Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

kirkswig

Jul 10, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #1 of 13 (6947 views)

Shortcut

Conveniences of Living in Mazatlan

Can't Post | Private Reply
Whoa... Pacifico delivers?!?

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jul 11, 2005, 9:54 AM)

Esteban

Jul 10, 2005, 5:04 AM

Post #2 of 13 (6944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Bugs n Stuff

Both Pacifico and Tecate deliver to your doorstep. It's better to have a case of empties ready so you don't have to deal with deposit paperwork. Sometimes in the summer, they'll bring big blocks of ice and will chip it off into your cooler so your beer will be "bien helada". Unless your place is easy to find, the first delivery may take a little extra time. After that, the guys will know where to go.

Marlene / Moderator

Jul 10, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #3 of 13 (6929 views)

Shortcut

Just one of our many little secrets to staying cool in the summer. You can actually get put on a weekly delivery schedule so that you don't have to phone each time. You just need to be around at the general estimated arrival time on the specific day, and be finished your beer so as to turn in the bottles for full ones... LOL And the price is right.

You really don't have to go far from home in the heat to survive here. Walmart and Gigante were both doing grocery deliveries last time I checked, so that solves the food issue. The Farmacias deliver to your door and then there is also all the take-out places and great eateries such as El Bigotes, el Pollo Loco and Tacos Martin that deliver. And they wonder how we survive here in the summer. Ha!

Esteban

Jul 10, 2005, 8:54 AM

Post #4 of 13 (6926 views)

Shortcut

Then remember that when you do get a delivery from a guy on a motorcycle (not beer), if you so desire, they will go to the mini super for you to get that one thing you forgot be it, cigaros or a quart of beer or a coke or anything else you need. You just have to tip them accordingly.

ms mac

Jul 10, 2005, 9:12 AM

Post #5 of 13 (6921 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Bugs n Stuff

I didn't know about all this, guys. Thanks for the heads up.
ms mac

kirkswig

Jul 11, 2005, 1:18 AM

Post #6 of 13 (6893 views)

Shortcut

Yeah, ditto what Ms. Mac said, thanks for the good info both of yous.

But you know what? I just remembered, in the building I'm in it's tough getting deliveries. There's just this one common door for all twenty-or-so apartments, and there is a bell, but I'd never hear it from the apartment, and I'm loathe to make the landlord deal with each and every delivery I get.

Which is really too bad, because yes, the full wrath of summer isn't quite here yet, but you can tell it's on the doorstep. Lugging all this stuff up the equivalent of -- what is it, ten stories? -- may be good exercise, but it can be TOUGH.

Esteban

Jul 11, 2005, 5:37 AM

Post #7 of 13 (6889 views)

Shortcut

You have to think outside the box in Mexico. Where there is a will, there is a way.

You could install a wireless door bell or you could be vigilant and wait out front, the normal twenty minutes it takes....if you have the time? You could ask the beer guys or whomever is delivering whatever, to honk when the goods are ready. They will carry it up to any floor for a small tip. You could also lower a big bucket on a rope if you didn't want to carry it up the stairs.

Marlene / Moderator

Jul 11, 2005, 9:47 AM

Post #8 of 13 (6875 views)

Shortcut

Talk to Don who lives above Jose. He gets the Tecate truck weekly and is on the route. He can give you some pointers for receiving in the apartment complex since he has the "eagles nest" and sees all. Santana prefers the Pacifico Modelo product but in a pinch when Don's Tecate truck arrived and it was a very hot (no cervesa in the house) day, he used to seize the moment and buy a case of XX.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jul 11, 2005, 9:50 AM)

Esteban

Jul 11, 2005, 10:03 AM

Post #9 of 13 (6866 views)

Shortcut

I don't know your taste in beer but personally, for a change, I also like to buy a case of Indio, once in a while. It reminds me of some tasty micro lagers from up north. It definitely has a little stronger taste than Pacifico.

kirkswig

Jul 11, 2005, 4:34 PM

Post #10 of 13 (6849 views)

Shortcut

You're both right. I'm not giving this problem the attention it is due.

When I'm back in beer drinking mode (soon I'm sure) I'll talk to Don.

Also esteban's idea of a bucket is intriguing, since my apartment is adjacent to/overhangs the street in the back... I could possibly bypass the door to the complex altogether AND save everybody from having to deal with the stairs.

And as for my beer tastes, I'm with Santana in that I prefer Modelo to Tecate, but that said I've yet to find a Mexican beer I don't like. Modelo, Pacifico, Tecate, Corona and Negro Modelo are all good, and certainly better than beer NOB (well, I like Molson too.)

I haven't yet tried Indio, will give that a go.

Thanks again for the great replies.

Esteban

Jul 11, 2005, 6:05 PM

Post #11 of 13 (6836 views)

Shortcut

One beer I haven't tried is the one from the little private brewery at Valentinos.

Another one that I have tried is "Cachonda" beer. If you are on a strict budget, it sells for 28 pesos a six pack. It's better than no beer.

One thing I can tell you is that once your beer guy knows exactly where you live (his memory will be better with a token of your appreciation) he'll run that beer right up to your door. So it would be worth the effort to wait for him and walk him up to your doorstep. Find out the beer delivery guy's name. Call him by his first name. A friendly manner always seems to help.

(This post was edited by Esteban on Jul 11, 2005, 6:27 PM)

Marlene / Moderator

Jul 11, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #12 of 13 (6829 views)

Shortcut

Cachonda? Where does it locate itself for retail sale? We have found the Dutch or is it German beer in Gigante for 20 pesos sometimes, usual price 27 pesos for 6, and it reminds me of a Canadian beer.. Santana found it acceptable. Are we the only the people in Mexico that get mystery beers? Moosehead is something that appears here in Soriana for a bargain price. It is from Canada and is okay for a "beach" beer.

P.S. don't get the wrong impression of us Mazatlecans.....we get into "keeping cool" mode and forget ourselves. Beer chatter is only one aspect of our interests!

Esteban

Jul 11, 2005, 8:45 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6821 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Bugs n Stuff

I see Cachonda and another one that tastes about the same in Ley's (Calle Ejercito Mexicano). I think I've seen the same or similar at Mega.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4