Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

EEK

Jul 17, 2005, 11:13 AM

Post #1 of 25 (3434 views)

Shortcut

Ankles and cobblestones

| Private Reply
     A past thread addressed an Oregon research paper that stated cobblestones were good for the ankles, balance, and lowering blood pressure. Well, if that is true, I've got one better.
We came here without our car and living in Upper Ajijic we walk a lot on cobblestones. I am getting three plus times the exercise I got in the states. The results are a loss of nine pounds, better health, stronger ankles, and a lower blood pressure. I reduced my blood pressure medicine by half. I think the cobblestones have been good, but my ankles get a much better workout in the mountains.
I hike the mountains at least once a week. Going up exercises the ankles for there are many steps and climbs. But, the best exercise in hiking down. Here one must carefully watch where they step to prevent slipping. I usually aim for solid rock or a large round stone. I notice my ankles do an array of things as I use the ball of my foot, heel, or a fancy dancy side step to move downhill.
If coblestones are good for the ankles, hiking downhill is better. But you do this at your owm risk. Watch your step, go slow, and remember that I slip or fall down to my butt at least once each trip. It's good exercise, but be cautious. Just me, eek!

cristalhombre

Jul 17, 2005, 1:47 PM

Post #2 of 25 (3400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EEK] Ankles and cobblestones

| Private Reply
AMEN HERMANO EKK.........

You have given me the opportunity to 'rant'.......

I know all of us......."gringos that walk rather than sticking our fat ass behind a wheel of an auto", are in the minority around Lakeside. Too bad for the general health of the gringo population and auto clogged streets in Ajijic.

That's what I love about cultures other than my own, they WALK to the store, market, movies etc....... Wake up Lakeside gringos! Transend away from your auto dependency. Only 3% of Mexicans own a car and they get by just dandy.

I contend that there is NO better way to start a new day in Ajijic, than a trek up to the chapel each morning!

You Lipitor poppin amigos might just try it!! (I had heard once, that one Liptor tablet is like $4 usd)

I find it both ironic and interesting that much of the dialogue of this website is focused on generalized questions about "what does it cost?". Improving ones health, simply by walking has tremendous benefits and can keep those medical bills and prescription drug costs lowered. Not to mention the added vitality one feels after a good stroll.

Congratulations on the improved health, Everett!!!

Your neighbor and amigo Brad

...........who will no doubt get tomatoed, for this in your face "white trash" post.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

EEK

Jul 17, 2005, 2:39 PM

Post #3 of 25 (3380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Ankles and cobblestones

| Private Reply
Brad, I wish I could say I was doing it soley for the health reason, but I'm also cheap. My lipitor in the states with insurance cost $2.85 per pill. Down here it cost $1.52 and I have reduced my dosage to half with the exercise (therefore $0.76). Right now that is a $734 savings on Lipitor a year. Lipitor is for chloresterol and I am controlling it at 160 - mid range. If this works for a while longer I will drop Lipitor for Nogal catcus deriveratives at a cost of $0.22 per day. I also take for blood pressure lisinophril and atenolol. These two drugs are slightly higher than in the states, but not too expensive. I keep my blood pressure 120-130/75-80. So you see with all this money saved I can eat out more and drink more beer. Go figure. Hidden on my adjenda, way back deep, is lose 25 pounds. Well, to that I now say "manana". eek!

cristalhombre

Jul 17, 2005, 3:10 PM

Post #4 of 25 (3368 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
That's a great goal Everett (25 pounds) and a great reply. Hope the viewers are REALLY reading the huge savings you have created. (one months rent)

So the next time I read a post on this forum.....about how expensive it is, or inflation is affecting life at Lakeside...... I'm going to suggest that they seek out EKK's....... simple methods of successful health and financial lifestyles in Mexico.

Hell Everett............. you're a writer! Here's an idea. Publish a booklet and give seminars to your very myopic amigos in the village. Jeeeeez, you could sign up at least a dozen each week at $50 bucks a crack. There's another thousand bucks a month in your pocket, you gotta love that idea (think of the cervezas in the fridge... NOW!)

Here is a good title for Chapter One of your book: "Right foot forward, now left....OK you got it"!

Keep on trucking Everett!

viajita

Jul 17, 2005, 5:35 PM

Post #5 of 25 (3328 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Do you mean nopales cactus? Are you talking about the ones you buy at the market or are you taking capsules. More information, please. Very interesting.

Georgia

Jul 17, 2005, 5:39 PM

Post #6 of 25 (3327 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, I'm jealous. I've lost 80 pounds, my bp stayed the same (not bad, but could be better) and my cholesterol went up. Go figure.

Gringal

Jul 17, 2005, 7:14 PM

Post #7 of 25 (3304 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viajita] Ankles and cobblestones

| Private Reply
For what it's worth: Went to the local internist and noted the "Lipitor" stamp on the card holder on his desk. I assumed this meant he'd be pushing it for my spouse's cholesterol control. Asked him about it, and he said that the nopale cactus was very effective for the same purposes. You could eat it, or take it in pill or capsule form. He does the latter, which at the local nutrition center costs about $4.00 US for 100 capsules. Daily oatmeal helps, too.
You can eat out often on the difference between that and the cost of Lipitor.

