Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

M.J.

May 6, 2005, 3:44 PM

Post #1 of 27 (2899 views)

Shortcut

moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Can't Post |
Seems to me Rolly suggested some time back that a menaje isn't worth the time and money unless you have a lot of stuff, which I don't. I have 350 cubic feet -- some furniture, clothes, kitchenware, tools, some inexpensive computer gear and a lot of books -- stored in Tucson. I'd like to just go ahead and contract with a mover and ship it ASAP (lease on my SMA place starts June 1), and pay the duty. Then I'd get my FM3 in SMA and be done with it.

Whadya think? How much would I pay in duty?

jennifer rose

May 6, 2005, 5:54 PM

Post #2 of 27 (2867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Merrill] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Can't Post |
Duty isn't assessed by the square foot. Consider what may be brought in duty-free under a tourist card, and deduct that, along with $50 USD per passenger in your vehicle, from the fair market value of what you're bringing in. That is the amount which will be subject to duty. Search prior discussions (one had the keyword "loot") in it for more.

M.J.

May 7, 2005, 9:33 AM

Post #3 of 27 (2819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Can't Post |
Thanks for that, Jennifer Rose, but my question was more to comparing the hassle and time and money required for getting a menaje (which requires getting a FM3 first) to simply shipping my stuff here & paying the duty after it arrives.

Anyone out there who has done this? Like I said, I don't have that much -- half a small U-Haul truck full and nothing very high quality. ((I'll bring the diamonds and gold bars and Microsoft stock in my backpack,)

I had a look at the "loot" postings. They deal with border crossings. I'll be shipping my stuff from Tucson to SMA and coming down separately, without a car.

Rolly

May 7, 2005, 10:47 AM

Post #4 of 27 (2803 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
When I made the suggestion that a menaje might not be worth the cost when moving only a few things, I was taking about what you could move in your car or with a small trailor. In her answer, Jennifer was also assuming you would be driving. But that is not your plan, and that changes the picture a lot.

When you bring things personally, the customs rules are different than if it is a separate shipment. In a separate shipment, you can expect to be charged for everything, even things that would be free if you brought them personally. Strangely, used clothes can come into the country with you, but they cannot shipped into the country, so bring all your clothes with you.

I think you may want to rethink the menaje question, in your case it might be cheaper to get the menaje.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 7, 2005, 10:48 AM)

Carol Schmidt

May 7, 2005, 11:04 AM

Post #5 of 27 (2797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

We got our FM3s and menaje de casas in Phoenix in 2002 and it wasn't as much trouble as I expected. We had all the right documents from reading Mexconnect and just went to the Mexican consulate in the morning, waited in line about an hour, and picked them up late that afternoon after lunch and window shopping. (Remember to register your FM3 at immigration promptly once you arrive in SMA and you'll have to do practically the whole process all over again, but that's how it goes.)

We struggled with the Spanish translations a bit in preparing our menaje (what the heck do you call a sewing ham, which is a kind of large pincushion?) but followed Rolly's example exactly and had no trouble. We took only what fit into our small SUV, with a cat litter box and cat carrier taking up a lot of the space.

The fact we knew what was in each box helped greatly when we unpacked as well--usually we're the type who pack by throwing things in hither and yon and it takes weeks to find everything when we unpack, but this move was a breeze. When you're talking about having a truck half full, I think going the FM3 and menaje route would be cheaper as well.

And remember duty on anything electronic can be high--we had two desktop computers and accessories plus two computerized sewing machines, and that alone made us decide on using the menaje.

The used clothing duty is extremely high. My aunt sent me a dressy suit I knew wouldn't fit and wouldn't be my style (she's short and 82) but she insisted I have it. When it arrived the duty was goiing to be something like $35 US, so I refused it, and still had to pay $15 to have it shipped back to her. She hasn't forgiven me yet.

Carol Schmidt

jennifer rose

May 7, 2005, 11:14 AM

Post #6 of 27 (2792 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Mail the books to yourself, using surface mail and the USPS "M" bag rate. There will be no duty assessed on the books.

Since you're coming down without a car, I'm going to risk assuming you are flying. Tourists arriving by air may bring in additional items up to $300 USD in value. Check the website of the airline you're flying and determine its baggage allowance and charge for excess baggage. Continental, for instance, allows two checked bags weighing 70 lbs. each for economy class passengers. Verify if your airline has other restrictions such as an excess baggage embargo or will refuse boxes on certain aircraft. Buy a plane ticket for someone else, using that person to courier your goods. Repeat until you've moved all your world effects.

OTOH, it might be just a whole lot easier to get your FM-3 and the menaje de casa.

NickP

May 7, 2005, 11:44 AM

Post #7 of 27 (2789 views)

Shortcut

Your stacking the deck against yourself by thinking you can enter Mexico with what you have listed.
No one on an FM-T that I know of has ever entered Mexico with furniture and tools before.

