Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Morgan

May 26, 2005, 8:09 AM

Post #1 of 18 (2597 views)

Shortcut

WV to Manzanillo

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be driving from WV to Manzanillo and would really appreciate recommendations, guidance and/or comments on border crossings, and route. My main concern is how to get through or around Guadalajara.
Also, a mexico connect member recommended the Guia Roji road atlas for Mexico. I looked on Amazon and Barnes and Noble for the Grand Atlas as mentioned on the Guia Roji site but it was not available at either place. Does anyone know where I could obtail a copy?
I am looking at a GPS automobile navigation system (Garmin or Magellan) but am having difficulty getting info on usability in Mexico. Does anyone have experience with in car GPS in Mexico.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Morgan

Rolly

May 26, 2005, 8:15 AM

Post #2 of 18 (2591 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Morgan] WV to Manzanillo

For map information, look here: http://rollybrook.com/maps.htm

Getting past GDL is a bitch. Good luck.

Rolly Pirate

Bear

May 26, 2005, 8:22 AM

Post #3 of 18 (2588 views)

Shortcut

Unfortunately, good GPS highway maps are not available for Mexico like US, Canada and Western Europe yet. Your auto system wont work well here yet. Im told, soon! The maps Rolly refered you to will serve you well.

(This post was edited by frank fundaro on May 26, 2005, 8:24 AM)

Brian

May 26, 2005, 8:28 AM

Post #4 of 18 (2586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frank fundaro] WV to Manzanillo

I am happy with the Garmin GPS map available at http://www.gmap.com.mx/es/garmin.htm It doesn't offer the same features of CityMap available in the US such as restaurants, hotels etc. It is fairly up to date and does show the location of Pemex stations.

saludos
Brian

Bear

May 26, 2005, 8:49 AM

Post #5 of 18 (2574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] WV to Manzanillo

Brian,
Thank you. GPS Map "Carreteras y Autopistas" looks great. I did not know it was available.
I was wrong.

sfmacaws

May 26, 2005, 2:53 PM

Post #6 of 18 (2537 views)

Shortcut

Thank you Brian, I also didn't know that was available. I've used Garmin's standard map which shows most highways but few toll roads and no local detail.

Do you have Global Map's countrywide Carreteras y Autopistas? $150USD is steep but if it is really good I'll probably spring for it. I would like a first hand account though.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Brian

May 26, 2005, 4:10 PM

Post #7 of 18 (2527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] WV to Manzanillo

As I indicated, I am pleased using the Carreteras de Mexico GPS map with my Garmin Quest. I don't know what your standard of "really good" is and, therefore, am reluctant to recommend that you spend the money involved. I don't know of any combination of GPS and mapping software that does not occasionally give incorrect or confusing instructions. The Mapsource software that comes with Garmin units does, as you note, provide rudimentary routing along main highways and will get you where you are going. If you like to see finer detail (although not local street-level mapping) of even small villages, gas station locations and points of interest then the expense may or may not be worth it.

Brian

sfmacaws

May 26, 2005, 8:36 PM

Post #8 of 18 (2492 views)

Shortcut

You're right, I should have been more specific with my questions. I'd like it to have current toll roads; some city detail for places the size of Cd Obregon, Villahermosa, Puerto Vallarta, Tepic; zoomed detail for larger cities like Monterey, Queretaro, Puebla; and nationwide coverage of smaller roads like ones generally called "red" roads in the US. Does it have this kind of detail? The examples shown on the web site do have these things, I'm wondering if it is consistent? Have you had it long enough to know if it is upgraded occasionally? Whether they charge for the upgrade or not? I notice this is the 2005 version but I don't know if there was a 2004 version or not.

If you have the time, look in the Yucatan and see if it shows a road from Tulum through Cobá to Valladolid. The section from Cobá to Valladolid was built in the last 4 or 5 years, if it is there that would be a good sign.

Thanks,

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Brian

May 27, 2005, 5:57 AM

Post #9 of 18 (2468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] WV to Manzanillo

Hi

It has decent (by my standards) zoom details in the larger cities but not smaller ones like PV. Attached is a screenshot of the route between Coba-Valladolid. Hope this helps.

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on May 27, 2005, 5:58 AM)
Attachments: Coba.jpg (171 KB)
  Coba.jpg (171 KB)

sfmacaws

May 27, 2005, 12:51 PM

Post #10 of 18 (2426 views)

Shortcut

Thank you Brian, the newer road isn't on there so their data at least in that area is several years old. Still, it's got the 'red' roads (grey on this map) and a lot more detail than what I have. I may spring for it. My gps is a Garmin Map76 so according to the web page I will be able to upload this map into it as well as use it on the pc.

I've been hooked on a gps since the first time I got one, I love knowing where I am and what direction I'm going and what the elevation is and all that stuff. Having a good map is part of it although I still use it constantly even when all I can see is how far from the ocean I am and the lat and long lines. The current map of Mexico and Belize is so bad that we are usually running about a mile to the side of any road that does show up on it.

Again, thanks for the info and the screen shot.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

(This post was edited by sfmacaws on May 27, 2005, 12:52 PM)

Morgan

Jun 1, 2005, 5:31 AM

Post #11 of 18 (2354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] WV to Manzanillo

Thanks Rolly.
Which maps would you recommend
Guia Roji Road Atlas: Mexico Grand Atlas
Guia Roji Road Atlas: Mexico Road Atlas de Carreterras 2005

Guia Roji Mexico Tourist Road Atlas in English

Morgan

Rolly

Jun 1, 2005, 6:32 AM

Post #12 of 18 (2347 views)

Shortcut

I use the Atlas de Carreterras.

Rolly Pirate

Brian

Jun 1, 2005, 7:24 AM

Post #13 of 18 (2337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] WV to Manzanillo

My vote is for "Por las carreteras de Mexico". Readily available at convenience stores attached to Pemex stations near the border. Cost us 130 pesos for the 2004 edition. I'm not sure what other features the Atlas contains. Here's a link to the various maps available: http://comercial.mural.com/mapas/guiaroji.asp

saludos

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Jun 1, 2005, 7:28 AM)

esperanza

Jun 1, 2005, 8:38 AM

Post #14 of 18 (2327 views)

Shortcut

Absolutely, I third the motion for "Por las Carreteras de México". It's the best, bar none.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Jun 5, 2005, 11:09 AM

Post #15 of 18 (2238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] WV to Manzanillo

Two Questions:

Where the hell is WV?

Are you guys seriously discussing road maps?

Officer Bubba

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jun 5, 2005, 12:13 PM)

Cynthia7

Jun 5, 2005, 2:57 PM

Post #16 of 18 (2213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] WV to Manzanillo

West Virginia????

johanson

Jun 5, 2005, 5:56 PM

Post #17 of 18 (2190 views)

Shortcut

Bubba knows better than that, he's just joshing you. Remember he used to live in Europe. Those of us from Europe, especially those who speak Nederlands know that WV stands for WatersportVereniging. Oh that means asociación del deporte (del agua) Or Water Sport Association (or club). It's usually a sailing club.

Morgan

Jun 7, 2005, 5:20 AM

Post #18 of 18 (2132 views)

Shortcut

It beats discussing fridge cleaning!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4