Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

abq

May 22, 2005, 9:14 AM

Post #1 of 17 (8755 views)

Shortcut

Vigas

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, I insisted I wanted kiln dried vigas but my builder could only find green wood beams in San Miguel. He can go to Queretaro or Celaya but says they will be more expensive and would hold up construction if they don't arrive in time. Anyone know a local source or someone fast nearby?

Cynthia7

May 22, 2005, 12:37 PM

Post #2 of 17 (8740 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] Vigas

Ask him where he would find kiln dried vigas in Celaya or Queretaro. Ask him how much they would cost? I have never heard of kiln dried wood in my 18 years in Mexico...real kiln dried wood. Would you consider concrete that looked exactly like wood vigas. They would not attract termites like the wood ones. I have seen them that you would have to get up and touch them to know the difference.

abq

May 22, 2005, 1:20 PM

Post #3 of 17 (8736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Vigas

He speaks no English and and my Spanish isn't great. All I said was seco, I think. I just don't want the green stuff. i'll try to find the concrete beams.

jreboll

May 22, 2005, 1:53 PM

Post #4 of 17 (8733 views)

Shortcut

I don't know about SMA but in Michoacan we have a terrible problem with polilla which are wood boring flies which eventually destroy all of your vigas. People who have vigas find themselves having to replace them every few years. It would be wise to consider a substitute.

not_ally

May 23, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #5 of 17 (8701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Vigas

abq, maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but what about concrete vigas covered with wood veneers/panels? That would give you the look you wanted, plus maybe save some money, and if insects get to veneers you can replace the panels as necessary rather having to do the whole thing. I've done that in the States (ie; frame out with plywood then use nice wood panels) when I want to create the look of a big heavy beam but don't want the weight or the cost.
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

abq

May 24, 2005, 11:45 AM

Post #6 of 17 (8662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [not_ally] Vigas

Thank you for the help. My builder is going to install concrete beams. If I don't care for the look, i'll cover them with a wooden veneer.

Esteban

May 24, 2005, 11:48 AM

Post #7 of 17 (8658 views)

Shortcut

I'm sure you can find some good painters who can paint the vigas to look like wood. It's done frequently here in Mazatlan.
Putting wood veneer on concrete is not a good idea. The concrete will continually give off moisture and eventually rot the wood not to speak of wood eating critters.

jennifer rose

May 24, 2005, 11:49 AM

Post #8 of 17 (8658 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Kiln-dried wood is a rarity in these parts, but I know of two in Morelia. Obviously, that's not much help to you. Antique vigas are one option, but they don't come cheap.

One option with the concrete vigas is to paint them to resemble faux wood. I was going to do that in my kitchen, along with faux fauna, but I never got around to doing so.

wyhaines

May 24, 2005, 1:42 PM

Post #9 of 17 (8649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Vigas

Concrete doesn't continually give off moisture. Water has to come from somewhere, and concrete doesn't have an infinite supply.

What concrete does have is a large amount of thermal mass, which means it takes a while to temperature equalize with its environment. So if the concrete is at a fairly low temperature, and the environment around it contains warmer air with a lot of water vapor, that vapor can condense on the concrete. This might be a problem if your climate features a high relative humidity combined with cyclical low temperatures -- if your concrete, which doesn't swing in temperature as fast as the air, is colder than the humid air during part of the day, for instance. It can also be a problem if you have an situation where the temperature inside the home is substantially lower than it is outside of the home, and the air is humid, since water tends to migrate from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature.

The other thing concrete can do, to some extent, is to wick moisture. Concrete is fairly vapor impermeable, but a slab in contact with moist ground, or lower walls in contact with moist ground, if there is no capillary break, can wick moisture from the damp side to the dry side.

Too bad there aren't structural composite material poles. There's a company that, this time next year, will be in business in my hometown that will be making a composite material of recycled plastics and straw that is structural -- it might have a market as vigas in areas with wood boring critters.

Kirk Haines

Cynthia7

May 24, 2005, 2:59 PM

Post #10 of 17 (8638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Vigas

We have some great faux painters in SMA. That is a very good idea.

Bubba

Jun 8, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #11 of 17 (8566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Vigas

I just had a room done with a boveda ceiling and steel beams. We bolted the wood beams to the metal ones to hide the metal. The beauty of it is that if you have any problems with the wood you can change the beams very easily and you get the vigas effect. The herreros installed 6 Inch srews into the metal. the beams are scored to fit over the metal beam that is more or less flush with the bricks at that point. I will either paint the bolt black or cover it with a decorative nail head. I am not sure about the construction terms but it works. You can also install the box beams over the metal that shows.
I also had some carved beam "supports" (mensulas? ) installed under the vigas.All electric wires are running inside the wooden beams.

abq

Jun 8, 2005, 5:40 PM

Post #12 of 17 (8561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Vigas

My meestro found kiln dried vigas after all. The company is here in San Miguel and is called Tres Muchachos.

patricio_lintz

Jun 8, 2005, 8:07 PM

Post #13 of 17 (8548 views)

Shortcut

Locally in Lakeside, 4 inch vigas are available in Ixtalacuacan de los Membrillos, cheap. My architect says to paint them with "burnt oil" which I assume is used motor oil. He claims that this will protect them.

Other ideas: Clove oil, copper tox, creosote, etc. all insecticides plus a fungicide should work as preservatives.

Kip

Jun 14, 2005, 8:13 AM

Post #14 of 17 (8492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Vigas

I'm a faux painter and wood graining is the EASIEST thing to do! You really don't need to be Rembrandt to do it yourself. Fiddle around with a couple of colors on a paint brush (try different sizes) on cardboard of whatever you have handy to get the feel of it. You really can't go wrong...it's just paint. If you just can't seem to get it? At least whoever comes in after you will have a nice base built up!

Kip
kip

abq

Jun 18, 2005, 6:57 AM

Post #15 of 17 (8447 views)

Shortcut

I would love to see a photo if you have one. I just learned that the problems in a porch I had constructed are not only from using green wood but also improper installation. I was told it is best to bolt to the wall.

Bubba

Jun 20, 2005, 8:33 AM

Post #16 of 17 (8415 views)

Shortcut

I dropped my digital camera so I soon as I receive my next one (one my friend comes in from the States) I will send you one. I did not want wood beams as I am very aware of the problems with green wood and also all the termites nad other boring insects. The metal guys installed 6 inch threads into the metal beams and the wood beams are installed covering the meal beams. They look just like any beam. It is difficult to find stright beams so it is a rustico look. I had mensulas carved and installed as "supports" and had the carpenters finish the whole thing with a small trim to hide the connections to the wall. I will send you a picture when I get the camera. The beams are bolted to the ceiling and the bolt is hidden by a wood plug. You could also hide them with decorative metal nails.

abq

Jun 20, 2005, 4:33 PM

Post #17 of 17 (8395 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Bubba. This is a solution I might try.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4