Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

alex .

May 24, 2005, 7:24 AM

Post #26 of 54 (3148 views)

Shortcut

Re: [palomares] no, thank you

Can't Post | Private Reply
Too much internet mischief. I actually had a guy get so upset at me on this forum that he called my employer and accused me of using company resources (the computer) to threaten his family. Of course our IT Security guys were able to review my computer activity and were able to promptly dismiss the guy as a certifiable nut case. If it happened to someone who did not have those resources , it could have been problematic. Do not underestimate the capacity of our fellow human beings to be just plain mean.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on May 24, 2005, 7:34 AM)

Miguel Palomares

May 24, 2005, 7:34 AM

Post #27 of 54 (3138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] no, thank you

Can't Post |
I am absolutely stunned at what I am reading on this thread! No wonder so many of you folks are hiding under your beds. I would be too. But, one must wonder what those of you who are the focus of the insane did to inspire their ire. I wonder.

Apart from the San Miguel moderator, I never get these reactions from people, never, and I lead with my chin on the internet. See below.

Knock on wood.
From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

alex .

May 24, 2005, 7:47 AM

Post #28 of 54 (3127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [palomares] what I did to inspire

This particular character was posting trash and provoking people under a false handel. Some of these posts were accusing folks of posting under false handels. He then posted on another forum, not knowing that I lurked there as well, bragging about what a bunch of dumba$$es there are on Mexconnect, and how he had them all fooled. I posted on Mexconnect a link to the post on the other forum, thus exposing the character. he got kinda upset.
Alex

abq

May 24, 2005, 9:11 AM

Post #29 of 54 (3097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] what I did to inspire

I'll include my photo if I ever find the one of me in Oaxaca's Casa de Mescal where the two young studish waiters look like they're with me. Otherwise, folks will just have to guess.

bournemouth

May 24, 2005, 9:37 AM

Post #30 of 54 (3086 views)

Shortcut

You equate being deleted with the kind of response that Alex details? Apples and oranges I would have thought.

rjkveton

May 24, 2005, 10:26 AM

Post #31 of 54 (3067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [palomares] Show yourselves

It is with great glee, albeit with a tad of trepidation, that I add my ugly mug to the Mexico Connect Portrait Hall of Fame, or shame as the case may be.

Study it carefully, oh ye denizens of lakeside, so that you might stop confusing me with my faux brother Marc (not the same Marc who posts on these forums) as he sports only a goatee, but I a full beard, and besides he is Canadian, whereas I am a citizen of the Great Nation of Texas.

Bear

May 24, 2005, 10:38 AM

Post #32 of 54 (3055 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rjkveton] Show yourselves

Russ,
I think I saw that picture in a Post Office in Rosebud, Texas.

Esteban

May 24, 2005, 10:58 AM

Post #33 of 54 (3042 views)

Shortcut

" I am absolutely stunned at what I am reading on this thread! No wonder so many of you folks are hiding under your beds. I would be too. But, one must wonder what those of you who are the focus of the insane did to inspire their ire. I wonder."

That coment reminds me of how police sometimes blame women who have been raped because of how they dress.

Like I said before, your logic is flawed and very naive.

You assume people are hiding under their beds. Bad choice of words in my opinion. I'd say it's more like a group of warriors with knowledge of conflict and the dangers of whackos. It's a position of survival, intelligence and readiness to launch that grenade when you see the whites of their eyes.

(This post was edited by Esteban on May 24, 2005, 11:02 AM)

Papirex

May 24, 2005, 11:09 AM

Post #34 of 54 (3036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] no, thank you

Well dammit, here I am agreeing with Esteban again. I think he has done a very good job of describing the proactive actions some of us have taken to thwart the vicious actions of a few ill mannered jerks.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Gringal

May 24, 2005, 1:05 PM

Post #35 of 54 (2992 views)

Shortcut

I can't believe that a man of your devious intelligence is at all surprised that the censor's stamp hits your postings on the SMA forum. Part of your "trolling" seems designed to bug the moderator in particular. It's even harder to believe that you don't get inflamed personal responses from those into whose gas tanks you have thrown matches. I strongly object to censorship on principle, but it's no mystery as to why you are getting the hook. The trolling, while I sometimes find it amusing, is not adding anything positive to the site.