I moved my belongings over a course of 2 years. The first time I moved my goods into Mexico, I had my manaje, the cost was $139cdn. On that move it was all my electronics and big ticket items. Got green lights.

2nd time was the "good dishes", some tools, our daughters toys and anything else that would fit in a Plymouth Grand Voyager with a roof carrier.
We got a red light and I provided my FM-3 and was allowed entry without any problems.

3rd time was with an old converted Dodge 150 full size shuttle bus van. This puppy was LOADED, with everything from a brand new BBQ to power tools to used PC parts, clothes, more kids toys, daughters bedroom furniture, photo albums, picture frames.

When we arrived at customs we got a green light but got flagged in by an agent.
We were asked to empty the van out for a complete search, after a few boxes were searched the agent asked if we had an FM-3 and an inventory list. We had an inventory list we did ourselves and translated on our own into Spanish, this pleased the agent and he continued to search a few more boxes, but would ask us to reveal the contents of what was in the box prior to him opening them, (sort of a test).
Once he was satisfied and a few more questions as to how and why we were living in Mexico, we were then allowed entry without any problems.

Do I suggest you enter the same way as we did, not unless you know exactly how to deal with customs, speak Spanish and possess a FM-2 or FM-3 in your pocket, I never would have done this on only a FM-T.

julian3345

May 7, 2005, 12:20 PM

Post #8 of 27 (2781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Since last November, books sent in "M" bags have been charged 17% duty though this doesn't seem to be universally applied. This won't happen if the books are part of your menaje de casa.

Getting an FM-3 and menaje de casa approval from your MX consulate is definitely worth the time and trouble. If you are worried about how to label everything, hire a Mexican to help you pack and label the boxes...worked for me! That's how I learned that "burro de plancha" is one charming term for ironing board. Use your spread sheet function and get on with your list. Buena suerte! Joan

esperanza

May 7, 2005, 12:30 PM

Post #9 of 27 (2776 views)

Shortcut

And...in case you're thinking you can bring that U-Haul (or Ryder, or any rental truck) across the border into Mexico: you can't. You don't own it and you can't import it. You'll have to find another way to transport your belongings from the border to San Miguel.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Elaine

May 7, 2005, 4:32 PM

Post #10 of 27 (2743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

While we're on this subject, I own a small utility trailer. Here in Oklahoma we don't have to, in fact, we can't, tag them. If I want to bring things to Mexico using the trailer, what's going to happen regarding the trailer? I don't have a title, my father made the thing years ago and gave it to me about 10 years ago. It's a really good trailer, made out of sheet metal and completely enclosed. But no title, no tags, nothing. What does a person do in a case like this?

When one door closes, another opens. Some people are so busy looking at the door that has closed, they don't see the door that has opened. Keep looking for those open doors.

NickP

May 7, 2005, 5:04 PM

Post #11 of 27 (2733 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elaine] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Without any tags, my guess is you'll be S.O.L. trying to enter Mexico with it.

Remember the flip side to this. If you enter Mexico with a trailer and for whatever reason you decide down the road to sell the car, the trailer needs to be with the car when it's time to turn in the car permit.

abq

May 7, 2005, 5:24 PM

Post #12 of 27 (2726 views)

Shortcut

Just buy a tag on ebay and stick it on before you cross the border.

Neil Surdoval

May 7, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #13 of 27 (2720 views)

Shortcut

I am entering Mexico 1st of June on a FMT permit ... I would like to enter with my TV system ( DVD , VHS , TIVO ) and a back saver chair Rxed by a physican for a bad back .... any chance of that happening without a major hassel or a lot of money changing hands

NickP

May 7, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #14 of 27 (2703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Neil Surdoval] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

With all do respect to your safety and security, you might want to remove your home address and telephone number from the net.
You never know who lurks on here.

Texwheel

May 7, 2005, 7:33 PM

Post #15 of 27 (2688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Won't she need a title, also? Maybe she has that and not a tag...without a tag, I wonder.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Neil Surdoval

May 7, 2005, 8:34 PM

Post #16 of 27 (2672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Nick ... thank you for being kind enough to reply ....... perhaps I am naive .... however nothing on my computer leads to my banking or bill paying or anything else that compromises my security .... also why should anyone be willing to help me locate my friend Jan Dunlap if I am not willing to identify exactly who I am , why I am looking for her , where I live , and how I can be contacted .... I once read a post from Uncle Jack who admonished someone for not presenting themselves while trying to gain info about a friend they had lost contact with ....... when I sign on ..... the 1st thing I do .....is to see who else is on line ...... and look at their bios it is very interesting ..... it helps create a clearer picture..... if I read a post that hit home ..... I'de like to be able to contact that person directly ....a lot of people ....even those who have been members of mexconnect for several years ....opt to remain completely anonymous ...... again I don't know if I am a fool or I simply prefer not to live in fear especially when my back door is gated ..... but again thank for your concern and your kind gesture in cautioning me ...... forewarned is forearmed ! Neil

NickP

May 8, 2005, 5:13 AM

Post #17 of 27 (2634 views)

Shortcut

Neil, of course it is your perogative to post your home address, telephone number and anything else for that matter on the net, but I assure you in todays day and age whether or not, as you state you have no banking info on your PC, it's just not safe to post personnal info about ones self on the net. That's why we use email.

