Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Ivester

May 7, 2005, 7:33 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2406 views)

Shortcut

Hotel recommendations in Guanajuato and Queretaro

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are planning a 10-day vacation in Guanajuato and possibly Queretaro for the second half of June, with the thought of future retirement (about 3 years from now) in mind. We're a little flummoxed by the variety of hotels and B&Bs available, especially in Guanajuato. Would someone recommend hotels or B&Bs or even rental condos in these cities that around or maybe under US$100 per night and near local attractions?

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies to my last posting. Once again, I'd be happy to hear from anyone either within the forum or by email.

Bear

May 7, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #2 of 14 (2393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ivester] Hotel recommendations in Guanajuato and Queretaro

There is a Canadian Lady that runs a 4 bedroom
Guest house in Centro Queretaro (2 blocks from Zocalo) for 250 pesos per night (about $25.00 US).
There is secure parking next door. Ive stayed there several times. Very good value. Her e-mail is thetruenortherner@yahoo.com. Location cannot be any better for seeing Queretaro.

jennifer rose

May 7, 2005, 8:48 AM

Post #3 of 14 (2393 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
At http://www.guanajuatocapital.com/ingles.html is a not-comprehensive listing of Guanajuato accomodations. But you've probably already looked there.

Do you want to be in Centro, or off in Valenciana, Marfil, La Presa, or at the entrance to town? Will you have your own wheels? Taxis in Guanajuato are inexpensive and abundant. My picks are Quinta Las Acacias, Castillo Santa Cecilia, Mision Guanajuato, and the Holiday Inn.

Ivester

May 7, 2005, 4:19 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Hotel recommendations in Guanajuato and Queretaro

We won't be driving, so parking isn't an issue. Does anyone have any experience with el Meson de los Poetas in Guanajuato? It looks close in and very pretty from what I can tell on the web.

Bubba

May 8, 2005, 11:20 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2328 views)

Shortcut

In Queretaro, if you are inclined to stay in a very modern, business oriented hotel for from $700 to $1,000 Pesos a night, try The Mirage which is a $20 Peso, three minute cab ride to the historic center. We stayed there one weekend when the city was packed with weekenders from DF and we couldn't find a place in centro. Now we make it a point to stay there when we go to Queretaro.

Queretaro has a beautiful and often festive historic district with a number of restaurants. It's at a pretty high altitude so might be a bit chilly. It is also imperative that you speak Spanish if you plan to live there. The prosperous but conservative business oriented city of Queretaro tends to wear thin rather quickly after a couple of days. Guanajuato might prove more interesting as a place to live. Don't take my word for that, however - that's just one person's opinion.

(This post was edited by Bubba on May 8, 2005, 11:24 AM)

jennifer rose

May 8, 2005, 6:32 PM

Post #6 of 14 (2301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Hotel recommendations in Guanajuato and Queretaro

Can't Post |
Bubba typeth:

The prosperous but conservative business oriented city of Queretaro tends to wear thin rather quickly after a couple of days. Guanajuato might prove more interesting as a place to live. Don't take my word for that, however - that's just one person's opinion.

And that's the appeal of Queretaro as a place to live for me!

Another good hotel pick, off in a subdivision on the north side, is the relaxing Hotel Hacienda Jurica, which offers some very good promotional rates. http://www.hoteljurica.com.mx/

Papirex

May 8, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2293 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Hotel recommendations in Guanajuato and Queretaro

I will second, third and fourth Jennifer’s recommendation for the Hotel Hacienda Jurica in Queretero. We stayed there for a couple of days 6 or 8 years ago. (I don’t remember which trip it was.) It was in February, and it was still a little cool in the evenings. The rooms were average nice, and comfortable, spacious, and they had big ol’ ugly portable electric radiators that actually heated the rooms very well.

Being an ex-Hacienda, the buildings and grounds were beautiful, and spacious. At that time, they offered horseback riding, tennis, etc. The dining room was in a part of the building that had been a stable at one time. It was very rustic, and very well done. The Chef they had at that time was excellent, and the waiters were at your side before you knew you needed them. It was the kind of service that I know I deserve.

I don’t recall the room rates then, it was the best part of a Hundred US Bucks though, and worth every Penney of it. Oddly enough we had the best meals there on a very long driving trip from Alaska to Mexico City, and we were surprised that they were also the cheapest, in a five star style restaurant. That was then, this is now, who knows what their prices are like today? The food there was worth any price though.

The Hotel Hacienda Jurica is also fairly close to Valle De Bravo, a beautiful area.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

paulette & Chuck

May 29, 2005, 2:46 PM

Post #8 of 14 (2208 views)

Shortcut

I have stayed in the hotel las embaradores ( sp) twice in GTO. city. It's off the beaten path, quiet, and has a restaurant and parking. It's is an easy walk to town and to La Presa. A few years back about $50.00 US per night.

