Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rolly

Apr 5, 2005, 1:38 PM

Post #1 of 45 (6336 views)

Shortcut

A change in US passport requirements is coming

| Private Reply
Here is some interesting reading from the US State Department website.

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

Travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada will be required to have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Implementation Dates for New Travel Initiative Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions about the New Travel Initiative Requirements (FAQs)

Read it all here: http://www.travel.state.gov/

Rolly Pirate

king1522

Apr 5, 2005, 2:34 PM

Post #2 of 45 (6292 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] A change in US passport requirements is coming

| Private Reply
Thanks Rolly. This may be a mixed blessing. Maybe it will discourage unwanted relatives from visiting us!

Don

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

macmember

Apr 5, 2005, 8:38 PM

Post #3 of 45 (6232 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

"December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada."

Rolly, am I reading this wrong or will we continue to be able to drive across the Border without a passport?

Also, what would an "other accepted document" be?

Beverly

Bear

Apr 6, 2005, 5:45 AM

Post #4 of 45 (6200 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You will drive across until Dec. 31, 2007 without passport. Other documents include pre-approved pass cards, e.g. "Sentri" and "Fast" cards.

alex .

Apr 6, 2005, 7:23 AM

Post #5 of 45 (6175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] that is consistent with what I've always said:

| Private Reply
The passport is a re-entry document. A driver license doesn't indicate citizenship nor does a birth certificate have a picture or signature. The passport does. Right after 9/11 there was much talk about instituting a national ID card; we already have that in the form of a passport.
Alex

Bubba

Apr 6, 2005, 6:12 PM

Post #6 of 45 (6092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] that is consistent with what I've always said:

| Private Reply
Why in hell wouldn't everyone have a passport? You'd damn well better have one the next time you cross from Aqua Prieta into Douglas or those MinuteMen will plug your sorry ass in the name of protecting those Arkansas chicken plucker jobs from the foreign demons taking over the Fourdyce Trailer Park. Praise The Lawd and pass me my sheet, brother.

Marlene

Apr 6, 2005, 9:02 PM

Post #7 of 45 (6061 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] that is consistent with what I've always said:

| Private Reply

Why in hell wouldn't everyone have a passport?

Ahh...the burning question. I also ponder the same question, so why don't we ask the masses? Why do any of you (or your friends) choose to travel to Mexico, a foreign country, without a passport?

Marta R

Apr 6, 2005, 10:22 PM

Post #8 of 45 (6053 views)

Shortcut

On not having a passport:

| Private Reply
My sister doesn't have a passport. I took her on a cruise to PV, Mazatlan, and Los Cabos and we packed along her birth certificate, driver's license, etc. etc. She was never asked for any of them.

On the other hand, ten years ago a U.S. immigration official in Vancouver, Canada, tried to keep me off a plane going home, because he asked where I was born and I said "Mexico" and he asked if I was a US citizen and I said "yes" and he said "prove it" and I didn't have a passport and he wouldn't accept anything else, including my voter reg card, and he strung me out until final call for the plane before telling me I could go, and there I was rushing down the corridor trying to stuff my life back into my purse and cursing and crying and it was pretty awful. Now, I don't go within 100 miles of a border without my passport.

Marta

julietl

Apr 7, 2005, 6:07 AM

Post #9 of 45 (6040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] that is consistent with what I've always said:

| Private Reply
This discussion is news to me. I had no idea you could come to Mexico without a passport. Maybe because I usually come here via airport and don't drive across the border.

Everyone who has come to visit me in the last 2 years (around 20 people), they have all had a passport. I think it is pretty presumptuous to go to another country without one, and generally it's not even an option.

Ed and Fran

Apr 7, 2005, 6:14 AM

Post #10 of 45 (6033 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
From the few people I know who don't have them, it's usually because they never planned on doing international travel any farther afield than Canada or Mexico, and a passport wasn't necessary for either of those destinations. In other words, why bother?

It wouldn't surprise me any to find that there are a lot of people in mid-America who are totally unaware of the concept of passport and visa requirements.

Just one more thing that's changed in the world.