As for UJ admonishing someone on here for seeking info about a lost contact, yes I agree with him, many of the people asking to locate someone on here or any of the other forums almost never provide a email addy. Also my bookie always told me to never give out his telephone number, no matter who they claim to be. In your case you provided way to much info.

Now you got the ball rolling when you mentioned Camille and the conection she had about your lost friend. She is a high profile person lakeside and maybe one of the readers of this forum who know her can pass the info to her and get back to you.

Elaine

May 8, 2005, 6:30 AM

Post #18 of 27 (2627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

I guess I'll have to find out how to get a title to something that is home made. My DD and her family live in Texas, if they tag utility trailers down there, I guess when we get ready to move to Mexico, we can change everything to her Texas address?

Anyway, thank all of you who went to the trouble of answering me. I know that I got stopped once when I took the trailer on vacation to a different state. After almost getting a ticket for not having the trailer tagged, I started carrying around a copy of the law that shows we don't tag utility trailers in Oklahoma.

When one door closes, another opens. Some people are so busy looking at the door that has closed, they don't see the door that has opened. Keep looking for those open doors.

Gwynne

May 8, 2005, 8:31 AM

Post #19 of 27 (2610 views)

Shortcut

Elaine,
Yes, they do tag utility trailers here in Texas. Just have some kind of invoice-looking-thing written up to show how much it's worth (handwritten is OK) and present this with the specs on the trailer to the powers-that-be any place in Texas. You will pay the state sales tax and they will give you a plate.

Texwheel

May 8, 2005, 10:31 AM

Post #20 of 27 (2581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donlott] moving my stuff to SMA w/out a menaje

Elaine,

Before getting zapped with too much of a sales tax in Texas, have a relative to contact their local tax assessor and ask about transfers of property to relatives, like minimum value, if possible. You may need to come up with a "created" sale value, but it happens all the time and as far as I know is legal. Like Dad giving a car to his kid.

I'd be interested in how all this works out for you, because when and if I move down, I've been considering the towed trailer option myself....$1000 or so, or less, for a small enclosed trailer might make more sense than a good bit more for a mover.

Good luck.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Neil Surdoval

May 8, 2005, 12:41 PM

Post #21 of 27 (2561 views)

Shortcut

Nick , thank you .... and as you can see I took your advise ..... I especially appreciated your comment that I had broken through with the reference to Camille and Jan Dunlap ..... and possibly I might find some help .... I just wanted to mention that if someone clicked on my Bio they would find avenues to connect with me ......However would you share your thoughts about passing thru the border with my TV system and back saver chair on a FM-T permit .....is my only hope to catch a green lite and a wave thru or is it allowed with the payment of fees ...... both pieces are years old .... expensive then .....no clue as to value now ...... except replacement value ...... I guess if this didn't go well ......my only option would be to store it NOB ....... if that were the case I would rather leave it home ..... thank you for the advise Neil

M.J.

May 8, 2005, 12:54 PM

Post #22 of 27 (2551 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Rolly and Carol have straightened me right out. Thanks, you two, and everybody else.

So I'm going to scrap the no-menaje notion and go back to the States, to Phoenix, right away and get the FM3 and then come back to the casita I just leased in SMA and sleep on the tile floor in my sleeping bag until my stuff gets shipped down!

Carron

May 8, 2005, 3:16 PM

Post #23 of 27 (2529 views)

Shortcut

We sold off everything in the US before we moved down 7 years ago and did the sleeping bag routine until we were settled and could buy some Mexican furnishings. It works! Buena suerte!

mattw

May 8, 2005, 3:19 PM

Post #24 of 27 (2526 views)

Shortcut

You can buy a tag for a homemade trailer in Texas for about $30.
The price varies according to weight capacity. Just tell them it's a small , homemade utility trailer . No title or vin # necessary.
enjoy life, disfrute la vida

NickP

May 8, 2005, 7:01 PM

Post #25 of 27 (2494 views)

Shortcut

Well I've never crossed into Mexico with a FM-T carry what you want to bring across.
However I met others who have brought there own satellite receivers and DVD palyers without a problem.

If I was you I'd fill out one of these forms at US Customs prior to crossing into Mexico.
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/forms/4457.ctt/cbp_4457.pdf
Then when you cross over at the first checkpoint I'd drive thru the declare lane and ask if you can enter with your TV and stuff, tell them your rental doesn't have a TV.
If not turn around and try again later that day.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4