Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Alison Cunningham

May 21, 2005, 11:36 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1031 views)

Shortcut

Living in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Carol,
Thanks for the search instructions. Appreciate it.
I will be visiting Mazatlan this October, but in regard to acceptance of Mexico, the customs and the people, we'll find it easy to adjust, as I have lived in various parts of the world during my lifetime, countries such as India, Arab countries, Japan, Germany, Australia, Greece, Russia and a few others. The customs of the Mexicans are very similar to Indian customs, as much as I have been reading on the topic.
Also, when one cannot live in the country that they love because they cannot make it financially, one has to think of alternatives in order to retire and live gracefully with minor worries of finances. If we stayed here, now that we're 65, we'd never make it. We can't afford the high cost of insurance, high priced medication and other medical expenses. On our combined retirement benefits, we should be able to live comfortably in Mazatlan. We are not one of those fortunate people who have big bank balances or huge pension checks every month.
I had shoulder surgery 9 months ago and one month later, neck surgery and my husband had surgery also. Then we had to have our teeth fixed and our whopping deductables added up to $11,000.00. We had to re-finance our home in order to pay off our medical bills. I'm a registered nurses assistant and I sure don't want to work until I'm 75 and that is exactly what I would have to do in order to live here.
So, we have no choice, we have to find an alternative. Mexico is only a hop skip and a jump away from 'Home' and we can always visit family or they can visit us. Besides, there are a few Americans and other foreigners around.
If we won the lottery, then of couse we wouldn't have to move and could buy a summer mansion in Mexico. But who banks on winning the Lottery, huh?
I'm sure that Ed and I will adjust very well, and if things don't work out, which I'm sure they will, we can always return home. Besides, I'm a published fiction author and maybe I'll find the time to write my second novel.
Thank you for your advice which was very good and I appreciate it.
Regards,
Alison

MARIA CUERVA

May 22, 2005, 9:14 AM

Post #2 of 7 (981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Alison Cunningham] Living in Mexico

Darling, your story is so tragic. COME...
Sell everything and start new.
You'll see. Everything will become possible instead of impossible.

Gringal

May 22, 2005, 12:30 PM

Post #3 of 7 (951 views)

Shortcut

Your story about the financial difficulty of trying to make it in the states is becoming all too common. It is tragic that hard working people should even have to consider leaving their home and moving to another country for financial reasons when they reach retirement.

My husband and I moved here for many reasons only last year, so the experience of gains and losses is very fresh in my mind. I agree with those you said you should bring as little as possible. Moving companies' rates have gone up along with the cost of fuel. Rolly's post was very helpful to us.

One of the most important considerations is that of weather. The sunny coast of Mexico might sound wonderful, but if you're used to living in Washington State, hot and humid weather could be too much of a change. Mexico has many climate zones; one is sure to suit you. We concluded that either San Miguel de Allende or the Lake Chapala area would work best for us in that regard. Friends of ours choose the beach and are just as content there. Since retirement is a time when you can choose the ways to spend your days, it's good to check out what's available in each area in terms of your personal interests.

It sounds like you have a good attitude toward your impending changes, so you and your husband will probably enjoy some of the best years of your lives here. Welcome, and good luck!

Marlene

May 22, 2005, 12:40 PM

Post #4 of 7 (943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringal] Living in Mexico

You make several great points in your post. A very important one I want to single out is the weather. Large numbers of our expat population pack up and head for cooler climes in the summer (5 months of HOT sauna weather here). If this type of weather disables you, and believe me it does that to many people, you must be prepared to have a budget to travel elsewhere for this time period. Travel expenses can be fairly hefty.

manda405

May 22, 2005, 2:57 PM

Post #5 of 7 (915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Living in Mexico

Being young and adaptable, I live happily in La Mira, Mich which has a hot humid climate all year. The only "seasons" here are "rainy" and "dry". I am from Washington (Tri-Cities in the Columbia River Gorge) and the humidity is what got me at first. I found it harder to breathe and didn't like being sticky all the time. My mom and dad came down to visit me during August one year and my mom's arthritis didn't bother her at all the whole time she was here. Also, despite how much I sweat, my skin has never been clearer.
The advice about finding a climate that suits you year-round is very good. There are many wonderful places that have a nice, temperate climate all year. One that I enjoy is Uruapan (spelling??) just south of Morelia, Mich. It is fair sized and elevated just enough so that on a clear April night you can sit outside and enjoy the fresh mountain air with just a light blanket on you. It is also only about 6 hours (less as soon as the toll-road is finished) from the beach if you get the urge to take a long weekend.

What happens down in Mexico...Stays in Mexico.

MG Rabon

May 23, 2005, 8:47 AM

Post #6 of 7 (848 views)

Shortcut

Alison, Dental work is one of the things you should have waited to do in Mexico. Prices for dental work average about 13% of that in the US.

We love our beach house in Acapulco but even coming from Florida we find the humidity and heat to be unbearable between mid-April and October, the winters however, are heavenly. Keep in mind that AC may uncommon in homes where you are going, most homes aren't insulated, and many homes don't even have enough electrical service to even think about installing an AC.

Arthritis better in high humidity? Not mine, in the winter in ACA when the humidity is under 40% I feel better than I have in decades, I don't even need a cane. However when the humidity gets over 50%, or I have to return to Florida where the humidity is never under 50%, I'm back to being crippled again. I guess everyone is different, I've heard of people moving from cold climates to a warm ones for their arthritis, but I can't say I've ever heard of someone moving from a dry one to a humid one for their arthritis.

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

Gringal

May 23, 2005, 11:19 AM

Post #7 of 7 (818 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Living in Mexico

You are so right. Travel; having a second place to live in the hotter months - all this chomps heavily on the pocketbook, and from the original post, it sounded like staying within a budget was one of their greatest considerations in moving to Mexico in the first place. I'd enjoy having a home at the beach and another in the cooler mountains, but that's not an option at this point. Air conditioning, even when available, is expensive. Before getting serious about moving, we spent many hours at the library and on the net in order to avoid falling in love with a place where we couldn't handle the climate year round. This saved us a bundle in travel expense. Now we know when to head for the beach on holiday.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4