Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Rolly

Apr 20, 2005, 8:50 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1211 views)

Shortcut

A week in Los Angeles

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just got home from a week in LA. Lots of good BBQ, and too damn much really bad "Mexican" food. I'm heading for Doņa Martha's house early tomorrow morning for some real food.

Nice to be back home even if it is HOT in Lerdo.

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Apr 21, 2005, 8:31 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] A week in Los Angeles

And did you get an upset tummy while you were there? Whenever we go back to visit in Texas we always do. Suspect it's the greasy fast foods we never eat here in Mexico.

Carol Schmidt

Apr 21, 2005, 8:51 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1191 views)

Shortcut

It's funny, I miss some of the pseudo-Mexican food as fixed in LA. The tastes and sauces were not as complex as here, but I loved a heaping plate of nachos that had tortilla chips, refried beans, spicy chicken or hamburger, red salsa, chopped iceberg lettuce, grated cheddar cheese, U.S. style sour cream, black olives, guacamole and slices of pickled jalapenos all piled high.

Here nachos usually is a flat plate of fried tortilla pieces, a black bean sauce, cheese and jalapenos. Delicious, too, but not what I'm thinking of when I order nachos.

Substitute a large flour tortilla fried into a bowl shape and then add all the same U.S. ingredients of nachos and call it a tortilla salad--no such thing here.

Not that I'd trade all the complexities and variations of real Mexican food for it, but I did love that stuff, too. The quantities were too huge--much easier to lose weight here. Last time we were in the U.S. we ordered a burrito at Chevy's and I took a photo of it in all its gargantuan mass, filling a huge platter. Here a burrito is a small flour tortilla folded in half over a spoon of filling, for maybe 3 pesos, compared to the $8 US for the Chevy's monstrosity. But I sure enjoyed it.

Carol Schmidt

abq

Apr 23, 2005, 4:58 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1154 views)

Shortcut

You need to visit New Mexico again. The best mexican food on the planet!

Carron

Apr 24, 2005, 12:00 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] A week in Los Angeles

You should visit us here in Acuna for the best nachos in, well, Mexico. La Macarena Restaurante is the most upscale bar and steakhouse in town and nothing costs over $7-8 dollars, not even the drinks.

One of our favorites is the Nachos Supreme, a platter that easily serves two as a full meal. Thick homemade corn tortilla chips covered with refried beans, guacamole, greasy gooey yellow cheese melted to the texture of hot rubber, and a generous topping of marinated, grilled way past well done, almost tender sirloin strips. A large bowl of fiery salsa offered on the side. To die for, especially with all that cholesteral, and definitely worth every calorie. Great with an ice cold cerveza!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4