Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

brokenkettle

Mar 23, 2005, 12:16 PM

Post #1 of 32 (7343 views)

Shortcut

statin meds in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Greetings to all in Mexico and a quick question for anyone with an answer. When I come next winter for my first extended retirement stay, I will have need of a cholesterol medication. Is there widespread availability, and does anyone have an idea of costs? I currently take 20 mg Lipitor, but am not limited to this particular statin. Hope this is not a recurrent question. Thanks in advance!

Carol Schmidt

Mar 23, 2005, 1:17 PM

Post #2 of 32 (7323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [brokenkettle] statin meds in Mexico

Statins are readily available here, often at less cost than in the U.S., but many people prefer to use the nopales cactus in green capsule form for cholesterol. Two tablets with every meal for I think $20 US a month, and nopales lowers cholesterol safely and effectively for many people. Available to many local health food stores.

Carol Schmidt

sandykayak

Mar 23, 2005, 1:39 PM

Post #3 of 32 (7319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] statin meds in Mexico

gosh, thanks for the nopal tip, carol...will look for them during my upcoming trip to chapala.

i found that "cheaper than the US" is relative. I can be really dumb when it comes to converting and frequently move the decimal point the wrong way.

e.g. I saw Celebrex for what I believe was 550 pesos and I thought "great $5.50 US, I'd better stock up." and started pulling out several boxes.

Turns out it was the equivalent of $55 USD..... (so, how many pesos would that be - rounded off at 10/1?)

My RX copays are either $10 or $15.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Cynthia7

Mar 23, 2005, 8:10 PM

Post #4 of 32 (7262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] statin meds in Mexico

I have been told that the nopales -dried and in capsule form are better for cholesterol and blood sugar than the pill form.

Don

Mar 23, 2005, 8:27 PM

Post #5 of 32 (7254 views)

Shortcut

10 tablets of 20 mg Lipitor runs somewhere between 350 and 400 pesos. Other cholestrol medications are also available like Zocor.

(This post was edited by Don on Mar 23, 2005, 8:28 PM)

talosian

Mar 23, 2005, 9:00 PM

Post #6 of 32 (7244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] statin meds in Mexico

If you take 20mg, you should get 40mg tabs and cut them in half. Also, if you have no insurance which covers any of your costs, check into getting a supply from Canada which may be cheaper than Lakeside. I don't know what area you are looking to live but Lakeside, statins and many other meds are very much gringo priced (no bargains).

I am also a believer in alternative medicine so do Google nopales cactus and that may not only help your cholesterol level but your bank account.

Spock.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

johanson

Mar 23, 2005, 9:20 PM

Post #7 of 32 (7237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] statin meds in Mexico

I know your solution of buying double strength pills and cutting them in half works quite well up North where often the price of Meds stays the same when the strength is doubled. However, down here, when I get a pill at double strength the price of the pill is usually almost doubled, therefore diminishing the benefits thereof.

Again I don't get many meds down here. What type of cost experience have you all had by doubling the dosage of your meds and then cutting them in half here in Mexico?

macmember

Mar 23, 2005, 9:38 PM

Post #8 of 32 (7234 views)

Shortcut

I am very surprised to hear that a month's supply of 20 mg Zocor would be as much as $120.00 USD. The idea of spitting a 40 mg is a good idea. I was expecting the drugs to be much cheaper SOB. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure what the retail is for this prescription. My co-pays are $30/$50 for Brand name drugs. With as many I take, that's bad.

There is a generic Statin drug (named Lovastatin) but I read that it does not protect you from stroke like Zocor is said to do. Zocor is a multi-result drug and I am not sure that the holistic Nopales Cactus would do that for you.

When my Husband retires and we no longer have Insurance, I will more than likely take the cheaper drugs or Holistic replacements that I can get in Mexico and just quit taking the more expensive ones. I refuse to spend all our savings on drugs! We are all going to die in the near future any way.

talosian

Mar 24, 2005, 7:01 AM

Post #9 of 32 (7201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [macmember] statin meds in Mexico

I have never bought drugs SOB but when I got Lipitor NOB in 40mg and split them, it was fine and the 40mg was only very slightly more than the 20mg.

The issue with drug costs SOB is that the drug companies know it's the expats who buy the drugs and so it's pricing for what the traffic will tolerate. I'll bet no Mexican doctor prescribes Lipitor to the average Mexican patient.

