to empty them. If anyone spots a Roomba running around the Guadalajara area please let us know...I am intrigued.

Howard

Oscar2

Jul 19, 2005, 11:28 AM

Post #12 of 38 (2652 views)

Shortcut

I wasn’t certain about the Roomba Discovery purchase at Costco. Perhaps, at one time, I’ve seen it on Costco’s, online sales. In either case do a Google, hopefully you’ll find one in a nearby city at Walmart, Sears or some other major store. When you shop, try and find a place that sells extended warranties. It’s well worth the few extra bucks.

If you have dogs, get an extra battery and be sure to clean the brush which is so easy to remove because it’s such a small package. If you have extremely messy floors, with like dog hair around, drop that sucker down as often as you want and the hair is picked up like clock work with little to practically no effort.

In fact, it comes with a docking station and a remote control. I love the docking station. In the bedroom where the docking station is located, when the battery gets below a certain level, it finds the docking station, aims for it and settles down for a refill (recharge) and it signals when it’s completed. Very user friendly. It’s like a pal around the house when taken well care of.

jaybear

Jul 19, 2005, 1:05 PM

Post #13 of 38 (2636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

They definitely have these up here NOB. I find them intriguing BUT I am not sure that I am at the stage of life where I want have a vacuum cleaner chasing around the house on its own. I was rather looking forward to a quiet life after we move! The simple life, and all that. And, having two left feet, I would probably trip over it. It would keep the dog company, tho, and would offer a nice surprise for burglars when we are away. I can picture it now; shades of the Pink Panther.

JayBear

Sherrill

Jul 19, 2005, 2:37 PM

Post #14 of 38 (2619 views)

Shortcut

I am feeling kinda giddy; gullible. Really, a docking station? When I saw the add I had visions of running it all day and having hairless floors. Sounds like it just might be possible. Thanks for tips on getting extra battery and extended warantee. I tried to buy it for my daughter in CA who has hardwood floors, a baby and cat hair. She said it sounded too weird for her. A big no thanks, ma. But I'm in. I just googled. Check out this website. Everything is true!
http://www.thematuremarket.com/SeniorStrategic/dossier.php?numtxt=2482&idrb=5

jreboll

Jul 19, 2005, 4:27 PM

Post #15 of 38 (2596 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

You're definitely right about tripping over them. One of the things we senior citizens desire is for everything to be in its place. (I hate it when my wife leaves the dog's water bowl in a different place every time.) To have something moving around beneath my site of vision is inviting disaster. I don't need a broken ankle at this stage of my life.

Oscar2

Jul 19, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #16 of 38 (2588 views)

Shortcut

Everything on that website is so true. What’s more, is what is not said. Such as the pleasure of being able to set up perimeters with the touch of a Virtual Wall units button that comes with it. It allows you to set up a virtual infrared wall, a line of demarcation, 3 to 9 feet long, stopping it from going into other rooms, hallways or anywhere else where you don’t want it to go. Yes, at first my dog looked at it strangely, followed it around twisting her head strangely eyeing it while trying to follow it under the couch and getting her big head stuck a couple of times, pawed it a couple but eventually accepted it as another determined member of the house. I’ve turned it on late at night in a distant room, just before going to bed, wake up in the morning and Walla, my floor is clean and in the time it would have taken me to do it, is now extra time to do something I enjoy better. I too, at first, thought it was kind of weird, so I bought it where a good refund and exchange policy existed. That was over a year ago. It’s still with me and if they come out with an improved version that cooks dinner and does shopping, well ...... who knows …………………………. ;-) Have fun!

esperanza

Jul 19, 2005, 5:56 PM

Post #17 of 38 (2577 views)

Shortcut

Wonder what my housekeeper would think of it. It took her a while to adjust to the regular vacuum cleaner and this would really have her in a tizzy. I'd have to set up a virtual wall around her...

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Georgia

Jul 20, 2005, 6:18 AM

Post #18 of 38 (2532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

Actually, I'm thinking of getting one as a companion to Guido the Wonder Dog for when we go on trips. All I'd need to do is spray it with a little essence of French poodle, and he would never miss us.