E&F

abq

Apr 7, 2005, 6:17 AM

Post #11 of 45 (6030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] that is consistent with what I've always said:

| Private Reply
I have a pasport but it expired last year and I hadn't gotten the replacement in time for a six week trip to Mexico. At that time a birth certeficate and drivers license was all that was required. I had no problem at the border both entering and exiting.

Bear

Apr 7, 2005, 7:00 AM

Post #12 of 45 (6012 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Men and women who have outstanding child support
balances due over $5000.00 US are denied passports
by the feds. They must travel with birth certificates
and picture ID. They cannot get a passport until they clear the debt.
This, in turn, keeps them from an FM3, bank account
in many Mexican Banks, Mexican auto ownership, etc.
These folks will have trouble crossing the border after
Dec. 31, 2007. Perhaps, this is best.

jimindetroit

Apr 7, 2005, 7:19 AM

Post #13 of 45 (6009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] that is consistent with what I've always said:

| Private Reply
Of course you're right, E&F. We have friends here who have never traveled more than 5 counties from their birthplace! Windsor, Ontario, Canada, is a 10 minute ride from Detroit and just another town to hang out, have a beer, do a little gambling, etc. if you live in the Detroit area, eh? No one here ever dreamed of needing a passport to visit the Windsor Ballet (a strip club), but it'll soon be a reality. This morning on WJR talk radio, "passports" was the topic. To my surprise, almost all the comments called in were in favor of having passports to visit our Canadian sister city. The threat of terrorism is so much on our minds that we're all in favor of doing anything to hamper its possiblity here. We have a mile or less of water separating us; a few thousand American and Canadian registered pleasure and fishing boats on that water, and a dozen law enforcement watercraft patrolling the border for bad guys!

alex .

Apr 7, 2005, 7:35 AM

Post #14 of 45 (6004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] I last renewed my passort at the Consulate

| Private Reply
in Tijuana. Show your old passport, your new photos, pay a fee of something like $450 pesos I think it was, they make a new one right there on the spot. Your old one gets some holes punched in it and returned to you with the brand spanking new one. Took 40 minutes all told. The old passport still serves as valid ID: just because your passport expires doesn't mean that your citizenship does.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Apr 7, 2005, 7:37 AM)

MG Rabon

Apr 7, 2005, 7:48 AM

Post #15 of 45 (5996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] I last renewed my passort at the Consulate

| Private Reply
Alex, Are you serious? I can really renew my US passport in Mexico for less and half the price of renewing it in the US???

Hmmm

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

jennifer rose

Apr 7, 2005, 8:07 AM

Post #16 of 45 (5986 views)

Shortcut

|
Bubba typeth,

" Why in hell wouldn't everyone have a passport?"

That's the question I've been asking. I've never been able to figure out why so many folks are so darn reticent about getting a passport. Maybe they're just worried about taking the test. The reality is that it takes far less time and intelligence to get a passport than a driver's license. I've had passports my entire life, and the total time expended on applications and renewals was far less than an episode of Wheel of Fortune.

[Lest someone actually think there's a test, allow me to state for the record that there is no test. Repeat, there is no test. No Kaplan course is necessary prior to getting a passport.]

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Apr 7, 2005, 8:07 AM)

abq

Apr 7, 2005, 8:40 AM

Post #17 of 45 (5971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] I last renewed my passort at the Consulate

| Private Reply
Actually, I was told that an expired passport wouldn't be accepted but the BC would. Living in Albuquerque, I had to send away to Texas for one. I guess it doesn't really matter now that the rules have changed.

Papirex

Apr 7, 2005, 11:00 AM

Post #18 of 45 (5933 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] I last renewed my passort at the Consulate

| Private Reply
In the early 1990s my passport had expired when I had the opportunity to make a trip to Mexico. I used my birth certificate and drivers license to enter Mexico. Upon returning to the US, after showing my birth certificate and drivers license, I mentioned to the US official that I had an expired passport, he said “You should have showed it to me, it would be OK.”

A couple of months later I had to make another trip to Mexico. Being an expert procrastinator, I still had not renewed my passport. When returning to The US, I told the woman on the US side that I had an expired US passport. She said “That’s no good.” Go figure.

