Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RonMader

Apr 22, 2005, 3:17 AM

Post #26 of 40 (1711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
Great question and interesting discussion in this topic

Prices have escalated in Mexico. Travelers should expect to pay at least 50% more than what they paid 5 years ago. That said, 5 years ago Mexico was emerging from its economic recession.

Has Mexico become too expensive? No. And no doubt with the increased competition in airline travel (yeah, Mexicana and Aeromexico will no longer be run by the same company in the future!), we should see some reasonable ticket prices on a regular basis.
Ron Mader
Planeta.com
http://www.planeta.com

Caarina12

Apr 23, 2005, 2:10 PM

Post #27 of 40 (1628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
Tourism within the tourist zones of most cities in Mexico are not as inexpensive as they used to be. I returned a week ago from Oaxaca on vacation, and I can definately say that if you eat within 2 blocks of Alcala, you will be paying about the same price for that meal as you do in California.

However, as always, if you get off the beaten path and eat outside of the tourism zones, you can eat and travel quite comfortably on a budget.

I stayed in a private room at an exceptionally clean hostel for $250 pesos a night, right in the center of town. That $250 pesos included breakfast. I took no taxis in town except to and from the airport, and I got along quite nicely on $40 USD a day. I only went over that budget when I needed transportation outside of town.

I paid for a direct flight (yes, it was in the middle of the night!) Tijuana-Oaxaca $400 USD round trip on Aeromexico. I have seen less expensive flights from TIJ-Oaxaca, but they were not non-stop.

Caarina

jimindetroit

Apr 26, 2005, 1:04 PM

Post #28 of 40 (1513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Caarina12] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
"I got along quite nicely on $40 USD a day."

Caarina, Caarina!

Rachael Ray, of The Food Network Channel, would be VERY proud of you! ;- )

Carol Schmidt

Apr 26, 2005, 3:29 PM

Post #29 of 40 (1492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jimindetroit] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
But Rachel Ray's "$40 a Day" Food Network show allots that much for food only, for one person. She's usually shown buying all sorts of souvenirs or going out on tourist trips or buying some wine to take home, and she's taking taxis all over and starting out from a very nice hotel or B&B with breakfast included.

Norma and I sometimes travel within Mexico on $40 a day for both of us, including the hotel and one main meal and a couple snacks. We're down in the $250 peso a night joints and eating a big comida at 45 pesos each, and having a banana and cereal in our room before we head out, and maybe having an ice cream out for evening, plus another fruit in our room, and we're walking all over. Souvenirs are still extra.

I can't believe the three square meals plus a dessert or cocktail Rachel Ray packs in during a day, and she's still thin. Just wait until she hits 50 or 60 and her metabolism shows to a crawl.

The original question, has Mexican tourism become too expensive, as usual has all sorts of "depends on"--where in Mexico are you vacationing, and how, and compared to what? Are the most expensive hotels and restaurants more expensive than they used to be? Is air travel more than it used to be? I wouldn't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. Can you still find decent cheap hotels and decent cheap meals and travel by bus and have a good time on a budget? Yes.

Carol Schmidt

Carron

Apr 26, 2005, 5:37 PM

Post #30 of 40 (1469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jimindetroit] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
Wow! Many Mexicans live on 100 pesos or less a day (for the entire family) and consider themselves doing well. Shall we keep things in perspective here?

(This post was edited by Carron on Apr 26, 2005, 5:39 PM)

Caarina12

Apr 27, 2005, 10:55 AM

Post #31 of 40 (1407 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
Carol-- ditto on the Rachel Ray comment.

My $40 USD a day included my lodging, food, museum entrance fees, miscellaneous things like water, coffee and a snack in the evening. I ate every meal out except breakfast which was provided in my lodging costs. If I had access to a kitchen, I could have brought my daily costs way down.

No souvenirs, cooking classes or transportation outside of Oaxaca was included in the costs.

So, it is possible to travel on less a day, but as I said, I was very comforable with $40 USD a day.

