Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

2mexico

Jun 6, 2005, 3:57 PM

Post #1 of 10 (2778 views)

Shortcut

Living in Patzcuaro vs. Uruapan

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be visiting Morelia, Patzcuaro, and Uruapan soon to scout retirement locations. Of course I will form impressions about which location I favor, but I would welcome any opinions about relative merits - especially between Patzcuaro and Uruapan. Climate, safety, expense, friendliness of people are factors I would like to hear about - things that might not be apparent to one with a few days' visit.

Marta R

Jun 8, 2005, 4:47 PM

Post #2 of 10 (2718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Living in Patzcuaro vs. Uruapan

Be wary of the weather, Stan. We arrived in Morelia last Friday, in the midst of a heat wave that has even the Morelians wilting on the streets. But I am assured that it is not always thus, so make sure you ask around. And remember that one personīs warm (eg, my husbandīs) is another personīs Iīm-gonna-die. (No, really, itīs not that bad but it is much, much hotter than we expected.)

Marta

Gwynne

Jun 8, 2005, 6:02 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Living in Patzcuaro vs. Uruapan

Stanwolf,
We are looking at that area also. We were in Patzcuaro and Santa Clara in April and really liked the cooler temperatures. We'll be going back in August to continue exploring. The biggest problem we've found so far is that it's more difficult to find real estate than it is somewhere like Chapala or San Miguel. There aren't as many properties and very few realtors speak english. I also understand it gets downright cold during the winter. That's OK by me, but a turn-off to a lot of people. Stay in touch and let's trade information.
DL

2mexico

Jun 8, 2005, 7:55 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donlott] Living in Patzcuaro vs. Uruapan

Be sure to read everything on Michael Dickson's blog sites starting with http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/ and continuing with links at the bottom of that page. He is a most amusing observer of life in the Patzcuaro area and will provide a good sense of the climate among other things. His place is in Tzurumútaro, on the edge of Patzcuaro.

I am currently debating whether to proceed with an investigation of Morelia/Patzcuaro/Uruapan or go back to my original plan to relocate to Merida, Yucatan. It is hot as blazes there, but it is SO safe and SO friendly, and SO charming in ways that appeal to me. Probably more affordable than Morelia as well.

2mexico

Jun 8, 2005, 7:59 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisnmarta] Living in Patzcuaro vs. Uruapan

Thanks for the heads-up Marta. I had to smile when I read your warning, though, as I have been considering going back to my original plan to choose Merida, Yucatan - a place I am already familiar with and very fond of. Their high temps this week are in the 103-106 F range, with super-high humidity.

jennifer rose

Jun 9, 2005, 3:21 AM

Post #6 of 10 (2681 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Asking for a comparison of Morelia, Uruapan and Patzcuaro is sort of like asking to compare Los Angeles, Fresno and Carmel. Each has its unique qualities.

In reponses to other threads in this forum, I've given out the URLs for real estate agents. I'll add another: http://www.century21cupatitzio.com/index.php

gpk

Jun 9, 2005, 7:58 AM

Post #7 of 10 (2670 views)

Shortcut

There are plenty of properties available in Morelia--I just looked at about a hundred recently. I think if a real estate agent knows you are serious, he/she will find an associate who speaks English. If the language is going to be a real problem, then San Miguel or Chapala might be more comfortable for you.

The winter problem in Patzcuaro is not the outside temperature--it is the INSIDE temperature. Most houses have minimal heat, if any, and by the end of the cold season the inside of the house is like a refrigerator. I work for a notario in Leon, Gto. and during Dec. and Jan. everyone in the office wears winter coats inside while working--and Leon is much warmer than Patzcuaro.

Gwynne

Jun 9, 2005, 11:04 AM

Post #8 of 10 (2652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Living in Patzcuaro vs. Uruapan

Jennifer, Thanks for the realtors sites. We talked to the Century 21 people when we were there but they didn't have much to show us. (I think they are the only realtor IN Patzcuaro. Right?) We have a friend in Santa Clara who is looking for us also. The problem seems to be that the things we love about the area: no commercialization, well kept secret, etc. are also the things that make it more difficult for someone from NOB to find housing. We'll keep after it and hope to muddle through.
Yes, it would be easier if we wanted to live in Morelia. However, we are moving out of a large city with lots of traffic and don't really want to move into another. We would like to spend time in Morelia and enjoy the many things the city has to offer......and then go home at the end of the day.

Anonimo

Jun 14, 2005, 6:23 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2592 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Jennifer, Thanks for the realtors sites. We talked to the Century 21 people when we were there but they didn't have much to show us. (I think they are the only realtor IN Patzcuaro. Right?) We have a friend in Santa Clara who is looking for us also. The problem seems to be that the things we love about the area: no commercialization, well kept secret, etc. are also the things that make it more difficult for someone from NOB to find housing. We'll keep after it and hope to muddle through.
Yes, it would be easier if we wanted to live in Morelia. However, we are moving out of a large city with lots of traffic and don't really want to move into another. We would like to spend time in Morelia and enjoy the many things the city has to offer......and then go home at the end of the day.

Our thoughts about moving are similar to yours, donlott. We want 3 seasons, and a cooler climate. We think that we can deal with the Winter's cold. Right now, we are in Little Rock, AR, where we've lived since 1996. Before that, 15 years in Mountain View, AR. Enough heat and humidity!
Also, we figure that if the cold gets to be "old", we can take a break and drive to the coast for a few days.

Saludos,
Anonimo

gpk

Jun 14, 2005, 10:41 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2575 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Living in Patzcuaro vs. Uruapan

It's true--if you have the time and the money, there is always somewhere in Mexico where the weather is perfect.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4