Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Bubba

May 18, 2005, 2:00 PM

Post #1 of 18 (2526 views)

Shortcut

Is There Still a San Miguel?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Somebody must override that San Miguel "pipe organ" Thingee. Please. There must be more going on there than the insipid sound of pipe organs. Bubba prefers the forgettable sounds of rainbirds. Too much in-breeding in San Miguel , I think.

bournemouth

May 18, 2005, 2:52 PM

Post #2 of 18 (2506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Is There Still a San Miguel?

Well Bubba - based on the string of peevish posts you left all over the fora today, you must really be in a bad mood. It's probably time to go back to bed and not get up again until you're in a better frame of mind. Take two asprins and don't write us again until the morning.

MARIA CUERVA

May 18, 2005, 3:33 PM

Post #3 of 18 (2493 views)

Shortcut

Well actually I've been hoping that people have lives out there and are out doing them. And anyway it's hot! So it's either laying low or opting for the cool ocean breezes. Ciao.

Papirex

May 18, 2005, 3:41 PM

Post #4 of 18 (2491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Is There Still a San Miguel?

The problem is that there is simply nothing going on in Ajijic right now. All the exiting things, like lirio, mosquitoes, and bobos are in recession right now :-)

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Carol Schmidt

May 18, 2005, 3:59 PM

Post #5 of 18 (2485 views)

Shortcut

Take your librium, Bubba, and go bother some other forum. We're doing fine. I'm off to see "Sideways" at the Villa Jacaranda tonight and wrote all day, and Norma is sewing us more shorts because it's at least 90 lately.

We had U.S. style nachos piled high on the plate with a dozen ingredients for dinner. Our dog is recovering well from bladder stone surgery and the feral cats are calling for dinner. My 83-year-old aunt in Austin is sick and I'm waiting for news.

The feast of Santa Cruz is coming up and I can see some arrangements happening all ready. The chickens in our courtyard had another batch of 13 baby chicks, and the teenagers look confused to be booted out of first place. The guys at the car wash near us are outdoing each other in how red they can die their hair. One of them has a new boom box.

There's a sale on v-necked women's short-sleeved jerseys at the store down the street, two for 80 pesos, so we'll be stocking up tomorrow. We have a new kind of black and red butterfly in the garden. That's what's happening here. In other words, it's still paradise.

So instead of telling us we need to entertain you, why not post something about your life?

Carol Schmidt

bournemouth

May 18, 2005, 6:29 PM

Post #6 of 18 (2456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Is There Still a San Miguel?

Carol - it might be that the fora ARE Bubba's life - what a thought!

Gringal

May 19, 2005, 10:02 AM

Post #7 of 18 (2405 views)

Shortcut

It's May, it's hot and itchy and if you're in a foul mood, it's understandable.
If you want to get some talk-action going, we could start another rant about shorts in public. There's plenty of them out there in this weather, and it's a topic that requires no expertise for voicing an emphatic opinion. For subjects requiring some knowledge of current affairs, the soil is rich. We could talk about the fight in the US Senate over judgship appointments. Religion? What about the direction the Old Church has been taking lately? What about the right wingers? The left wingers? Single-payer health insurance? How about sex? We have some outrageous action going on around our birdbath among the local doves.

Back to the rainbirds, the cat litter and the pipe organs. I find these forums most useful when people are sharing their information on some very mundane topics, like where to buy things, where to stay, which roads to avoid and how to cope with the rules and regs. It would be better if people didn't hop in with serious misinformation to trip the unwary, but usually they're balanced by someone who knows whereof he/she speaks. Now, come up with a hot topic for us, please.

(This post was edited by gringal on May 19, 2005, 10:07 AM)

Carol Schmidt

May 19, 2005, 10:39 AM

Post #8 of 18 (2390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringal] Is There Still a San Miguel?

Let's not discuss U.S. politics, which can only inflame and split us--plenty of forums for that.

As for shorts, we've jumped back into wearing them in hot weather, and a male Mexican friend about 50 said to go right ahead, wear whatever we want, most Mexican people are very flexible and open, and those who aren't won't accept us no matter what we do.

He said Mexican people overall value freedom and want more of it, with less restrictions and suffocation. Many Mexicans, men and women, wear shorts now and more will as more do, and gringos in shorts is a good thing, he says, to loosen up the rigid ones even more.