"Blaming the victim" is a poor argument, always. If nobody makes personal attacks on you, just consider yourself lucky.

Rolly

May 24, 2005, 1:55 PM

Post #36 of 54 (2967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frank fundaro] Show yourselves

"I think I saw that picture in a Post Office in Rosebud, Texas."

What were you doing in Rosebud? Nothing good has happened in that dump since I was born there 74 years ago.

Rolly Pirate

Miguel Palomares

May 24, 2005, 2:23 PM

Post #37 of 54 (2949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringal] no, thank you

Can't Post |
Devious intelligence?! I love that.

I confess a certain glee in bugging the San Miguel moderator. It is true. Color me guilty. It is also totally justified. I cannot reply in exquisite and accurate detail here in public as to the reason for that. It would be unseemly and ungentlemanly. I was reared in Georgia.

And I cannot reply in a private message because you have cut yourself off from our world.

And, no, I very rarely get hot private responses to my postings. Truly. I get quite a bit of hoo-rahs, however. You would be surprised. The unpleasant ones are almost exclusively on the public forum. And I enjoy them.

I troll a tad, it is true, mostly there with you San Miguelites. And the trolling quite often brings up interesting things and responses. Dark fishes from the deep. It makes for fun reading for me and for our other friends here. It cannot all be about bank accounts and what highway to take to wherever.

Some, sure. But not all. I like a mix, and I think others do too. Useful information and a little entertainment on the side. You confess finding it amusing too! And, then in the same sentence, you say it adds nothing to the site. Which is it? Amusing or a waste of space? You have confused me now.

I find San Miguel a very interesting phenomena, and the people who settle there very interesting, too, in an odd way. The fact that they are so sensitive is fun, too. Perhaps, on occasion, I overdo.

In any event, I regret you are so deep into the cave that a private message to you is impossible. I could explain. You seem a reasonable woman. You would soon be my cohort.

You asked about this last night on the San Miguel side, which is the more appropriate spot for this exchange. I was going to respond to you this morning, but I awoke to find that we had all been discarded. You, too! Swept clean away. The Great White had glided through.

(This post was edited by palomares on May 24, 2005, 4:27 PM)

TigerTonio

May 24, 2005, 2:32 PM

Post #38 of 54 (2942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Show yourselves

You ex-pats are certified nut cases.

-Tony ::I wanna be one, too!::

Don Moore

May 24, 2005, 2:41 PM

Post #39 of 54 (2939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [palomares] Show yourselves

I would enjoy the forum even more than I do if more people would show themselves as Palomares suggests. I get a little spam, so what; I don't like it, so I delete it.
However, it has been my observation over a couple of years on this forum that most of the flame and vitriol comes from some individuals who do show themselves, not from those who hide in the caves.
I respect those of you who want to communicate honestly and respectfully about Mexico whether you are hiding behind anonymity or letting us know who you are.
Don Moore

Gringal

May 24, 2005, 3:15 PM

Post #40 of 54 (2922 views)

Shortcut

"You confess finding it amusing too! And, then in the same sentence, you say it adds nothing to the site. Which is it? Amusing or a waste of space? You have confused me now."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I admit it. Your postings appeal to my dark side. There's a guilty pleasure in watching a good skewering. At the same time it isn't the stated purpose of these forums, in which we're all encouraged to be good scouts, helpful and kind to all we meet. No doubt there are plenty of other venues where the Darth Vaders of cyberspace can enjoy exercising their talents. Go forth to thy dark master in finest fettle and glee.

Yes, I awoke this morning to find myself marooned with you and Bubba on a barren outpost of the disappeared. There, we attempted some friendly swordplay, but the natives emerged from behind the rocks and put us all in the iron comida pot. Sizzle, slurp. Gone.