It's all a numbers and money game for the drug companies, make $$, bottom line. And if you can't afford the drugs which will help you live longer and better, then the drug companies figure you are not a benefit to them and so you can die and make way for someone who can pay the cost.

Another $80,000,000,000 to Iraq and how much to privide drugs for Americans who need them?

Spock
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

Kip

Mar 24, 2005, 8:03 AM

Post #10 of 32 (7186 views)

Shortcut

It might be worthwhile to find out what the Mexican MD's are doing/prescibing instead. They just may have a better way to go.

Kip
kip

El Queso Grande

Mar 24, 2005, 10:35 AM

Post #11 of 32 (7157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] statin meds in Mexico

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know of a web site which list the prices of meds SoB?

TIA,
dave

"I'm not so think as you drunk I am."

E-mail me at xalapaboy@aol.com

Don

Mar 24, 2005, 1:56 PM

Post #12 of 32 (7133 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Queso Grande] statin meds in Mexico

You might check out this website. I have never ordered from them and I believe they are located in Mexico City.

http://www.medsmex.com/xcart/customer/home.php

El Queso Grande

Mar 24, 2005, 2:00 PM

Post #13 of 32 (7129 views)

Shortcut

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info, will check it out.
By the way, have really enjoyed your site and all the pics!

Dave

"I'm not so think as you drunk I am."

E-mail me at xalapaboy@aol.com

johanson

Mar 24, 2005, 2:57 PM

Post #14 of 32 (7121 views)

Shortcut

The folks at www.medmex.com sell internationally but do not sell to folks in Mexico. Their support offices are in Gresham, near Portland, OR.

Their tel # is 1-866-medsmex

The only companies that I know here (for example www.Saveonmeds.com ) operate in Jalisco, Mexico but provide products to folks in countries other than Mexico.

Don

Mar 24, 2005, 7:12 PM

Post #15 of 32 (7097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] statin meds in Mexico

Pete:

Are you sure they don't sell in Mexico? I can't find anything on their website that states that policy. Even though their support office is in Oregon, all shipments are made from Mexico. But, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't sell here. The statement below is on their site.

History of Medicine Mexico
Medicine Mexico is a registered corporation within Mexico. Our distribution center is located in Mexico City & all packages are sent directly from Mexico to our customers worldwide. We established an on-line presence in 1998 and continue to grow rapidly. We trust that our reputation is solid because we handle all marketing in-house, we do not have affiliate programs or wholesale programs, and all customers are treated as individuals.

johanson

Mar 24, 2005, 7:57 PM

Post #16 of 32 (7076 views)

Shortcut

YES Don I emailed them and that is what they answered within a few minutes of my posting earlier this afternoon. I would love to be wrong, though.

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 24, 2005, 7:58 PM)

macmember

Mar 24, 2005, 9:15 PM

Post #17 of 32 (7064 views)

Shortcut

Has anyone ever ordered from MedsMex.com (online) ? I would love to order from them but would feel more comfortable if I knew they were not going to steal my credit card number.

johanson

Mar 24, 2005, 9:45 PM

Post #18 of 32 (7057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] statin meds in Mexico

Here is a comparison on a drug you take SandyKayak

One of the drugs I sometimes take is Celelebrex. 30 200 mg tabs cost me $ 620 pesos at Costco Guadalajara. At 11.20 pesos per dollar that equates to $56.83 for 30 pills. 30 200mg tablets at the Seattle Costco costs $98.09 At www.drugstore.com those same 30 200mg tabs cost $79.99

Costco Mexico $58.63 Actual
Costco USA $98.09 per web page
Drugstore.com $79.99 per web page

So for Celebrex at least, it is a lot cheaper here in Mexico

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 24, 2005, 9:46 PM)

Jerry@Ajijic

Mar 25, 2005, 5:41 AM

Post #19 of 32 (7040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [macmember] statin meds in Mexico

I would not like to have my credit card number used by others either. This is why when I order from a unknown or doubtful source I use a "one time credit card number". I just ask my credit card company (over the internet) to issue me one when in doubt. It is a credit card number that has a everything my regular card has but is only good for purchases from 1 company and only for a set amount.

ignacio

Apr 1, 2005, 12:47 PM

Post #20 of 32 (6927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] statin meds in Mexico

I started having cholesterol problems here in Mexico, never while I lived and worked in the USA. I was prescribed Lipitor, which is very expensive, and after using it for a few months, with the resulting dent in my budget, I decided to look for alternatives.

