Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

RonMader

Jun 25, 2005, 5:38 AM

Post #1 of 5 (3394 views)

Shortcut

What are the BEST ways to support the local economy?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Excellent discussion. Here's the question I'm mulling after reading this thread:

what are the BEST ways to support the local economy?
Ron Mader
Planeta.com
http://www.planeta.com

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jun 25, 2005, 7:05 AM)

talosian

Jun 25, 2005, 6:34 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader ]Best way to support the local community?

Of course the best way is to buy locally and if possibly from the local merchants and hire workers directly (or those you pay directly).

One of the problems is that in many places where there are many Grongos/Gringas, the market sets the price and there is two tier pricing, one price for Mexicans and one for everyone else. No matter how good a deal it is, some expats still don't like being discriminated against. And there is a lot of price-gouging against expats by some Mexicans and that isn't appreciated either.

And often the "middleman" (Mexican) makes all the profit. I know at the Tianges (or however it's spelled), there are vendors who sell "local" craft items for $200 (after bargaining) which cost them maybe $5 -$10 from the maker.

When I want workers, I go go construction sites or supply houses and give them notes (in Spanish) saying I need workers and put the type of work I want and the pay I give per hour (usually $5 more than average).

Just some random thougts.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

donwilliston

Jun 25, 2005, 8:07 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3350 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader] What are the BEST ways to support the local economy?

At first your topic was confusing to me. I mean, since we have to prove an income of 250 X the minimum wage how could we possibly not contribute to the local economy? But then I realized that the “Local economy” and the “Individual economy” of many families are very different. I hire neighbors do repair work on my house, cut my hair, and I’m even brave enough to hire the kids to do chores. Being generous with tips is a good way to get money to needy people. Certainly making donations to beggars gets money to the poor.

Shopping at small, family owned businesses is a good tactic. It’s a good bet that a family will share the profits more fairly than a chain store. (And a family member will be better protected in an emergency)

However, there are definitely times when Sam’s and Wal-Mart are simply the most reasonable choice of stores.

---
"It's good enough to be true" Gracie Maurahan 1970
---

talosian

Jun 26, 2005, 10:34 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3258 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donwilliston] What are the BEST ways to support the local economy?

Good points with only one exception from my point of view. Giving to "beggers" should, IMHO, be limited to those in physical need. The blind man or the man with deformed legs, etc. But when someone who appears perfectly healthy walks up to me and wants $$$, I don't do it. I feel that in Mexico there is work available for most able-bodied people and if there isn't, they usually have family. It's too easy for someone to simply walk up to a rich Gringo and ask for monry for no reason other than they want it.

And as for the large markets, well, they do employ a lot of people so buing there does in some way support the local population.

Just my thoughts.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

RonMader

Jul 3, 2005, 5:47 AM

Post #5 of 5 (3152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader] What are the BEST ways to support the local economy?

These are all helpful responses. I'm still mulling the idea of making a "top 10" list.

This weekend's news of Live 8 and the "March against Poverty" in Edinburgh are raising attention around the world about ways to alleviate poverty.

Travelers and migrants to Mexico have a clear role to play in contributing to the local economy and job creation. Mind you, I'm not saying that it's a massive role we play, but it's something we should be able to improve.

SUGGESTIONS

Buy direct from local farmers/artisans when possible
Support cooperative markets that pay members fairly
Contribute to street musicians
Take friends and family to local markets
When traveling, buy local foods and crafts
Patronize or organize events in which locals have the opportunity to showcase and sell their products
Ron Mader
Planeta.com
http://www.planeta.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4