Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

wyhaines

Apr 25, 2005, 9:47 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2406 views)

Shortcut

More Questions! Schools, this time.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mostly, I am asking about school for children here. I'm aware of the Escuela Para Estudiantes Extranjeros and have, in fact mailed them (wrote the whole thing in Spanish, in fact, then in English porque temo que mi espan~ol esta demasiado malo a entender verdamente) for information on taking Spanish classes.

However, one of my biggest remaining concerns is on language acquisition for my children. My oldest daughter will be 9 in October, and is a smart little girl. We have been homeschooling her, but are considering enrolling her in school next year. I have been teaching her some Spanish, but she's FAR from able to speak or understand enough to be educated in Spanish only, and unless I start walking around the house speaking nothing but Spanish, she's unlikely to have moved substantially from that position by the time we move.

I assume that there are no bilingual schools like in some of the more gringoified areas? Other than homeschooling her for another year while finding every opportunity to immerse her in the language and help her find Mexican friends and playmates, can you think of anything that I have not already mentioned to help her learn enough of the language to be educable in it?

Or other children will be 2 in June and 5 in July, and the 5 year old will not be ready for kindergarden this year, so there is more time for them to acquire Spanish skills.

Thanks,

Kirk Haines

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Apr 25, 2005, 7:05 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wyhaines] More Questions! Schools, this time.

Kirk:
There are several(maybe 10 or more) "bilingual" schools in Xalapa. Some better, some worse. I have sent you a private message so you can contact the family that is living in the apartment above my photography studio. They have a 4 year old and have been here nearly 8 months.
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

wyhaines

Apr 26, 2005, 6:23 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2378 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] More Questions! Schools, this time.

Muchas gracias. Yo voy a mandar un email (hay una palabra en espanol para email?) immediamente!

10 bilingual schools? Wow. That surprises me. Is it the influence of the univerisity and it's foreign students school?

Kirk Haines

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Apr 26, 2005, 8:25 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wyhaines] More Questions! Schools, this time.

Kirk:
The bilingual schools is more that the mexicans want their children to learn English.
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4