Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

fido49

Apr 20, 2005, 11:53 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2735 views)

Shortcut

Ajijic neighborhoods

Can't Post | Private Reply
Being unfamiliar with Ajijic, could someone please tell me about the flavor of it's different neighborhoods? ...[& nearby areas as well]...I'm assuming like any other city/town/village it has it's own unique/interesting areas...not that Ajijic isn't unique/interesting in itself...I'm sure it is, so please don't be offended by my question as I'm simply trying to learn more about it/Lake Chapala area by asking, along with researching previous posts.........

Roses5410

Apr 20, 2005, 3:08 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fido49] Ajijic neighborhoods

Well, we've recently moved from La Cristina and so I can tell you a little about that area. It is located about 3 miles west of Ajijic. You would turn off the caretera toward the lake and it dead ends there. There must be at least 40 homes out there with one gated community and a set of gated condo/rentals...

We initially chose that location because it was quieter than the village - or should I say it has a different set of sounds than the village? As you move away from the village you find the noise level may decrease or differ depending on what you have located around you, ie. church, school, restaurant, mostly mexican homes, mostly gringo homes, etc.

Back to La Cristina...it is a small but busy community with lots of construction going on at this time. I felt very safe while I was living there. However I didn't have the view that I wanted so we eventually found a house in another area that had a wonderful view and so we moved away from La Cristina.

A few years ago I used to be able to walk right down to the lake along the "beach" with the dogs but now that the water is up so high it is not possible to do so but it's nice viewing the lake right there at the end of the road.

Some of the things I loved while there were the sounds of local "wildlife" - birds chirping, the hooves of horses clip-clopping down the cobblestone road, the bleating of sheep as they pass your house, seeing the big grey dancing horses practicing every now and again on the road. I would hear the occasional dog barking...children playing (sometimes these were unwelcomed sounds)...

One of the most recent homes sold there was turned into a stable with American horses (very well fed and fat)...the "fish man", Ignacio, and his wife would ring my bell every two weeks to see if I needed freshly frozen seafood. Occasionally I would hear the honk of the "bread lady's" car - she honks and you go out to meet her, she opens her trunk and you choose the bread you would like...

Every neighborhood/area has something to offer..it just depends on what you are looking for...hope this helped you...

-K-
I love taking pictures...check out my prints for sale @ http://Rosacalaca.dpcprints.com/

fido49

Apr 20, 2005, 3:58 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2670 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Roses5410] Ajijic neighborhoods

Thank you "K" for the helpful info. Your discription of La Cristina sounds wonderful.
Looking for something with a view.[though the small neighborhood sounds very nice].

1ajijic

Apr 21, 2005, 7:49 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2554 views)

Shortcut

Then you need to go above the highway, be prepared for a steepish not probaly flat lot, steps etc. and.. depending on the area paying some bucks! Also probably a two story house. And the chance that if someone builds in front of you there goes the view you payed big bucks for. One neighborhood, Las Salvias, just above highway, west end of village is trying to pass neighborhood rules that you can ONLY build a one story house. Thus not trashing the view for the people behind you. Of course the way around that is for the person to build a tall retaining wall, just add fill and make the lot higher..before they build....sigh.
La Floresta both upper and lower at east end of the village, wide streets, big trees, quieter, not much view lots but pretty older homes or newly rehabbed ones. Still has a lot of the Guadalajara people with weekend places. Chula Vista further east, overlooks or near the golf course. Hilly, some view, older homes, was first "development" in the village. Used to be the place to find 50's rehab bargains but no more! Have to be careful the fault line runs through there. Below is the village of San Antonio. And to the west Riberas. And yes there is a lot of building going on in both. You can get a view down below the highway by building a mirador or rooftop terrace.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

rickc

Apr 21, 2005, 8:37 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Ajijic neighborhoods

In Reply To
Used to be the place to find 50's rehab bargains but no more! Have to be careful the fault line runs through there. Below is the village of San Antonio. And to the west Riberas. And yes there is a lot of building going on in both. You can get a view down below the highway by building a mirador or rooftop terrace.

Fault line? First I've heard of this.(Although with hot springs and volcanoes in the area it doesn't surprise me). Is information about this fault line and others in the area readily available?? I have a fascination about geology and would love to read up on it as it applies to the Lake Chapala region.)

Rich Chambers
Navigating the Sea of Life..

1ajijic

Apr 22, 2005, 7:57 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rickc] Ajijic neighborhoods

Sure, last year on Mexican April fools day, the paper ran a story of how the fault had extended into the lake and x million gallons of water were being lost daily. Some people ran to the realtors to sell their homes. Remember, here, there are no disclosure laws. It is strictly buyer beware. If it is too good to be true...buy in haste and repent in leisure!

fido49

Apr 22, 2005, 9:33 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rickc] Ajijic neighborhoods

Thanks for the info rickc...
A while ago I had read somewhere about a "fault line" in that area but had forgotten it till I read your message...

1ajijic

Apr 22, 2005, 11:54 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2444 views)

Shortcut

The fault line runs through parts of lower La Floresta and Chula Vista. There are several "famous?" houses you will see in both those areas that have cracks that come back! ....forever. Ask a reputable realtor and they can tell you where most of the fault lines are.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4