Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mitchp41

Jul 3, 2005, 9:18 AM

Post #1 of 14 (1665 views)

Shortcut

hotels,motels

Can't Post | Private Reply
I need some imformation,please,on hotels motels in the pharr,or mcallen area,and also in the matehuala area,such as cost safety and where they are.Iwill be comming in through the pharr-reynosa border crossing.Thank you very much,Mitch

julian3345

Jul 3, 2005, 3:15 PM

Post #2 of 14 (1630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mitchp41] hotels,motels

Can't give information from personal experience, but expedia.com has a lot of listings with pictures, etc for McAllen TX. Joan

Brian

Jul 3, 2005, 3:36 PM

Post #3 of 14 (1627 views)

Shortcut

We regularly stay at the Comfort Inn in Pharr. About $60

In Matehuala it's the Motel Las Palmas. About $75 dollars two months ago. Overpriced but will meet your concern about safety.

Getting your car permit can be streamlined by applying in advance at selected Mexican Consulates in the US or by initiating the process online at the Banjercito webpage:

http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/tramiteitv_ing.jsp

saludos

Brian

mitchp41

Jul 4, 2005, 6:00 AM

Post #4 of 14 (1592 views)

Shortcut

i went to the site brian,was great,easy to use and obtained my paperwork for the car,again i thank youboth for the info,have a great 4th of july,Mitch

sfmacaws

Jul 4, 2005, 3:25 PM

Post #5 of 14 (1547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] hotels,motels

Brian,

How much time does it save by applying for the vehicle permit online? It's a great site, I read it but it does seem that you would still have to present your title/car papers, pay at the Banjercito line, and then return for your final papers. I did see where they will send you a key by email and it says there is a special window to go to if you have this key. Have you done this? I don't recall seeing one of these windows but then, I didn't know to look for them either. It would certainly seem to be worth it at a crowded crossing if the special window was separate and presumably had a shorter line. If you've done it this way I'd love to know your experience with it and which crossing you used.

Jonna - Mrida, Yucatn

Brian

Jul 4, 2005, 4:06 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] hotels,motels

Hi

Yes, I have first-hand experience using the online preregistration. About 3 years ago, my wife and I moved to SMA from Tijuana where there is no requirement to have a car permit. We already had valid FM-3 visas. We got our code online and went to the main government building (not Colombia Bridge) in Nuevo Laredo. We were careful to bring the required number of copies of our documentation with us. My recollection is that there were at least four different lines/windows that applicants had to traverse and all of them were long because it was mid-day. We were directed to the last window (Banjercito) where the records were checked, we paid the fees and the permit was issued right there. Despite it being a busy day, the procedure took about 5 minutes.

If a person who pre-registers online does not already have an immigration document, he/she will have to get that done before the permit is issued. Nevertheless, they too will have saved considerable time if there are a lot of people there.

It is an assumption on my part based on your previous postings that you may be coming down via the Palm Springs area. If that is the case, you might want to consider stopping in person at the Phoenix Mexican Consulate where the visa and auto permit can be done at the same time. I have no idea, however, how long that might take you. Good luck.

Brian

sfmacaws

Jul 4, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #7 of 14 (1531 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Brian, that is good info. I think I will try the online registration this year to see how it goes. We will be going to the border from Albuquerque this year, we are going to attend the balloon festival again. I plan though to head west and cross at Nogales as we are bringing some friends along who have never been to Mexico and want to see the west coast.

I'll update the forum when I do it.

Jonna - Mrida, Yucatn

mitchp41

Jul 5, 2005, 4:39 AM

Post #8 of 14 (1504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] hotels,motels

THE KEY IS A DOUBLE HOLLIGRAM PRINTED ON THE PAPER + A SERIS OF NUMBERS,MITCH

bournemouth

Jul 5, 2005, 6:32 AM

Post #9 of 14 (1496 views)

Shortcut

We used the on line form just over a week ago, for the first time. When I eventually arrived at the window at the module in Nogales, we were on our way in less than 10 minutes. I asked the official if it was worth pre-doing the form and he said "absolutely" - or words to that effect. All he had to do was check the information on our documents against the information already in the computer and collect the copies we had for him, including a copy of the receipt for the return of our last car permit. We'll certainly use the system again.

sandykayak

Jul 7, 2005, 1:39 PM

Post #10 of 14 (1420 views)

Shortcut

Mitch, I stayed at the Hotel Sol y Luna last December. Single was about $22. It's only a few blocks away from the highway.

