Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Sherrill

May 28, 2005, 4:13 PM

Post #1 of 21 (4826 views)

Shortcut

Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We got stopped last week for supposedly making an illegal left-hand turn to go up the hill on the cut off road. I was applying lipstick so I really don't know if the arrow was green or not. My husband swears the arrow was green but cop says it wasn't and that he thought my husband was driving too fast anyway and wanted to issue a $400 peso ticket. Said he did not speak English. I asked him if we could pay the ticket on the spot rather than going to the office in Chapala. He said no problem, $200 pesos, no ticket. It was a very friendly, non-threatening exchange. Oh, we have Yucatan plates not USA but I guess that still marked vehicle as foreign. Then we chatted with two other couples who had got stopped in the past few days. One guy was smarter. said he did not speak español and he wasn't paying anything! My question is does the cop keep a list? How many times can you get stopped in say a month? Is this just part of the cost of living?

lmaxine

May 28, 2005, 5:31 PM

Post #2 of 21 (4796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sherrill] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

For the most part, I think that if you pay the unwarranted "ticket" on the spot, it just encourages the corruption. If you tell them to write the ticket and you will pay it in Chapala, they probably won't even give it to you. And if they do, it's probably nowhere near the price they told you. Go to www.ajijiclaw.com and get a form from that website that seems to be helping some people discourage that type of extortion.
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

Bubba

May 28, 2005, 6:40 PM

Post #3 of 21 (4776 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sherrill] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Just pay the damn ticket which you, no doubt , richly deserve and for a lousy $20USD you have learned some things that will help you cope down here:

(1) In Mexico, when there is a sign that says (in Spanish, OK?), "Turn Left on Left Arrow" you are to turn left on the left arrow and not before the left arrow. Is this rocket science?

(2) Put on your makeup at home.

Do you mean to imply that you are from Yucatan because you have Yucatan plates? I think not. Tell us about your home town in Yucatan.

Don't be coming down here and making fun of people unless you plan to amuse us.

(This post was edited by Bubba on May 28, 2005, 6:50 PM)

bournemouth

May 28, 2005, 7:09 PM

Post #4 of 21 (4763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Please don't be so g.d. rude to someone asking a question. How was she making fun of folks who live in Ajijic? I think you'll find that this Sherrill has been living near Celestun for some time, hence the Yucatan plates. She may have been putting on lipstick but her husband was driving the car so the makeup has nothing to do with the problem she mentioned except that she wasn't watching the arrow at the magic moment.

You must be feeling unusually testy and/or super sensitive to perceived slights to those living in the great burg of Ajijic tonight!

rjkveton

May 28, 2005, 7:38 PM

Post #5 of 21 (4753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

I suspect that Bubba is suffering withdrawal pains, Smitty's barbecue is closed on Saturday, and Sunday as well, so he can't get his next fix until Monday noon, so please cut him a little slack.

I think what he took umbrage to is the implication that we gringo denizens of lakeside just roll over and pay the "propina" at each traffic stop and consider this to be another user fee for residency here. Well not me. I always demand the ticket and am usually sent on my merry way once the transito realizes there is no money in it for him. Offering to "settle it on the spot" IMHO is not the way to go. I have paid one fine for a traffic violation in the 4 years I've lived here, for going the wrong way on a one way street, and I was in the wrong.

Don't let the transitos imtimidate you. The only authority they have is to write you a ticket for the alleged infraction.

Marlene

May 28, 2005, 8:54 PM

Post #6 of 21 (4727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rjkveton] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

We have Boys in Brown stationed somewhat hidden from immediate view at a main intersection at the entrance to the Golden Zone in Mazatlán. It is a tedious traffic light (with a very short left turn arrow) and all kinds of weird driving things go on there when the light turns green.

The guys with the whistles do a very brisk, and highly visible business but their clientele are not gringos here. I sometimes have opportunity to watch the side show from the restaurant on the corner, and have noted that the vehicles are never stopped long enough to receive a ticket. A lot of hand-shaking goes on though.

