Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

2mexico

Jun 6, 2005, 4:11 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1396 views)

Shortcut

Best Morelia Neighborhoods?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi - when I come to Morelia half way through June I would like to walk around some areas that might be well suited for initially renting and eventually buying in retirement. We want to live in a quiet area with good access (walking) to local shops for daily needs and hopefully more. A place that is fairly clean and well-kept with friendly neighbors we can get to know. An area with nice greenery would be welcome. Affordability is a big factor - we will eventually want to buy with tres recamaras, dos baños, y amplios jardines in the $80-160 range, so renting in that class of casa and colonia would be good. Probably no need for immediate access to centro, but good public transit connection for same.

I ran across a list of areas at a realtor site, see below:

Av. Gertrudis
Camelinas
Cumbres de Morelia
Chapultepec
Floresta
Jardines del Toreo
La Colina
Nueva Jacaranda
Prados Verdes
Santa Maria
Ventura Puente

Are any of these choice locations that might fit my preferences? Anyone have another to suggest that is not in the list?

gpk

Jun 6, 2005, 4:25 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Best Morelia Neighborhoods?

I think there was a discussion about this recently--search the old posts here. Jennifer Rose is the Morelia expert--I am sure she knows the areas you mention and hopefully will give you her opinion. I know some of them. I just bought an apartment in La Loma/La Paloma, and I find the neighborhood perfect for me. I think Camelinas and Chapultepec areas would be good to try, also. Once you hit the streets you will get a good feel for whether an area would be right for you.

jennifer rose

Jun 9, 2005, 3:06 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1337 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I think you've been visiting Tierra Colonial's site at http://www.tierracolonial.com. You're not likely to find local shops or anything in your price range in Cumbres de Morelia. I'd be chary about suggesting Prados Verdes. What you need to do is get yourself a city map of Morelia, a copy of the real estate section in Provincia, and drive around the various neighborhoods until you find something that appeals to you. You'll most likely want to be in the half of the city that's situated south of Av. Madero. There are plenty of areas with those Lake Woebegone qualities that you haven't cited.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jun 9, 2005, 3:14 AM)

2mexico

Jun 9, 2005, 7:41 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Best Morelia Neighborhoods?

Thanks for your comments Jennifer. It wasn't Jen's Tierra Colonial site but another that seemed to suggest that my list covered all the recognized areas for real estate sales. If I visit as planned I will be using public transit and expecting to walk a lot. Your last sentence left me a little confused - "There are plenty of areas with those Lake Woebegone qualities that you haven't cited." - you meant "have cited"? So south of that Av. Medro line, are there any neighborhoods in particular that I should start with? Is the reason for the Southern emphasis affordability primarily?

jennifer rose

Jun 9, 2005, 9:32 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1315 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Your remark about "friendly neighbors" triggered the Lake Woebegone reference. While no one likes landing next to the Clampetts, neighbors move on. And there is always a neighbor you just can't stand for one reason or another. Social relationships tend to be determined by a lot more than proximity, and that's even more so in Mexico.

The south end is certainly not the inexpensive end, although there are properties all over the board. The north side tends to be more popular and industrial. On the south side is a huge range, varying from La Huerta, Las Fuentes, Vista Bella, Santa Maria, the new developments out toward Jesus del Monte, La Paloma, Club Campestre, Las Americas, the Chapultepecs and even more. There are townhouse developments, urban areas, the suburbs and the ex-urbs.

It's far more than you could walk, and the public transportation to and from some of these areas means taxi. The combis will not go out to those areas in which the natives tend toward their own wheels. One way to familiarize yourself with the terrain would be to hire a taxi driver for a few hours, just to cruise around.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4