When I started the renewal process later, I was kicking myself a little for waiting too long to do it. I found out that I could have renewed it online, if I did it within one year of the old one’s expiration date. It would have saved me from duplicating a lot of paperwork if I had known about it. Fortunately, I had kept a copy of my original application, so I was able to find the dates, and places of birth for both my parents, etc. fairly easily. Renewing it the way I did it was almost like making the original application, with the exception that I had to send in my old passport. They canceled it and sent it back to me with the new one.

I suppose that with all the stuff recently enacted for Homeland security, that the option for online renewal is probably not offered anymore. But I will check for it when the time comes anyway.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

RickS

Apr 7, 2005, 11:50 AM

Post #19 of 45 (5914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] I last renewed my passort at the Consulate

| Private Reply
I don't see a way to renew 'on-line', but the renewal form is available to print out there. See the site listed below to see if you qualify ......

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

Texwheel

Apr 7, 2005, 12:12 PM

Post #20 of 45 (5910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] I last renewed my passort at the Consulate

| Private Reply
Listen, let's not all get too snooty about why someone doesn't have a passport. I got one several years ago and used it only once, to go to Canada...I had visions of other trips, but they never happened.

It expired. And I renewed it barely in time for my trip to Mexico last June.

I'd like to be a world traveler as many of you are...and I still hope to be. But with one never having been required for traveling to Canada and Mexico, much of which is close-in border crossing only, why would most "middle Americans" have wanted or needed to get a passport?
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

mrchuck

Apr 7, 2005, 1:03 PM

Post #21 of 45 (5894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frank fundaro] A change in US passport requirements is coming

| Private Reply
Wrong Frank.
The actual ICE enforcement date for Mexico is 12-31-2006.
This is 1 year and 9 months form now, and it is about time.
There are presently thousands of US citizens hiding in Mexico to avoid the many, and varied US Law Enforcement Authorities, that has "paper" on them.
This category of perps cannot get a Passport, nor withstand a serious document inspection.
This type of "lifestyle" for them, is now coming to an end!
These same people also cannot get Mexican immigration documents like an FM-3 or FM-2.
So, they will have to get back into the USA soon, and try to blend back in and not be found out.

It IS about time,,,,,,,Saludos,,,,mc

(This post was edited by mrchuck on Apr 7, 2005, 1:05 PM)

MG Rabon

Apr 7, 2005, 1:43 PM

Post #22 of 45 (5878 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Mine had expired and I renewed it last year. It wasn't the smoothest or quickest process I've seen. I filled out the paperwork and presented it and my old passport, along with my birth certificate, D/L, voters registration card, and about $90, to the postmaster. He kept the birth certificate and my old passport and sent them off to be processed with the renewal applications. Seven weeks later I get a big package that I thought was my passport, instead it was more forms and a request for 5 additional pieces of identifying paperwork that were over 7 years old, aside from the ones I had just presented. Among the list of acceptable items were photocopies of my highschool yearbook showing my photo on one of the pages, tax returns, and other official documents. I sent that back to them and it took yet another 3 weeks before I received my new passport.

Perhaps things have already started to change?

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

(This post was edited by MG Rabon on Apr 7, 2005, 1:46 PM)

mjeble

Apr 7, 2005, 3:33 PM

Post #23 of 45 (5850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mrchuck] A change in US passport requirements is coming

| Private Reply
  • December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
  • December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.
  • This is a copy and paste from the site that Rolly gave. The cut off date IS Dec 31, 2007 for land border crossings into and out of Mexico the way I read it.

• Myra

Listen to what I mean, not what I say.

Carron

Apr 7, 2005, 3:46 PM

Post #24 of 45 (5847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mrchuck] A change in US passport requirements is coming

| Private Reply
    Your post is interesting. Are you a member of the Minutemen Patrol against immigration into the US or you against US citizens living in Mexico? Most of us ex-pats in Mexico are here because we want to live a tranquil life at much less expense than a similar life in the US. Your post seems to suggest that the reason US citizens migrate to Mexico is to protect themselves from criminal prosecution. Off base, I think.

abq

Apr 7, 2005, 3:59 PM

Post #25 of 45 (5840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MG Rabon] A change in US passport requirements is coming

| Private Reply
    If I had to show my high school yearbook pic, they would never believe that cute kid was me!
    First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4