Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

abbottsk

Jul 18, 2005, 8:14 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1423 views)

Shortcut

Hotels

Can't Post | Private Reply
Would like to know if anyone has stayed at the La Nueva Posada in Ajijic and how it was? Also has anyone stayed at El Tapatio Hotel in Guadalajara? Any comments on either hotels. We will be traveling in November and would like to see some sites-any suggestions. What do you think about renting a car? We do not speak Spanish so we may be limited on public transportation.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

maw7815

Jul 18, 2005, 2:40 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abbottsk] Hotels

We stayed at El Tapitio in Guad the end of March- we had a late flight- got in around 10:30pm and after renting a car and finding the hotel- we made it to the room around 12:30 pm. I had no idea how large the whole complex is. The picture on the website looked like a motel along the side of the main road. El Tapaitio could be a small city- it is walled with cobblestone roads all around and has condo's and the hotel is at the top of the hill- we asked the guards where to go at the entrance and they pointed up the road- we drove all around trying to find the hotel- we saw some other security people and they just pointed further up-had no idea the size of this place- we finally got to the top and still couldn't find the hotel entrance- drove around some more and finally found it. We didn't get into our room until 1:00am! We went out to the balcony and were amazed at the view-it was fantastic! We had a huge room- very nice accomodations- the place is a real resort. We had a great breakfast the next day and got to see the whole complex during the day- it was amazing. We booked our room through Orbitz and got a rate of $60 for a king size room.
As far as renting a car be prepared to pay a lot- we got a $29 per day rate and the insurance was $30/day. We always reserve the smallest car available if we are coming in late because they are always sold out by the time we get there and they will upgrade you for no extra charge.
Hope this helps you-
Mary Ann Waite

Georgia

Jul 19, 2005, 8:11 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1306 views)

Shortcut

Haven't stayed at the Tapatio, which I understand is huge. We have stayed at and really enjoyed a b&b which is 15 - 20 minutes from the airport: Quinta Don Jose in Tlaquepaque. Great breakfast. Very homey. All the comforts. Their website is www.quintadonjose.com.

dtracy8671

Jul 19, 2005, 10:38 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1289 views)

Shortcut

We stayed at the La Nueva Posada last year and found it to be wonderful! The people are very helpful and we had a balcony room, which was terrific to sit out on and just enjoy the area. Only one problem, and think this goes for the majority of hotels in Mexico, is the beds are like sleeping on a boards! We always ate in garden area outside, and it was quite a way to start the day. I could just sit there for hours and enjoy.

We will be going to Ajijic in November, also, and this year we will be staying at Mis Amores right off the Plaza. We wanted to be right in the thick of things of this year, and Mis Amores has coffee makers, refrigerators, etc. in their rooms. La Nueva Posada does not, and we tend to like to snack at night.

If you would like any further information, please PM me and I will be glad to help all I can.

P.S. I would hire a driver to take you around to see the sites. We did that and worked extremely well for us. We also, hopped on the bus from Ajijic to Chapala and got the ride of the trip. He went through every town, up and down hills, and we had a blast! No Spanish was necessary...we pointed, and laughed!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4