Kip

Jul 20, 2005, 8:21 AM

Post #19 of 38 (2508 views)

Shortcut

Hi Oscar,

What about hardwood floors with rugs on them? Would there be any problem with the hight adjustment?
kip

Howard Botz

Jul 20, 2005, 10:45 AM

Post #20 of 38 (2478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

I am getting more and more intrigued and wonder if they are available in Guadalajara. I assume they function by a sweeping action rather than a vacuum/sucking action.....question: will they remove the fine dust that covers the floors everything for months at a time here at Lakeside?

Howard

lmaxine

Jul 20, 2005, 11:36 AM

Post #21 of 38 (2458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

If anyone finds this in the Guadalajara area, please post it. I sure think it would be great in my house!
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

Oscar2

Jul 20, 2005, 12:32 PM

Post #22 of 38 (2449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

In two rooms there are hardwood floors with centered standard low profile decretive throw rugs. They are not of the plush or shagged edge type. Any vacuum with high speed roller brushes will snag the tasseled edges of any rug because they are sucked up and ensnarled. If the rug is of a high plush pile, the Roomba will bump into it and move on somewhere else while it keeps cleaning. The fix to this is to first lay the Roomba in the center of the rug, turn it on and it systematically starts sucking up the dirt working in tandem with the circular brushes from that point in a tight swirling, spiral fashion catching the majority of the rug. Since my throw rugs are low profile, the Roomba just goes right over the edges and traverses back and forth at will.

If heavy plush throw rugs were an issue, that means I’d have to get off my tush, force myself to use the hand remote to guide it to the perimeters at will. With a little practice mixed with entertainment, your eye, tactile finger dexterity skills naturally improve, useful for other endeavors, as well, such as flipping your turn signals, video games or whatever your needs …………………….? Life style, hot weather or just plain lazy, it literally floors an option (no pun intended) or better yet, budget pending, just hire a good housekeeper who won’t give you flack about cleaning under beds, sofa’s and crawl spaces regularly. Well, it’s time to read the paper for a bit, then perhaps take a short nap, wake up, and since it's hot today, I'll jump in the pool and shower before I go the ball game tonight. Retirements tuff ………………………

Kip

Jul 20, 2005, 1:08 PM

Post #23 of 38 (2439 views)

Shortcut

Ah ha! That makes it a gadget! Finally a way to get my husband interested in clean floors!!! I Love it!!!
kip

Oscar2

Jul 21, 2005, 7:20 AM

Post #24 of 38 (2372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] can I get the Roomba at CostCo in GDL?

Whenever I see on my rugs that which shouldn’t be there, be it dust, smashed small leave particles or whatever, I drop the little sucker down, press the ON button and away it goes. Yes, sucks up very well and has horizontal rotary brush that cleans rugs, floors or whatever and sucked up into a small chamber that is easily emptied over a waste basket. It also has a very handy double pronged rotary brush that sticks out beyond the Roomba base and rotates horizontally scooping dirt or whatever from along edges or corners into its suction filter. You can see all the dirt and dust it picks up which is laden on the filter when you pull the drawer out. You can just knock it against the trash can to clean off the layer of dirt/dust accumulated on it or in my case, I have an air compressor in my garage where I just handily blow it off, but than again that’s just me. A small brush would work just as well.

I enjoy clean floors and rugs because as you know, if you like walking around your home in bare feet, the base of your feet have natural body oil on them and if you have dust or some sort of grime on your light colored rugs, the combination of oil under foot and the dust on your rugs become stains or smudges. I’ve found that I can put the Roomba down on the same rug everyday other day and it has sucked up a fine layer of dust impregnated on its filter when cleaned. Yes, I agree, dust will prevail. But easily dropping this little sucker down on it and just walking away more often than not is easy and great preventive medicine.

Howard Botz

Jul 21, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #25 of 38 (2302 views)

Shortcut

OK, I think I am sold. No-one has said how much this little monsters costs in the U.S.
Everyone here in Mexico keep your eyes open and report back if you see them for sale.

Howard
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4