Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

MazDee

Jun 2, 2005, 9:03 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2636 views)

Shortcut

Questions about moving to Maz

Can't Post | Private Reply
Alison, I hope it is ok with you, I am answering your questions to another forum here, because they are about Maz, and I think you will get more local input. Plus, I am afraid of Bubba and intimidated about putting my comments elsewhere! He probably lurks here, too, doesn't matter! Just kidding!

BANKING
Bank of America, here in Olympia says they have ATM machines all over Mazatlan and have dealings with some of the banks there. If our checks are deposited directly into BOA here, would we have any problems drawing out money to pay bills etc in Mazatlan? If not, what is the alternative? Not going anywhere near California on the way so that's out, I guess. (Anne, what did you do)
Your BofA account is fine, lots of ATMS to get your money, but I got a Cal Commerce account and love it! I did this by mail, because their only office is in LA. They pay a small amount of interest on the Amistad account, where I have my SS and pension checks deposited. Since they are owned by Banamex (which is owned by Citibank) there are other advantages. I have gotten great service from Banamex when I had problems, and of course ATM is free as well as (I think) are wire transfers and other stuff I havenít used. You can also call their toll free number and get good service there. (Most 800 numbers are NOT toll free here). An aside- Bubba hates this bank but Rolly uses it!

INTERNET PROVIDERS
AOL tells me that I would have to get a local provider and then get AOL again. Do I really need AOL? Who are the local providers and how much do they cost per month? Is everything DSL there?
You got good answers on the other forum. You must drop AOL. I use Megacable and like it pretty well. It costs about $30 US a month. I can pay them on-line. Telmex has 2 services, one is cheaper and most people complain about it (slow) and their Prodigy Infinitum (DSL) is probably the best in town and costs about $50 US a month. My computer is for fun, not business. So the Megacable is fine. One thing that you should know is that in some of the northern areas of the city, including El Cid, there is no cable. And, you cannot get cable service for your computer unless you have TV cable too.
U.S. ADDRESS
I've been reading that it is mandatory to have a stateside address. When we sell our home in Feb: we won't have a permanent address and if the Mexican mail is not very punctual and efficient, as some say it is, how can I pay my bills on time?
Pay on line, or have an automatic withdrawal from you bank. I have used my brotherís address for over 2 years, but have decided to change everything to my local address. Service is good where I live, even tho it takes up to 2 weeks to receive mail. I donít know why it is mandatory, lots of people donít have US addresses. Even olí Bubba. I put my Mexican address on my tax returns this year! Waiting to see what happens! I only have one US bill, Visa, and that is on an automatic pay plan with my CU. Anyway, my brother has been sending stuff to me every month or so, why not get everybody to send it direct. I will actually get it sooner. I am going to try it.
TELEVISION
Some of you have cable and some have saterllite (sp). We are die hard sports fans, especially football. I'm Oakland Raiders and Ed is Seattle Seahawks. We love our baseball and football and we both love the Mariners. So, which is better, cable or sat:? How much does it cost per month, for each service.
If you are sports fans, definitely get satellite! Or, you can go to a sports bar and see what you want! I am not a sports fan, nor a TV fan. Megacable has ESPN and such, but really not many channels in English. As mentioned above, you have to subscribe (another $30 a month) if you want Megared, their computer cable.
I hope other local expats will pipe up here for your edification. See ya when you get here! Dee

kirkswig

Jun 3, 2005, 4:19 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Questions about moving to Maz

A quick note about AOL.

Yes, you can no longer use AOL as your internet service provider when in Mexico, however, you can continue to subscribe to AOL's content and access it through whichever provider you end up with down here.

I think they call the plan, bring-your-own-bandwidth, or something like that.

However, unless there's some compelling reason not to, I'd recommend just getting rid of AOL altogether. Use Yahoo or Gmail for your email address.

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

ncferret

Jun 3, 2005, 9:47 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2603 views)

Shortcut

If you haven't already looked at this site, it will answer MANY of your questions about MazatlŠn.

http://www.maztravel.com/kwiki/

Banking, internet, phones, home issues, hotels, rental, etc...

The http://www.maztravel.com/ is also packed with info.

Marlene / Moderator

Jun 3, 2005, 3:43 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2581 views)

Shortcut

Plus, I am afraid of Bubba and intimidated about putting my comments elsewhere! He probably lurks here, too, doesn't matter! Just kidding!

Hi Dee, thanks for appropriately responding to the Mazatlan questions here. That's great. And don't worry about Bubba. I think he is actually a closet Mazatleco. (Now we will find out if he lurks in these parts or not! hehehe)

Marlene / Moderator

Jun 3, 2005, 3:51 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2579 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] Questions about moving to Maz

I think they call the plan, bring-your-own-bandwidth, or something like that.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term BYOB!

I have actually become a fan of gmail recently thanks to the invitations our Jennifer R. was sharing. It is very cool, keeps one better organized and has loads of storage space. The email can then be forwarded to your Prodigy.mx or your Megared e-accounts if you choose. Web base email accounts are a great back-up here in Mexico.

ncferret

Jun 3, 2005, 5:45 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Questions about moving to Maz

I don't want to get into a technical discussion of GMail (there is a technical forum), but you should be careful with using Google products (searching and email). If you are going to use GMail, at least read the Google privacy policy very carefully.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html

I read earlier today that Google is the only Search engine that maintains records of every thing the user does with its products FOREVER. Other engines like Yahoo and MSN only keep the information around for a short period of time due to storage constraints. Google has decided your information is too valuable to loose, so they retain everything in their records. Can you imagine the quantity of data they must retain on a daily basis?

As Marlene suggests using an online email service, such as Yahoo Mail, is a good idea. I use Yahoo to filter out spam and I have never received a virus and rarely get Spam. This also gives you an offsite backup of your mail, if you sent up your accounts properly.

Its not that I send or receive any really confidential email or that I do any really interesting searches, but its just a little creepy to me that all that stuff is sitting somewhere in cyberspace forever. Google gives new meaning to the phrase "Big brother is watching." - LOL

Marlene / Moderator

Jun 3, 2005, 6:09 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2558 views)

Shortcut

Re: Web Beacons

I like Gmail, but if you are concerned about this type of thing, you should be aware of the updated Yahoo policy and their use of "web beacons".

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jun 3, 2005, 6:21 PM)

Alison Cunningham

Jun 4, 2005, 12:29 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2536 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Web Beacons

Thanks all for the info. Okay, no AOL. I'll get rid of it before I leave. I already have a Yahoo account and they have been pretty good. I also have my College website through Yahoo Groups. Although I'm part owner of the website, I did not create it, my college mate in the Netherlands did. I'm not that computer savvy, as, like Dee, my puter is only for fun.
Dee, we do have a Citibank here in Oly so I might check with them as well, but I'll get an account with BOA as well.
I guess I'll talk to you guys when I get there. Ed likes TV. I don't watch it too much except for sports or a real good movie. Otherwise, I'm always involved with something else.
Dee, I will be arriving in Maz on October 11th, but will email you before we leave. Hope to meet some or all of you. Will be nice. You too Marlene. Don was my first contact with Maz and you were my second.
HI BUBBA, IF YOU'RE WATCHING. :-()
Thanks again everyone.
Alison.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4