MARIA CUERVA

Apr 28, 2005, 9:06 AM

Post #32 of 40 (1365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Caarina12] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
We recently spent 6 weeks in SMA. We stayed in a hotel room w/kitchen in the center of town, walking distance to everything. We cooked almost all our own meals,with the exception of some main meals in the Mercado, bought the best coffee and made it in our kitchen, bought excellent Chilean wines.We sacrificed nothing, walked literally everywhere, had a fabulous time. We wrote down EVERY expense because we wanted to know what we could actually live on in SMA as opposed to the overwhelming daily living costs in the states. It cost for 2 people $85.00 a week. That is everything- Hotel,food ,coffee,good wine,some taxis,a trip to the Grutas,some meals in restaurants,gas for auto for trips out of town, bought American newspaper weekly,visits to the curandero,some evening entertainments. Living richly on so little has never been so good! Mind you we had spent half that in the 6 weeks previous that we had spent in less well known areas in Mexico.

Texwheel

Apr 28, 2005, 10:05 AM

Post #33 of 40 (1347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerva] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
Now let me make sure, you did all that in SMA, INCLUDING hotel, for two for $85 USD per week total? Am I quoting correctly? That just does not seem possible.

The cheapest bare bones B & B in Ajijic is $100 USD a week in the off season. Just checking. Please confirm. Tom.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

MARIA CUERVA

Apr 28, 2005, 10:41 AM

Post #34 of 40 (1338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
Yes Tom, there is a Santa Claus! There we were, writing down every toll, every ear of corn in the Jardin,every little expense in our notebook which we carried everywhere. It may seem excessive but we really wanted to know what this trip was costing us. Everyone says SMA is so expensive but what is true is that you find what you are looking for. You make choices always. I really like good coffee and good wine so I bought the best available. My Hotel was perfectly lovely and suited my needs. So yes, $85.00 Dlls a week is what it cost us. I probably have an inherited gift of finding the best and the least expensive. Loving Mexico as I do, speaking Spanish,and cultivating friendships certainly helps but still most prices are just what they are. The true horror is what it cost me ,not to pay for my trip to Mexico which was nothing, but to pay for my life in the states while I was gone.

(This post was edited by cuerva on Apr 28, 2005, 10:44 AM)

Texwheel

Apr 28, 2005, 10:55 AM

Post #35 of 40 (1328 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Cuerva,

Can you train me to travel as well and cheaply as you?
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

MARIA CUERVA

Apr 28, 2005, 11:33 AM

Post #36 of 40 (1314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
Tom, best advice is- Don't believe everything you hear from people who have all the answers. Mexico is a fabulous place with people who are Human as in not afraid to be emotional, make exceptions, and break the G.D. Rules( if in fact a rule does exist. Ask and you shall receive.

not_ally

Apr 28, 2005, 1:23 PM

Post #37 of 40 (1289 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Cuerva, where did you stay? Pretty much the cheapest OK B&B's that I know of are in the $30/day range. It's always good to find out about others for out of town guests.
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

MARIA CUERVA

Apr 28, 2005, 1:39 PM

Post #38 of 40 (1282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [not_ally] Has Mexican Tourism Become Too Expensive?

| Private Reply
not_ally, I made a private arrangement with the owner of the Hotel. That being said I cannot disclose it. Which goes to show you that all things are not equal. In Mexico business dealings are usually made on an individual basis. Always ask for what you want. You might get it.

NEOhio

Apr 28, 2005, 7:17 PM

Post #39 of 40 (1236 views)

Shortcut

|
You are absolutely right. Today I negotiated a one year lease on a house in Ajijic at significantly less than the published rate by offering to pay for the entire year upfront. The total came to what we had expected to pay for 3 months this summer. No pool, but that's what friends are for! We were nice, thoughtful, considerate and willing to give a little to get a lot. It paid off big, and for that we are grateful. We get a deal, and the Mexican owner gets a hunk of cash at one time, everybody wins. The relator was surprised at how smoothly it went.

Always ask for what you want, you just might get it!!

(This post was edited by NEOhio on Apr 28, 2005, 8:02 PM)

jennifer rose

Apr 28, 2005, 8:04 PM

Post #40 of 40 (1216 views)

Shortcut

Thread Locked!

|
This thread is locked, because its length is starting to take over the page. There's still room for discussion on this topic or any of its offshoots. Simply start up a new thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4