Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

MARIA CUERVA

May 24, 2005, 10:05 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1104 views)

Shortcut

What I love about San Miguel de Allende

Can't Post | Private Reply
1 It is Mexico.
2 The magnificent 18th century colonial architecture.
3 It is a World Heritage site.
4 It is an absolutely wonderful small city.
5 The diversity of the people- all races, cultures,ideas.
6 Everything you could want is there including a perfect climate.
7 Art, Music,Theatre,Dance, anotherwards lots of CREATIVE ENERGY.
8 Diversity equals LIVE AND LET LIVE.
9 You can walk everywhere. Everything is only a few blocks away.
10 It is never boring. Malcontents can't stay with all that beauty and havingness.

(This post was edited by cuerva on May 24, 2005, 12:51 PM)

gpk

May 24, 2005, 12:47 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerva] What I love about San Miguel de Allende

There is very little 16th century architecture in San Miguel--long gone. But the 18th century (and later) architecture is very beautiful.

MARIA CUERVA

May 24, 2005, 12:50 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] What I love about San Miguel de Allende

That would explain the ornate Baroque style. I have actually been around quite a lot of 16th century architecture and while immense and beautiful it is very simple.

Marta R

May 24, 2005, 1:07 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1055 views)

Shortcut

Cuerva, about the walking everywhere: is San Miguel as hilly as it looks in photos? Seems to me that someone with, say, knee problems might find it a bit of a challenge.

Marta

Carol Schmidt

May 24, 2005, 1:18 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1052 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisnmarta] What I love about San Miguel de Allende

San Miguel is built on a hillside. Some streets are really bad, others are flat for a mile.

When you check rental ads notice if they say something like "a flat walk to the Jardin." If you're in the northern half of the city, you'll find it's mostly flat easy walking. On the south side, which is actually the higher side, get up to Atascadero or Balcones, two of the richest areas, or the luxury homes south of Park Juarez, and you're likely to hit steep streets. If an ad says, "Great view," that tells you you'll be up a hill.

The hills aren't the only problem for walkers, the cobblestones and irregular sidewalks make it hard to walk. People call SMA, "The city of fallen women." Wear comfortable shoes and watch where you walk always. I twisted my knee the first day I arrived; many do.

But the more you walk, and walking is actually great fun here, the easier you will be able to walk and the healthier you'll be. In Phoenix I barely walked from home to car to store in 100+ heat six months of the year, but in SMA I walk at least 2 and as much as 7 miles a day with no problems any more.

Carol Schmidt

Gringal

May 24, 2005, 1:20 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1049 views)

Shortcut

I have to agree that the post was a bit optimistic on the "walking everywhere". It is hilly; the cobblestones and holes are deadly foot-traps and and if the knees or feet aren't up to snuff, it would be a toughie. However, I arrived in the lame category (foot, not knees) and now, almost a year later, I'm hiking along for blocks. Warning to all who would come here: Don't "walk and gawk" or you'll joing the fallen women. For those who need them - taxis and busses are everywhere.

Note: It isn't just the Balcones and Atascadero hills that get steep: Out here in humbler San Rafael and Santa Julia we have some great views, and you know what that means!

(This post was edited by gringal on May 24, 2005, 1:27 PM)

MARIA CUERVA

May 24, 2005, 1:33 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1041 views)

Shortcut

Marta,I walk with a stick to give me impetus, momentum,will,and authority. I walk everywhere because I love to and because the city is set up that way. It is very centralized. It would probably help to be grounded but if you are not at least you won't fall into the Grand Canyon like so many do in Arizona.I have never fallen on the cobblestone streets but then I have never fallen into the Taos Gorge either. If you have knee problems, and don't most of us-it was all the dancing I'm sure- it will not be a challenge to walk everywhere. Unless you're in a wheelchair...but then you wouldn't be walking, would you? I promise you, you will love it.

(This post was edited by cuerva on May 24, 2005, 1:36 PM)

Cynthia7

May 24, 2005, 2:55 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1017 views)

Shortcut

What I love about San Miguel is the incredible, interesting, wonderful people that this area draws. The Indians have come to this area for hundreds of years for healing and now all of these gringas and gringos are coming. There is a saying that if you can stay 10 days you will have to come back. In the past we have drawn many uniquely individual folk and they have often returned to their homes more healthy and healed and whole than when they first came. Many people just walk around town saying -I feel so good; isn't it beautiful here; how could it get any better. I,also, love all of the different lectures, tours, charitable endeavors.etc. but the best things are the people. The kind and lovely Mexicans - who are so tolerant and accepting of these strange humans who move here and act strangely.are simply wonderful. The climate is one of the best in the world. My dream is that all of the expansion and tourism will provide a better life for the Mexicans who are native to this area and also, be a good place for the new inhabitants to be. May we live in peace and love for all time in this corner of paradise.

MARIA CUERVA

May 24, 2005, 3:03 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] What I love about San Miguel de Allende

That's very nice.That is an important bit of information.
MAKE IT SO.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4