So in my usual spirit of accepting advice I agree with and ignoring that I don't, I'm back in shorts. Besides, it's 90, and I have a long walk to a book club meeting today in the heat of day.

Carol Schmidt

Gringal

May 19, 2005, 11:26 AM

Post #9 of 18 (2381 views)

Shortcut

Shorts - just trying to get things going a little. If you like 'em, wear 'em. if there were a dress code on the streets of this town, the tourist trade would collapse. Politics and religion- I agree we don't need inflamed rhetoric, and my statement was intended to be facetious. Most rational people don't enjoy that kind of opinionated discourse since it achieves nothing but elevated blood pressure. The suggestion that I finished with; that we continue talking about things useful to the general audience, was a serious statement. Now, to take issue on a really important topic of local interest: It hasn't hit 90 yet in the weather report we get. Maybe next week. Where's a good fogbank when you need it?

Bubba

May 19, 2005, 1:59 PM

Post #10 of 18 (2368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Is There Still a San Miguel?

OK, Bournemouth. You guys like to make fun of me but, whatever else you may say I helped to move this forum from pipe organs to Gringos wearing shorts. Maybe I should have left well enough alone. Pipe organs are more pleasant to contemplate.

It is true that there is absolutely nothing going on in Ajijic at present but it seems to me that that is a normal situation.

Bournemouth is right. My dreary life is the forum. I never realized this but when I was outed I became despondent and, when I walked my mutts down to the Lake Chapala beach this afternoon I had an overwhelming desire to do myself in. I said goodbye to my babies and proceeded to walk out into the lake to drown myself. Unfortunately, an hour later I was still only in knee deep water and, since it was the cocktail hour, I decided to go ashore and think it over. I have now recovered although my tennis shoes have melted from some sort of chemical reaction so I have decided to set up a self-help group for Forum addicts which I plan to call Forum Addicts Requiring Treatment. I am working on a 12 step program but so far have only come up with one. Tell me what you think:

One must recognize the existence of a higher authority as one cannot overcome this addiction by one's self. One needs the help of CFE which, alone, has the power to shut off one's electricity and remove the source of the haunting addiction.

Praise The Lord, Brother.

(This post was edited by Bubba on May 19, 2005, 3:42 PM)

Rolly

May 19, 2005, 3:03 PM

Post #11 of 18 (2351 views)

Shortcut

Maybe the title for your much needed self-help group is too general. I propose a more restrictive (and exclusive) club:

Only Long Discoursing Forum Addicts Requiring Treatment Society

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

May 19, 2005, 3:44 PM

Post #12 of 18 (2336 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Is There Still a San Miguel?

I like Bubba's original title. No age discrimination.

Carol Schmidt

May 19, 2005, 4:48 PM

Post #13 of 18 (2325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringal] Is There Still a San Miguel?

Okay, how about

Only
Long
Discoursing
/
Yelping
Outrageous
Understated
Nagging
Goofball

Forum
Addicts
Requiring
Treatment
Society

bdlngton

May 19, 2005, 9:33 PM

Post #14 of 18 (2279 views)

Shortcut

I think that since Bubba is the founding member of FART that makes him the official Old FART.
Susy

Gringal

May 20, 2005, 7:29 AM

Post #15 of 18 (2248 views)

Shortcut

That'll do. Now, if there's going to be a club, that means rules.
Rule number one: Don't light a match at meetings.

Bubba

May 20, 2005, 11:14 AM

Post #16 of 18 (2224 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdlngton] Is There Still a San Miguel?

Thank you so much Susy:

An official Old FART. I am deeply touched. Many would doubtless say that my emissions from that end are more thoughtful than those from the top.

MARIA CUERVA

May 20, 2005, 12:14 PM

Post #17 of 18 (2210 views)

Shortcut

Will you tell us about the upcoming celebrations for the feast of Santa Cruz? I do love your discourses on the pageantry of San Miguel! I am like a child with the pleasure of it.

(This post was edited by cuerva on May 20, 2005, 12:35 PM)

Ed and Fran

May 20, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #18 of 18 (2156 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerva] Is There Still a San Miguel?

Is this a different feast of the Santa Cruz than the one celebrated in most of Mexico on May 3rd? The one where everyone places small wooden crosses, decorated with flowers, in fron t of their houses. Sort of carpenters/masons day, but generally taken to be a general building trades day in many parts.

Regards

Ed

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4