I have now used for over one year something called generically 'nopalinasa' which is nopal and linasa, which is sold at Wall Mart, some Canadian stuff, and some more generic Mexican stuff.
It is not expensive, a bag of the stuff costs around 70 pesos, and you take it diluted in water or juice at a rate of a spoonful a day. The bag of this stuff lasts 4 or 5 months.

I also take 'Yumel' drops, 20 before each meal, and costs 85 pesos per bottle, which lasts about one month. These are sold at 'alternative medicine' places.

So far so good, I have gone some 14 months without cholesterol problems. I have not changed my diet, since I have never eaten fatty or fried foods.

Rolly

Apr 1, 2005, 1:48 PM

Post #21 of 32 (6916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] statin meds in Mexico

Does anyone know how concentrated nopalinasa is? How much nopal would one have to eat to equal one dose of nopalinasa? Is raw better than cooked?

I really like nopales and would be glad to increase my intake by a reasonable amount if it would be helpful.

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Apr 2, 2005, 6:48 AM

Post #22 of 32 (6874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] statin meds in Mexico

This Nopalinasa is a combination of dried nopal and "linaza" or flaxseed/linseed. I saw it prominently displayed at Soriana yesterday but didn't buy any because, at that point, I didn't know what "linasa" was. I believe this stuff is sold as a laxative but, as with all concoctions of this type, the benefits are about as clear as those of Scientology.

In my family, we are redisposed to low cholesteral but someone I know is genetically predisposed to very high cholesteral and was prescribed Lipitor by her doctor. She was told that she could take nopal capsules and that might help but that, to receive any benefits from that substance she needed to take six capsules a day. She also told her that"red rice" from China was beneficial in lowering cholesteral and could be bought locally in the Guadalajara/Lake Chapala area. We have yet to look for that since, at the moment, we are on a low carb diet.

I found, in addition to the Nopalinasa, Soriana had nopal gelcaps with a combination of dried nopal and soy oil and capsules of dried nopal fiber. Neither of these products, both of which are made in Mexico, claim any specific health benefits. Both disclaim that they are medicinal in nature and warn that you ingest them at your own risk.

While I have low cholesteral, I just might take a nopal supplement or even Nopalinasa once I am more comfortable with what, exactly, flaxseed is and what its benefits and drawbacks are.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 2, 2005, 6:49 AM)

ignacio

Apr 2, 2005, 12:04 PM

Post #23 of 32 (6835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] statin meds in Mexico

The nopalinaza is sold at our Wall Mart here in Veracruz in two varieties, one which comes from Canada (more expensive) and another which is made locally here in Mexico, both go by the same generic name of nopalinaza. The stuff is found NOT inside the Wall Mart Store, but on a store that is physically attached to the WallMart building, with its door next to the door or Wall Mart, so it may not be their store, I´ll ask them about it.

My wife tells me that is a store within Wall Mart, but probably NOT one of theirs, since she said that the price of the Nopalinasa varies depending who is at their counter ! from 35 to 70 pesos for the same product. (should have checked with her before I made the earlier post). At any rate, this store is one of them that sells all kind of naturist stuff, vitamins, and the like.

(This post was edited by ignacio on Apr 2, 2005, 1:11 PM)

Camille

Apr 2, 2005, 6:18 PM

Post #24 of 32 (6799 views)

Shortcut

In Nayarit, and in Puerto Vallarta, we have Farmacias Similares, which sell generic meds. I understand the chain is owned by a candidate for governor of Nayarit.
My arthritis medication, Meloxicam, which is made in Mexico, costs 300 pesos for ten tablets (yes!) at Sam's, and 55 pesos at Farmacia Similares.....
So the guy would definitely get my vote if I had one!
I tried to find a website, but someone who understands more about the Mexican web would probably have more luck....

Marlene

Apr 2, 2005, 8:05 PM

Post #25 of 32 (6788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] statin meds in Mexico

Here is the website. We have a few locations in Mazatlán and what we really like is that if we need a fast doctor visit for antibiotics or minor ailments, the fully qualified doctor on the premises charges only 20 pesos per visit.

They don't have all medicines in "similar" form, but if they do have what you need it is a great savings.

http://www.farmaciasdesimilares.com.mx/index.htm
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4