Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

2mexico

Mar 20, 2005, 7:58 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1579 views)

Shortcut

Un-Activated FM3 Question...

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have several questions about FM3 status - I will split them into two posts.

A friend and I got a little ahead of ourselves as we prepared to retire early and relocate to Merida, Yucatan. We both went to the San Francisco, CA Mexican consulate and obtained FM3 visas. I activated mine in Merida, but my friend did not activate his - although he used it to enter Mexico one time for a one-week trip.

As things turned out, we did not relocate then. Now we are coming up on one year later, and still plan to buy a place in Mexico at any time and relocate within a year. The questions:

1 (a). Can my friend proceed as though he does not have the FM3, and just get an FMT on the plane and use it for entry next time he visits? He assumes he will need to start the FM3 process from scratch at some point. Will the previous issuance be of any consequence when he does this? If he goes through customs with an FMT will they note on the computer that he has an issued but invalid FM3?

1 (b). Since he never activated the FM3, when he gets a new one, can he still be eligible for a Menaje de Casa - or does the sixth month use-it-or-lose-it privilege start with the original issuance - even if that FM3 is never registered locally? We are hoping there is some flexibility here - maybe depends on our local consulate? Should I go there and inquire?

Thanks to all for any assistance...
-Stan

Rolly

Mar 20, 2005, 9:30 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Un-Activated FM3 Question...

Your friend can use an FMT without fear of attracting any notice of a previous FM3. FMTs are not in the computer. He can also use his expired, unregistered FM3 as I told you in your other post.

He needs to go to the SF consulate and ask those other questions. If they will issue him a new FM3, it will save him some money because the fine for not registering his FM3 is 3,000 pesos plus the fine for being late on the renewal -- that adds up to more than the cost of a new FM3. But it is up to the consulate to decide what to do.

The same applies to the menaje question -- it's up to the consulate.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 20, 2005, 9:39 AM)

2mexico

Mar 20, 2005, 11:13 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Un-Activated FM3 Question...

Thanks for the quick and informative replies to my questions, Rolly.

So you are saying that because he did not go to local Merida immigration and register an address, there is a fine specifically for that? He has said that at this point he will probably just travel on FMT's until we buy a place, then get his FM3 in Mexico. I guess the same local discretionary options (for fines and practices) will apply there, but of course the Menaje de Casa will be out of the question unless issued here in the States at our local consulate.

We are planning to lighten up so much on belongings a Menaje may not be relevant any more in any event. Mostly books and photos... We shall see.

-Stan

Rolly

Mar 20, 2005, 11:20 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Un-Activated FM3 Question...

The 3,000 peso fine for failing to register within the first 30 days is in the law.

If he is not going to deal with the FM3 renewal now, he should go to the SF consulate and formally turn in his FM3 to get it officially off the books.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4