Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

2mexico

Mar 20, 2005, 8:04 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3453 views)

Shortcut

Validity of FM3 for travel?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Last June I obtained an FM3 at my local consulate, and registered it at my temporary address in Merida, Yucatan. I planned to relocate there - but my plans were delayed and after returning to the US a week later I have not been in Mexico now for nine months.

Now I want to visit Morelia, Michoacan. Will there be any problem using my FM3 for entry, given this history of presence (or lack thereof) in Mexico, and the local registration in Merida? When one has an FM3, is there any requirement for time spent in or our of the country during it's duration?

Also, is there any possibility that I might renew the FM3 during my visit to Morelia if that occurs within 30 days of the anniversary of the activation?

Finally, is the one-year renewal based on the time from the date of issuance of the FM3, or the activation/local registration date?

Thanks in advance for any help with these qustions.

-Stan

2mexico

Mar 20, 2005, 8:26 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Validity of FM3 for travel?

In reviewing other posts in this forum, I believe I have found partial answers to my questions...would still apprecitate validation though (Jennifer?), and have some additonal related questions:

I checked my FM3, and it was stamped at my consulate March 15th 04, and is valid only for 365 days from that period. As I did not get it renewed it is now expired. Was I bad for not notifying the iNAMI delegation in Merida, where i registered.

Do I now visit Mexico with an FMT from the plane, as though I never had an FM3? In the future, will I start from scratch to get a new FM3 when the time comes?

De nuevo, muchas gracias... -Stan

Rolly

Mar 20, 2005, 9:21 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3439 views)

Shortcut

Use your FM3 to return to Mexico to get it renewed. You will have to pay a fine, but the fine costs less than a new FM3. Go to INM as soon as you get to Mexico because the renewal process takes a few days.

The immigration guy at the airport is not going to check the dates on your FM3; and even if he does cach it, you can still get an FMT. Don't worry about it.

There is no out-of-country time limit on an FM3.

Rolly Pirate

2mexico

Mar 20, 2005, 1:28 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3407 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Validity of FM3 for travel?

OK, one more question on this subject. I may not get back to Merida for a while, as I want to visit another area first. Might it make sense for me to simply surrender my FM3 to the consulate here, travel on an FMT, and then start anew when the time comes? (I noted that Jennifer Rose said elsewhere that one should hang onto an expired FM3 for the time when one wished to resume the effort to become a resident - at that time presenting it to the consulate with an explanation).

Ideally the consulate will understand that I miscalculated and was unable to follow through with the relocation the first time around, and allow me to use my one-time Menaje on the second go-around.

I feel very foolish for not getting this right the first time, and hope I can have an opportunity to get it right when we are actually ready to move. I used the address of a friend I stayed with to register the FM3 initially - this time I will wait until we buy a place of our own to obtain one.

If I can't get the Menaje, I guess we will just need to be more ruthless in paring down stuff, and maybe be subject to customs duty on what we can't part with.

I am so grateful for advice received here - thanks again.

-Stan

Carron

Mar 20, 2005, 2:57 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3392 views)

Shortcut

My question is WHY do you have an FM3 if you do not live or work in Mexico permanently. The reason for an FM3 is because you have a permanent address in Mexico and don't travel back and forth out of the country more than a few times a year. Sounds like an FMT would meet your needs better.

2mexico

Mar 20, 2005, 4:54 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Validity of FM3 for travel?

It's a little complicated, but we actually sold our house and were ready to move to Merida when our plans changed rather abruptly. In hindsite we should have simply worked with the FMT until we were actually ready to process the menaje de casa. We thought we were on our way there....

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4