Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mitchp41

May 18, 2005, 12:57 PM

Post #1 of 13 (6764 views)

Shortcut

autopista tolls

Can't Post | Private Reply
can anyone tell me the price of tolls between larado and chapala?Thank you very much,mitch

esperanza

May 18, 2005, 1:33 PM

Post #2 of 13 (6748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mitchp41] autopista tolls

Give or take a few, it will cost you around 1100 pesos...about $100 USD. You will need to pay in pesos, so change plenty of money. The toll booths don't take credit cards or dollars.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

May 18, 2005, 2:17 PM

Post #3 of 13 (6737 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mitchp41] autopista tolls

Mitch:

If you are worried about the cost of toll roads do not come here. What is it about Mexico that attracts people who would even ask this question? You belong in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Don't muddy our waters.

rickc

May 18, 2005, 2:36 PM

Post #4 of 13 (6729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] autopista tolls

In Reply To
Mitch:

If you are worried about the cost of toll roads do not come here. What is it about Mexico that attracts people who would even ask this question? You belong in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Don't muddy our waters.

Bubba, that seemed a bit unfair, and not on a par with your usual helpful responses. He didn't say he was worried about the cost; he was merely asking how much. It would be handy to know how much U.S. Dollars needed to be changed to pesos in order to assure that you had enough available for toll stations, gas/oil, food and incidentals on the way down. I'm sure others were curious about that also.

Rich Chambers
Navigating the Sea of Life..

abq

May 18, 2005, 3:02 PM

Post #5 of 13 (6721 views)

Shortcut

One of the big reasons I take the Eagle Pass route into Mxico instead of going in through Juarez is because I save around $100US in tolls.

zoeq1000

May 18, 2005, 4:48 PM

Post #6 of 13 (6703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] autopista tolls

Hi, I just took the road from Eagle Pass through Saltillo and then to Queretaro and it was about $15. I drove from LA because I wanted drive only in the day in Mexico. Why pay $100 if you don't have to? Also, it was easy to get through customs.

A little story for you...At customs, we asked for 6 months and the man immediately told me he would only give it for 3 months. I just looked at him and he kept talking - something about the U.S. customs are causing this problem. Then he said he needed some water to make coffee. I said, "Sure" and handed him what I had which was $3. He was happy with that and gave us a 6 month FMT. I conclude that simply being genial and liking the people you meet along the way makes for the smoothest relations. Good luck on your trip. And, Bubba, stop being rude! Zoe

Gwynne

May 18, 2005, 5:50 PM

Post #7 of 13 (6683 views)

Shortcut

Tell you what, Bubba.....
Why don't you make up a financial statement for everyone who contemplates moving to Mexico to fill out and submit to you. It could also list any disgusting money-saving habits people have. That way no one would offend you by not having the proper financial "rank" and habits necessary to co-exist in your vicinity.
I clip coupons, look for cheap gas, and make an effort to not pay late fees and unneeded tolls. Guess I may not fit in at Lakeside after all. At least not your end of it.

johnv

May 18, 2005, 6:00 PM

Post #8 of 13 (6678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] autopista tolls

I sure am glad that I don't cross at Laredo, or drive to Chapala, as MX$1100 is outrageous. I cross at Brownsville and drive to Guanajuato and the tolls run MX$39. The distance is about the same, with Laredo\Chapala being slightly further.

Ed and Fran

May 18, 2005, 7:40 PM

Post #9 of 13 (6656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] autopista tolls

I cross at Brownsville and drive to Guanajuato and the tolls run MX$39.

I'll go you one better. We cross at Brownsville and get to Tuxpan on $28 m.n. in tolls!!! Of course we have a secret. The secret is that the only stretch of what could be called autopista along that entire route is one section of about 5km just after crossing the toll bridge in Tampico. Every new government in Veracruz talks about the new autopista through the northern part of the state. We're not holding our breath.

Not that I actually need autopistas. I'm perfectly happy with secondary roads. But I'd prefer that they at least have decent paving instead of being the p.o.s. that they call the coast highway #180 between here and Ozuluama.

Sorry, got carried away there. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. ;-)

Regards

E&F

1ajijic

May 19, 2005, 6:48 AM

Post #10 of 13 (6609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] autopista tolls

While we are bi...complaining about the cost of the autopistas, remember to keep your toll receipts as they also represent that your car and you are INSURED while on the AP. Also the last time I was in the Fiesta Hotel in Montclova, they would reimburse you for your toll if you presented the receipt. I don't know if others do the same or even if they still do, but, it's worth asking.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

alex .

May 19, 2005, 3:55 PM

Post #11 of 13 (6543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mitchp41] here's all of 'em

http://portal.sct.gob.mx/...mp;_pageLabel=B20039

Bubba

Jan 31, 2006, 6:12 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6431 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rickc] autopista tolls

You're right. That was unfair.

Bubba

Jan 31, 2006, 7:13 AM

Post #13 of 13 (6410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] autopista tolls

I believe the notion presented by 1Ajijic is misleading. If I am not mistaken, you are insured on the toll roads for any damage to your vehicle caused by a defect in the toll road itself while you were driving thereupon. I would love to be the extranjero trying to prove my accident was caused by the autopista owned by powerful Mexican entrpreneurs tied to influential pols.

I drove between Cancun and Merida on the expensive toll road and saw about three cars during the entire 200 kilometer plus drive. A local investment firm once talked me into buying revenue bonds yielding 13% with payment tied to cash flow generated by that highway. I must have been smoking something really good that day.

I should point out that the Cancun-Merida toll road is not the norm. Usually, toll roads make a lot of sense. However, as The Yucatan is as flat as Twiggy's chest and highly underpopulated, the free road that is adjacent to the expensive toll road is a far more practical alternative. For that reason, beware of the state's signage which has, as its goal, the getting of you onto that toll road.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 31, 2006, 7:37 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4