EEK

Jul 17, 2005, 9:17 PM

Post #8 of 25 (3279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Ankles and cobblestones

| Private Reply
Gringal, my doctor here in Ajijic said a simular remark. However, I am going to wait a month or so and see if my chloresterol stays low before I switch. BTW, a chloresterol test in the local clinic runs $5. Remember I have cut my lipitor in half. The capsule and the cooked catcus does the same thing -- destroys chloresterol which you eat with your foods. If it is the natural chloresterol your body produces that keeps you with a high reading, then the catcus or pill may not be effective. Now, as to the two blood pressure medicines, he recommends that I cut one in half for three months, and if my BP stays low, cut the other in half for three months and continue this way instead of rushing it. Hey, I'm no doctror on this subject -- see your doctor and follow his advice. My real goal is to get into good health without taking a daily ritual of handfulls of pills. Some of those pills make the beer in my cereal go sour. Just me, eek.

Gringal

Jul 18, 2005, 8:06 AM

Post #9 of 25 (3220 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You don't want the beer on your cereal ruined! Some cases of high cholesterol respond to the simple things like nopal; some don't. Our son-in-law, who looks like a poster for health and does all the right things in his diet, has a genetic makeup that includes very high cholesterol; so the drugs are a lifesaver for him. My advice is to do just what you are doing: proceed with caution; keep up the testing and hope for a good outcome. Congratulations for making the big effort and good luck !

1ajijic

Jul 18, 2005, 12:07 PM

Post #10 of 25 (3181 views)

Shortcut

shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
I am a fellow walker who lives here in the village. On village walks I am usually trailed by small cairn terrier named Mordida. I wear sneakers because I need to use a small orthotic insert and it slips out of even the Teva type sandals. While in the U.S. at an outlet mall I found a pair of the velcro type sandals called Receptor, made by Ecco. These are very secure going all the way around your ankle with the velcro strap and.. ta da the heel strap has a small connector going down to the sole. So the insert stays put, and in the hot months I can walk the "gobblestones" in a cooler sandal. If you can find them do try them; for here a very safe, very comfortable walking sandal.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Gringal

Jul 18, 2005, 12:31 PM

Post #11 of 25 (3170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
Hi - I'm in SMA where we have world-class "gobblestones" too. Since I arrived with a serious foot problem for which inserts were recommended. (Actually, surgery was recommended, but I ignored that one, thank hevvins.) I was delighted to discover that there was a store selling orthopedically recommended shoes, especially designed to survive the gobblestones. It's called San Miguel Shoes, run by a couple who designed the shoes and started the store some time ago. Their specialty is a number called the "San Miguel Cocktail Combat Shoe". These shoes are kind of like wearing a built in ace bandage around your ankle. There is enough "lift" to the heel; and the heels come in all heights. There are those who don't like the way they look, but most of the women in town like them enough to own several pair, including me. My feet are happy and my condition has improved greatly in the past year. What can I say except to trip on over here sometime and shop for shoes. It's worth the journey and the weather is great right now.
I love that dog's name!

patricio_lintz

Jul 18, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #12 of 25 (3129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
Nothing wrong with Birkenstock sandals, if you get the ones with heel straps. I have two pair. I will pick up a new one next time I am back in the States.

For hiking shoes, I have a nice pair of Red Wing hikers. The Red Wing stores, also in the USA, are a great places to shop if you have foot problems.

viajita

Jul 18, 2005, 6:03 PM

Post #13 of 25 (3115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
I would like to suggest you buy a truckload and come to Ajijic. You would sell out in no time! I wonder if you can order by mail?

sfmacaws

Jul 18, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #14 of 25 (3099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viajita] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
I'll have to speak up for my newest love affair with a pair of shoes. Crocs are the most comfortable shoes I've ever put on. Your feet don't slip in them, they have a good grip, the support is fantastic!@! I've now got 3 pair and have tossed all my other shoes. I haven't had anything else on since I tried on my first pair. They can be hard to find, apparently they don't have the best distribution system. I also saw some knock offs in Yuma but hated the pink color so I haven't tried them. I was first turned on to them by a sailboat cruiser in Mexico who raved about them as deck shoes. Now I see them on lots of people who have to stand all day for work. My friend here who is a nurse says they are a big thing with nurses. They buy the closed toe version. I have 2 pair of the vented model in a couple colors and one pair of the light weight sandals. Love em! Love em! Love em!