Family owned. Do a search of the archives cos I know I posted it in response to a query re hotels in Matehuala that accept pets.

Don't know where my notebook is with the details. Aother subscriber PMd me and thanked me - they thought it was fine.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

sandykayak

Jul 7, 2005, 1:41 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] hotels,motels

Found the info:

HOTEL SOL Y LUNA
Blvd. Heroes Potosinos # 1612
Matehuala, San Luis Potosi
Mexico

Tel: (488) 882-6549

Owner Mria Elenza Yrizar Arias maryelyrizar@hotmail.com
Son Chowiry Yrizar biablo82@hotmail.com

As I was driving north (on the cuota) and the road veers to the right to continue on the cuota, I veered left into Matehuala. The hotel is a white, 3 story building on the left about 4 or 5 minutes along. I had to drive a bit further til the next place I could do a U-turn and got into the far right so as to be alongside the hotel entrance.

It is a very informal and reasonably priced property, with a huge back “yard” where cars are parked and tents as well as RVs can park. (They have night-time security). Tenters can use the toilet inside the building. When I asked about showers for tenters she said, “Oh, I’ll let them use the shower from one of the rooms.”

Dogs are more than welcome. Their spaniel Chula wanders around and there was no problem with mine being off leash.

This was on Dec. 22, 2004.

Rates: Individual 200 pesos
Matrimonial 220 pesos (presumably one double bed)
Doble 250 pesos (presumably two beds, poss. twin)
Suite 340 pesos

Tents 100 pesos
RVs 200 pesos (must be self-contained – no hookups)

The owner is a practicing attorney. This is a family hotel and they live on the property. Her three young adult “kids” live there when not at University. Chowiry is a backpacker and had just returned from a backpacking trip. The kids speak English.

The hotel has been built slowly (as funds permitted) and open since October 2002. There are plans to build a dorm (hostel style) and that is certainly the ambiance – i.e. people are encouraged to socialize, if they so desire.

The lounge has comfortable couches, Direct TV, and a guitar. They don’t have dining service, but there are tables and chairs and you could comfortably ask to use the kitchen. (They offered to share their chicken wings dinner with me).

This was in December 2004.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

mitchp41

Jul 8, 2005, 3:20 AM

Post #12 of 14 (1383 views)

Shortcut

I would like to thank everyone for their imfo. on hotes roads ect.a special thx to Sandy&Brian,Mitch

Camille

Jul 8, 2005, 10:35 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1344 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] hotels,motels

Hola, Sandy! As of July 6th, 2005, the Sol Y Luna continues to improve, with the same price structure, and considerably MORE than cordiality toward dogs... I was introduced to Chula as "mi nina" by the manager, who gave me the same phone number you mention. The suite has a bathtub... and if you call ahead the hot water will be turned on in advance of your arrival. After a twelve hour drive from Texas, the suite is a nice big room, plain but comfy, a real treat if you pack some Epsom salts for that tub!
A few doors south of Sol Y Luna is Las Sevillanas restaurant, with all kinds of tortas for 20 pesos, everything really fresh, grilled bolillos and avacado, very clean... a big place capable of dealing with buses and offering cheeses, candies, honey, pickled agave blossoms, and other arcane foodstuffs.
I'll be there every time I'm heading south to the west coast where I live.....
Camille

Cynthia7

Jul 9, 2005, 12:35 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] hotels,motels

Las Sevillanas is the cajeta candy factory that serves those wonderful tortas. i think they have a new place on the cuota.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4