By this time, we are so far off topic that the tolerance of this forum's moderator is probably strained. So, on point, I will reiterate that my cave is lovely, dark and deep. The anonymity is worth suffering the curiousity. I'm sure that a private reply explanation about how you and the SMA moderator came to this pass would be enlightening, but since I am so comfy here, I'll have to work it out for myself. Hmmm.

bournemouth

May 24, 2005, 3:15 PM

Post #41 of 54 (2921 views)

Shortcut

Trolling, in itself, is unseemly and ungentlemanly and not worthy of the bandwidth of Mexico Connect. Why not set up a board yourself where you can troll to your hearts content and chuckle at the engraged responses from those you have offended. If you are particularly disturbed by the Moderator of the San Miguel Board, then stay away from that board. There is a mean spiritedness in your actions that I find unpleasant. The only positive is that we know who you are.

Gringal

May 24, 2005, 3:35 PM

Post #42 of 54 (2906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] no, thank you

What we post in the profile is not necessarily who we are. The pictures could be of anyone and the background fictitious. Anonymity should be a reasonable option. What we do know is what we learn by reading what the member says and drawing our own conclusions about who he/she "really" is. That usually doesn't take very long.

I agree with you that this is no place to get mean-spirited. Cantankerous, opionated or wrong-headed is o.k. with me as long as it doesn't cross that line. Getting in a beef with a moderator is just plain useless, since he/she has the wipeout in hand. It seems that somewhere between putting one's audience to sleep and trolling to rattle cages for its own sake lies the right balance.

Bear

May 24, 2005, 3:49 PM

Post #43 of 54 (2901 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Show yourselves

Rolly,
I knew there was a reason Mexico has such a successful resident. You were my first contact with Mexico when I was making the move. Mexico won what Rosebud lost. Ill pm you about my relationship with Rosebud, Texas.

pat

May 24, 2005, 4:04 PM

Post #44 of 54 (2890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Show yourselves

"Anyone's free to Google me under "jennifer j rose" if you want the full rose."

Wow, Jennifer!

http://lib.lbcc.edu/rose/rose.html

Marlene

May 24, 2005, 6:14 PM

Post #45 of 54 (2845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] Show yourselves

Our Jennifer J. R. a librarian???? I don't think so!

Miguel Palomares

May 24, 2005, 6:47 PM

Post #46 of 54 (2831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringal] no, thank you

Can't Post |

It isn't the stated purpose of these forums, in which we're all encouraged to be good scouts.

On the contrary, my potential cohort. Read the forum guidelines. Here below is a pertinent quote from there.

Humor, sarcasm are by all means encouraged. Everyone has a different style.

(This post was edited by palomares on May 24, 2005, 6:47 PM)

smokesilver

May 24, 2005, 6:52 PM

Post #47 of 54 (2827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Show yourselves

For what it is worth & to whom it might concern I updated my Profile. I am sure that sometime in the past I had more info than I just discovered was available but maybe I was wrong. At any rate I seldom comment on this forum simply because I generally have nothing to add. However I read the forum almost daily unless I am away from home which is frequent. I do not live in Mexico but in the Akron, Ohio area. I have visited Mexico many times & continue to do so. Eventually I will spend much time there...in about 3 years. I enjoy this forum & have never tried to hide but I do "lurk" quite a bit.

Papirex

May 24, 2005, 11:01 PM

Post #48 of 54 (2782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Show yourselves

Try this one: http://www.abanet.org/genpractice/magazine/oct99editor.html
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

NEOhio

May 25, 2005, 5:42 AM

Post #49 of 54 (2758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Show yourselves

Can't Post |
Last fall just before our first trip to mexico I asked Rolly to help me put a picture on in hopes that people would recognize me and start a conversation. It worked a little bit. But this most recent visit, which lasted almost a month, was really memorable because I was stopped, hailed on the road, walked up to in stores, and chased down at markets - from Joco to Chapala and everywhere in between - by posters and lurkers who recognized me.

It was a lot of fun and I met many interesting folks and had lots of good conversations.

So for me, and my husband, not being anonymous enhanced our experience.

Ed and Fran

May 25, 2005, 6:00 AM

Post #50 of 54 (2746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio] Show yourselves

I was stopped, hailed on the road, walked up to in stores, and chased down at markets - from Joco to Chapala and everywhere in between - by posters and lurkers who recognized me.

We used to have a picture of us instead of the palo de sol trees, but no one ever recognized us or hailed us on the street. After reading about your experience I felt bad for a few seconds until I remembered that there aren't any other MexConnecters within 190 km of us. ;-)

Regards

Ed & Fran
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4