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Gringal

Jul 18, 2005, 7:58 PM

Post #15 of 25 (3086 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Good news, amigas! I just put "San Miguel Shoes" in the Yahoo search and came up with a bunch of links. May be possible to buy on the web. At the store, the shoes are under 30$ US. Since the only "fitted" part is the sole, after that it's a matter of color and style. Whew. Now I don't have to bring over a truckload of shoes.
Hope the links help.

esperanza

Jul 18, 2005, 8:32 PM

Post #16 of 25 (3080 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
These famous San Miguel shoes are readily available in Ajijic. Half the women in town wear them constantly. Ask at El Durazno, on 16 de septiembre, or at Mi México on the corner of Morelos and 16 de septiembre. They may not sell the shoes, but they'll know where you can buy them.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

maw7815

Jul 19, 2005, 7:14 AM

Post #17 of 25 (3040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
Thank you so much for the info on Crocs! I never heard of them before but I see from their website a lot of places in Houston that sell them- I am going today to buy a pair- I imagine the hardest thing to do is pick a color! I have bad feet- had a foot operation for heal spurs but my feet never got better- still in pain if I stand too long- I was glad to read all the testimonials of people who had bad feet and these shoes helped their problem!
Mary Ann Waite

Elaine

Jul 19, 2005, 8:10 AM

Post #18 of 25 (3016 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I looked on the website for Crocs but noticed they don't list any widths. What happens if you have a narrow or wide foot?

When one door closes, another opens. Some people are so busy looking at the door that has closed, they don't see the door that has opened. Keep looking for those open doors.

sandykayak

Jul 19, 2005, 8:33 AM

Post #19 of 25 (3009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elaine] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
I have a pair of Crocs for several months...great for kayaking. The neat part is that the back "strap" swings over to become a decorative collar for the front so you can use them as "mules" when in camp.

Not sure about widths (I have flat feet and had to wear socks for a long time cos the "button" caused a blister) but I was told (and they were right) to buy on the smaller size cos they stretch.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

juditha16

Jul 19, 2005, 10:27 AM

Post #20 of 25 (2993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maw7815] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
The Crocs website states they run about a half size larger and a little wider than other shoes. Two styles can be purchased online at Zappos.com (free shipping, I think). I love my Ecco Receptors, but I think I need a pair of Crocs, too! Thanks, Jonna.
Judith

sfmacaws

Jul 19, 2005, 7:06 PM

Post #21 of 25 (2949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juditha16] shoe reccommendation for cobblestones

| Private Reply
Croc is really emphatic that they should not fit snuggly. I was dubious when I bought the first pair but let the saleswoman convince me to get them roomy. I was afraid I would get that foot scrunch thing where you are always trying to keep your feet situated right in the shoe. It didn't happen, my feet stay perfectly centered in the shoe. Like Sandy said, I almost always have the strap up across the top of the shoe thus wearing it like a clog. My foot doesn't move around. I just got a pair of the sandals and I do use the back strap on them, not to keep the shoe on but because the front of the sandal is smaller it looks stupid to have the strap sitting up there.

Glad you guys enjoyed hearing about them. It dawned on me that I should say that I have no financial interest in the company. It's a Canadian company and as I said before, they have had problems with distribution. Hopefully they are getting that solved.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

maw7815

Jul 19, 2005, 7:33 PM

Post #22 of 25 (2941 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Jonna- thank you so much for the info on Crocs- I went to a store listed on their website that carries them over my lunch hour today- I am now the proud owner of their last red pair. I wear a 7 1/2 and bought the size 8 and they are wonderful- I am going on a European cruise next month and was worried about all the walking I would have to do- I have very bad feet and my foot operation for heal spurs was not successful so I do still have a lot of foot pain. I was glad to read all their testamonials from people whose feet actually improved from wearing them. Now if only I can keep them away from my dog who sees my shoes as chew bones!
Mary Ann Waite

cristalhombre

Jul 19, 2005, 9:15 PM

Post #23 of 25 (2921 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Amigos.......

Here is what you can expect when you write and encouraging and "to the point" - constructive message on M/C....... This PM is from a nameless source. Actually I think Karl Rove knows who she is........

I'm not sure I do.

Dear White Trash--

Consider this a huge, rotten tomato thrown your way.
Trek up to the chapel each morning, my fat ass (behind the wheel of an auto, of course!)
If OZ meant for us to walk he would not have invented cars, blisters, bad knees, hills and drive-thru.
And since when do you sign with all this "Go in peace . . . truth. . . thanks . . . respect . . . blah, blah, blah"? And just exactly what sacred manner do you walk in when your speeding up the hill not even stopping to genuflect, cross yourself or say a single Hail Mary at each station of the cross?

Holy s---, give me a freakin' damn break, Mr My Pompous Ass is Tighter than Yours!!

There is a lot to be said for lying by the pool, book in one hand, Cuba Libre in the other. I, for example, say 'What a life!!" And, believe me, having a little padding on ones colita makes sitting on those crappy pool chairs a hell of a lot more comfortable!

You are way beyond QWAZY! And you have no shame revealing your own special brand of loco-ness on MexConnect. Welcome to "Bubba's Band of Blathering Bobos."

Georgia

Jul 20, 2005, 6:16 AM

Post #24 of 25 (2890 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Some people just have bad days. Ignore them.

dtracy8671

Jul 20, 2005, 12:54 PM

Post #25 of 25 (2850 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Obviously nothing better to do......

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4