Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

TigerTonio

Jul 6, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1371 views)

Shortcut

Why Michoacan, Why Morelia?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Marta, just curious here -- why settle in Michoacan? Had you been there before? Know people there? How do you compare Michoacan to other areas of Mexico? And what does your 20-year old daughter think you moving there?

I find your story of particular interest because I'm also a native Northern Californian and love Michoacan.

Best, Tony

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jul 6, 2005, 2:14 PM)

Marta R

Jul 6, 2005, 1:01 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TonyAnaya] interim report

Good question, Tony, and the answers are still evolving. Also, it should be noted that we are leaving ourselves plenty of wiggle-room: if Michoacán doesn't suit, we can always try elsewhere.

So far, I can tell you that I love what I know about the climate. I'm a long-term Bay Area kid, and hot weather melts me. On the other hand, Chris loves hot weather and we both like beaches. Morelia & environs are close enough to the beach to keep Chris happy, and cool enough to keep me happy. My mother is a Yucatecan but the climate keeps me away from jungles.

I was born in DF but have few memories of it: we left when I was two, and although we regularly came down to visit relatives, what I mostly remember is being stuffed in the back seat of a cab with Tia Gorda on one side and Tia Mas Gorda on the other. What I've heard about DF recently makes me very much wish not to go there, but Morelia is close enough so that we can get to the city if we need to.

Michoacán is where they keep the butterflies. I haven't seen much of it, just the area around Morelia, but I found great natural beauty there, and believe there's even more in farther parts of the state.

Morelia and Pátzcuaro are old cities, at least by Northern California reckoning. I like that a lot. I like putting my feet in the hollows of stone steps, and thinking about the thousands of other feet, over the centuries, that have helped create those hollows.

There is only a small ex-pat community there, I'm told, which is a good thing for us. We don't want to end up in a piece of the US stuck in somebody else's country. That is, in fact, one of the few drawbacks I have seen to Corazon de Durazno, the fact that it's a small, to-be-gated community populated mostly by Anglos. But Pátzcuaro is only a few minutes away, and as I said earlier, we can always pack up and move on if we feel like it.

Granted that Michoacán is Cristero country, I still felt that Morelia was a pretty tolerant place. That's important to me. I am a cheerful athiest, we have friends and relatives who are gay, our circle of friends includes Asians, blacks, latinos, gringos... I don't want to live in a place where I or my family or my friends would be made to feel ill at ease. I wouldn't want to test this in the smaller pueblos, in Michoacán or elsewhere, but I felt safer in Morelia. I hope I continue to do so.

There's little industry in Morelia, which is probably bad for the local economy but does mean that the air is a bit clearer than in DF or Guadalajara, and that's important to me, too. There are universities and art museums. I like the pace of life. I could probably find these qualities elsewhere, but I found them in Morelia and have not used them up yet.

The only other area of Mexico I know at all well, is Baja. Much as I love deserts (despite my dislike of heat) I would have to be paid buckets of money to live in the Baja -- and would probably need those buckets of money to make ends meet there.

So let me turn the question around, Tony. What draws you to Michoacán and Morelia?

Marta

gpk

Jul 6, 2005, 3:12 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisnmarta] interim report

Michoacan is definitely the most beautiful state in the central part of Mexico, and Morelia has about the best weather. Patzcuaro has winters that last a little too long, for me. I hope you love it--your new house looks very terrific. Is C de D really going to be full of expats? I hope you like gardening--900-1400 square meters takes a lot of time to take care of!

Marta R

Jul 6, 2005, 3:59 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1336 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] interim report

In Reply To
I hope you like gardening--900-1400 square meters takes a lot of time to take care of!

Don't I know it! Luckily I love gardening and, being a conscientious Northern Californian, I am way into native and drought-tolerant plants. And roses. And orchids. And fuchsias. I can hardly wait to start.

As for ex-pats in CdeD, that's my impression, that the place will be crawling with them. Estadounidenses, for the most part, except for one rumored Czech couple who are building a humongous house and are reputed to own a satellite. Quien sabe? Self-invention is a great pastime, and maybe they do indeed own some small piece of electronics whizzing in close-Earth orbit.

Marta

TigerTonio

Jul 15, 2005, 12:54 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1234 views)

Shortcut

Unfortunately, I'm in no position to make a permanent move to Mexico. Both my partner and myself are too young to retire and we both would be clueless as to what to do for employment in Morelia. There is a slight possibility of transferring to D.F. but not sure if that's something we'd really want to do. We DO intend to purchase a vacation home either in Morelia or in the surrounding area sometime in the near future.

There are several areas in Mexico where we'd consider a home purchase but Michoacan has cast that magical feeling cast upon us. I love the abundance of art. The food is fabulous. If Diana Kennedy can vouch for the food and the land, then there must be something special there.

Morelia appeals to me on almost every level. It's a big city that doesn't feel big. It's a big city with its share of problems, do doubt, but it seems to manage them well. The centro's streets aren't overrun with street vendors. Musical and theatrical arts are on a world class level. I don't care for the graffiti -- but what big city doesn't have graffiti these days? There are low-end eateries when I want a quick bite and there are upscale restaurants for when I feel like taking guests to a formal dinner. And as we previously discussed, a large number of its residents are friendly and educated.

Marta, I'm like you when it comes to weather (well, we both do come from the same area). Hot weather melts me and sub-zero temps just ain't my thang. The weather in Morelia as well as Patzcuaro would suit me fine. I can deal with a few months of extreme hot. Chicago is currently experiencing the most 90 degree temps in a summer in sixteen years. Add the lovely high humidity and you've got one steamy summer.

Morelia is also appealing from a geographical standpoint. It's close enough for jaunts to Mexico City, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, etc. Then there's the abundance of produce, meat, fish and most important of all, an abundance of WATER. And hills! I love hills. Living in Chicago for the past three years has made me long for anything but flatlands.

That's it. I'll be there in six days and hope to learn more.

I'd love for some of the others to chime in -- Jennifer, GPK, Palomares and others living in the region. Why Michoacan?

Best, Tony

(This post was edited by TonyAnaya on Jul 15, 2005, 12:58 PM)

Marta R

Jul 15, 2005, 2:01 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1224 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TonyAnaya] interim report

That's it. I'll be there in six days and hope to learn more.

Tony, you'll be at Baden-Powell, yes? If you see them, could you say "hola" to Gabriel, Luz, David, Eduardo, and Maria Elena for us, that is, for Chris and for me? I miss them all.

I would dare you to have a Drowned Scorpion, or the scorpion pasta, at Onix, but I worry that you might take me up on it.

I am eagerly awaiting word on what you find and what you and your partner decide about vacation homes.

Marta

TigerTonio

Jul 19, 2005, 5:08 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1173 views)

Shortcut

Waitaminit. You're not serious -- dishes made with scorpions? I'm already freaked out after reading the discussions in the Mazatlan thread. Surely, this will make Morelia more alluring for me. Eek.

Two more days...Morelia, here I come!!!!

Marta, I will most surely say 'hello' to the gang at Baden-Powell for you.

Best, Tony

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4