In Reply To

Cynthia7

May 29, 2005, 6:47 PM

Post #9 of 14 (2184 views)

Shortcut

Re: [paulette] Hotel recommendations in Guanajuato and Queretaro

Las Embaradores has wonderful mole. They even have it packed so you can take the sauce home.

julian3345

Jun 8, 2005, 6:40 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2067 views)

Shortcut

Just returned from a visit to Querétero where I stayed at Shellie's little B&B on 16 Septiembre in the historic center. Her place is very clean and quiet... all high count COTTON sheets and towels. In one direction within a block or two you will find small restaurants and shops ...and the Plaza de la Independencia which links by callejones to several other well kept plazas. In the other direction just two blocks away is the Mercado and a terminus for many city busses and taxis. Shellie serves a very generous breakfast and fabulous coffee! Joan

garrycouch

Jun 20, 2005, 10:57 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2004 views)

Shortcut

Hi, We live in Guanajuato and have a couple of recommendations. If you're without
wheels, taxis and buses are cheap... walking is interesting, too. Hotel Las Embajadoras,
Hotel Los Cobos, Hotel Abadia (check prices.. they vary), Mision del Rosario (near the
heart of town, can sometimes be alittle noisey), Hotel Paseo de la Presa (overlooks
city on the Panoramica (haven't checked prices lately), Quinta Las Acacias, Meson
de las Poetas is nice (check current prices). A couple on the close outskirts with
nice views are Hotel Guanajuato and Villa de la Plata. There are many hotels here,
most of which have websites and emails. Others could well fit your bill but I know
some about the above.
I would suggest that you avoid those around the Jardin in the center near the
Teatro Juarez... they are nice, usually expensive, loud, and the food is so-so at best.
B&B's are fairly high here, we have a friend who has B&B (more like good room and
board) who usually houses foreign students of all ages (she is frequently booked
but very worthwile to try, plus speaks English)-- Graciela Villasenor at 473-731-0183.

There are good restaurants in the centro area .. try Casa Valdez, Truco 7, El Gallo
Pitagorico, Also Campo Viejo in Marfil, Pulpo Loco (seafood just outside of Marfil), La
Esperanza (in Valenciana), Los Agaves, Casa del Conde de la Valenciana (top notch
in Valenciana across from the cathedral), Refugio Casa Colorado overlooking the city,
and we even have a Brazilian restaurant which is outstanding but very expensive
across from our castle/hotel. Enjoy...

Northerner

Jun 20, 2005, 3:08 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1989 views)

Shortcut

Hi Ivester, Shelley Whittall here.
It's so nice to have so many lovely people recommend my little B&B, called "HOME". I'm so glad everyone has enjoyed themselves.
Santiago de Queretaro is a very clean,cultured, sophisticated and activity-filled city. The recent heatwave has broken and we are experiencing lovely 83 degree weather. Thankfully, our cool breezes in the evenings have returned.
My guesthouse is on 16 de septiembre, in the heart of the Historic Center of Queretaro. I offer comfortable rooms with fresh linens, hotwater, cable and as mentioned a full breakfast. It's 250pesos a night, 50p for the 2nd person. Lounge in the living/dining room or relax on the large wraparound terrace to take in a great view of the city and distant mountains. Just make yourself at "HOME".
If you would like further information about my guesthouse,would like to make a reservation or just need me to help you find a more expensive luxury hotel (there's one right across the street), call me (442) 183 9139 or write to thetruenortherner@yahoo.com or simply reply.
Shelley

jacpowell

Jun 22, 2005, 5:18 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1938 views)

Shortcut

This may be too late to be of help, but we stayed at the Hotel Hidalgo in Queretaro in February and it was very nice. Can't remember the address, but it's off the main Plaza about half a block. And there are back rooms away from the street and the courtyard that are quiet. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel.

I second the advice not to stay near Teatro, etc., in Guanajuato -- many, many bells, roosters crowing, concerts, etc. Lovely views, but....

Queretaro is a nice place to kick back after some heavy duty touring. We spend several days there after a week in Mexico, and the contrast was perfect. We never left the Colonial center, so we really don't know the city. But we liked what we saw.

Jackie Powell

Ivester

Jun 23, 2005, 5:48 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jacpowell] Hotel recommendations in Guanajuato and Queretaro

(Note that the single qt/apostrophe key on this keyboard doesnt work.)

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. Im posting this reply from a little internet cafe just down the block from our hotel, Meson de los Poetas. This was recommended in a private reply, and its great. Our room is large, with king bed, private bath, patio, and great views (especially from the shower!). Theres some noise from surrounding areas at night, but we dont really mind. The hotel is just a couple doors down from the Diego Rivera house, which was the first museum we visited. Weve now hit most of the museums, and none was disappointing. Theres been so much to do here that weve barely left the city. We visited San Miguel de Allende and did some sightseeing and shopping, but mostly weve been hanging around the various jardins and museums and sampling the restaurants. Weather was unusually hot the first few days but is now perfect, around 80-85, with cool breezes.

One thing we discovered on our own: Plaza de la Reforma (I think thats the name), just off Av. Juarez about two blocks from our hotel. Very relaxing, great place to smoke a Cubano (dont report me to Pres. Arbusto!), sip a cerveza, and read a book.

Probably our trip to Valenciana today was our favorite. The mine wasnt all that interesting, but the church there is beautiful, views of the city amazing, and the Casa de Conde restaurant delightful.

I think well be coming back!

(This post was edited by Ivester on Jun 23, 2005, 5:50 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4