Sherrill

May 28, 2005, 10:14 PM

Post #7 of 21 (4716 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Well, gee, Bubba, I actually wrote the post as you seemed to be bored and thought this might pique your interest!

Thanks Bournemouth for your accurate interpretation of what I said and, yes, we do live in Celestún where they don´t give any tickets-yet. My husband was annoyed cause I wasn't paying attention to his driving and he really didn't know if it was a bogus stop or not. Thing is we are moving to San Juan Cosalá and I really did want to get an idea of how best to deal with getting stopped. Conclusion: take the ticket, follow the legal channels and pay up at the office.

fhabacht

May 29, 2005, 4:36 AM

Post #8 of 21 (4694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rjkveton] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

I agree with your post about Bubba's withdrawal...except we ate at Smitty's on Satuday and had the ribs that only "exist" on Friday...they have a sign that says open Mon-Fri....but they LIE!

1ajijic

May 29, 2005, 8:34 AM

Post #9 of 21 (4654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fhabacht] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Enough people make illegal lefts at that particular light so that the transito doesn't have to frame you. That's why they station themselves there. There is a little guy on a motorcycle, riding boots, spurs, big helmet and dark glasses who is especially willing to settle legal matters on the side of the road. Don't encourage him!. Take the ticket and pay it within 48 hours and get the 75 or 95 (?) percent discount for prompt payment / I'm not sure of the percent.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Bubba

May 29, 2005, 8:35 AM

Post #10 of 21 (4653 views)

Shortcut

Pardon me, Sherrill. I was, indeed, rude. That was a legitimate inquiry. I'm sure that I didn't send that message since you are one of my favorite posters. Someone is clearly sneaking in here and posting behind my back.

When I first got here in 2001, the cops were always hanging around the stoplights to issue tickets to all kinds of people. It seems to me that that rarely happens these days.

And, yes indeed Smitty's was open yesterday with some ribs left over from Friday. Too bad I have to go back on my diet.

You know, I like Celestun as a place to visit but Gowalmighty is that one lonely access road.

(This post was edited by Bubba on May 29, 2005, 8:43 AM)

Bubba

May 29, 2005, 1:00 PM

Post #11 of 21 (4603 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Bournemouth follows me around reminding me of my transgressions when I walk around here and forget my pooper scooper. If Bournemouth were a forum cop with the power to determine that which defines excess posting language, I would have so many tickets by now that I would have to mortgage my house to pay them. She offered me a new keyboard but when I received it it only had a "delete" key.

Someone else around these forums posted a reminder that readers should dress properly in "fine" restaurants around here. I don't own anything but blue jeans but would really like to know where someone found a "fine' Restuarant within 1,000 kilometers of this burg. If you moved here for the restaurant food, go ahead and shoot yourself because it ain't gonna get any better.

Esteban

May 30, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #12 of 21 (4512 views)

Shortcut

You can always try and ditch he cop especially if he is off his motorcycle. If you know your hood, you could probably be long gone and in hiding. Even if he catches you there is no eluding a police officer law so no harm done. I did this in Mazatlan but did get caught. When the transito came up to my car I immediately told him that the light changed WAY to fast and I didn't think it was fair. He laughed and agreed but I still had to pay the piper. I think he was proud that he had made been successful in tracking me down. I believe the Mexican constitution has some kind of provision for the inherent natural desire for man to seek other places to be than in jail or at the mercy of the police or government. Just food for thought as I am not recommending doing this unless you are very familiar with your neck of the woods.

juan david

May 30, 2005, 6:54 AM

Post #13 of 21 (4480 views)

Shortcut

The left turn arrow is a big money maker for the town, but the three second amber is something to pay attention to...very short. I got stopped 'cause I was watching other cars trying to cut in and the light changed on me. Juan Carlos(the cop) started out stern and officious and spoke no english. So we conversed in Spanish and 5 minutes later we were on first name basis. He just gave me a warning and said to be careful of the short amber. When I offered him 50 pesos to buy lunch, he declined. He's a burly guy with a moustache and our maid tells us that he's one of the good guys.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

Sherrill

May 30, 2005, 7:06 AM

Post #14 of 21 (4479 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

hmm, ditching cop while he is off motorcycle. Don't think I'm going to share that one with my husband. He would find it really appealing. Yes, Bubba, that is one long road to Celestún but actually friendly. Never had any problems. I think Yucatan is definitely more provincial than Jalisco. ln a way, we are moving Chapala area for the restaurants, I want to cook less. But we gained weight eating out twice a day and going to the donut shop while we stayed in Ajijic for a month house shopping. Can't do that in Celestún. Menu is fish and rice; rice and fish. Must say I love the Julia Child quote.

Papirex

May 30, 2005, 8:53 AM

Post #15 of 21 (4457 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Esteban is right, there is probably no law anywhere in The Republic against trying to elude the cops. About four years ago , when the drug lord Guzman escaped from prison, The News, in reporting on it stated that there is a section of The Mexican Constitution that states that it is a natural desire for a person to want to be free. So there is no law against attempting to escape from prison, or jail, or penalty for attempting to escape. I don’t know it, but there is probably no extra penalty when an escapee is recaptured.

One of my wife’s uncles successfully ditched the cops in Mexico City once. He likes to gleefully tell how they told him to follow them to the police station, they didn’t take his drivers license. When they turned on to a one way street, he put the pedal to the metal and blasted through the intersection. The cops couldn’t chase him without making a U-turn, and driving against traffic.

It points out some of what is meant by a “different culture.”

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Tonk

Jun 4, 2005, 8:08 AM

Post #16 of 21 (4241 views)

Shortcut

I don't know if it is still on the books, but during the revolution there was the "ley de fuga" which allowed any detained person to be shot in the back if they tried to escape. A favorite tactic was to tell a detainee that they were free to go and shoot them as they left. Keep this in mind when the pinche rinche tells you that you are fee to go.

Yo no compro coco. Y porque como poco coco, poco coco compro.

Bubba

Jun 4, 2005, 9:04 AM

Post #17 of 21 (4220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tonk] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Tonk:

Rummy's perfect solution at Gitmo.

As for Ajijic, however, do they actually issue those deputies real bullets? That's scary.

jreboll

Jun 4, 2005, 9:28 AM

Post #18 of 21 (4212 views)

Shortcut

Years ago there was a cop at a certain intersection coming out of Cd. Guadalupe that would always blow his whistle every time he saw foreign license plates. If you were gullible enough to stop he would find an excuse to extract a mordida out of you. Those of us who knew that route would ignore the whistle and keep on driving. We knew he was just standing there having a drink with his buddies and had no wheels to chase after us. (By the way, spellcheck does not recognize any spelling of gullible. Is it a word?)

Esteban

Jun 4, 2005, 10:51 AM

Post #19 of 21 (4195 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Cop at the Chapala cut-off traffic light-how many times do you have to pay up?

Back in the 60's there were checkpoints on the highway from Nogales to Mazatlan. I'm not sure which agency was there but they were at least 200 feet off the road. They always waved us over but knowing they didn't have radios or vehicles, we always kept going. As far as the word "Gullible" goes vs. spellcheck....Gullible is a proper noun ie "Gullibles Travels"

esperanza

Jun 4, 2005, 11:51 AM

Post #20 of 21 (4176 views)

Shortcut

<smacks Esteban>

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Georgia

Jun 4, 2005, 12:05 PM

Post #21 of 21 (4172 views)

Shortcut

Pay the ticket in five days, and you get 50% off. Honest. Actually, if you want the ticket, they probably will just give you a lecture.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4