Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Hoody

Mar 16, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2556 views)

Shortcut

VW Bug Convertible

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will probably be moving to Lake Chapala area by the end of the year. I'm wondering if A VW Bug convertible is a safe car to have in Mexico, especially driving across the border? Does the Mexican gas work in a 2003 bug? Is there VW service in Lake Capala area?

Ed and Fran

Mar 16, 2005, 9:10 AM

Post #2 of 16 (2550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hoody] VW Bug Convertible

Does the Mexican gas work in a 2003 bug? Is there VW service in Lake Capala area?

"Mexican gas"? What kind of exotic fuel mixture are you using in it now? We've got regular unleaded and premium unleaded. Need something else?

Unless they've recently stopped, they manufacture them here in Puebla.

I'd venture to say there's VW service in all parts of Mexico.

Regards

E&F

Hoody

Mar 16, 2005, 9:14 AM

Post #3 of 16 (2549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] VW Bug Convertible

I didn't mean to insult you guys by asking a "stupid" question. I'm new to this and scared.
Judy Teel

Ed and Fran

Mar 16, 2005, 10:29 AM

Post #4 of 16 (2544 views)

Shortcut

My fault, sorry I used that tone with you. I let myself get in a bad frame after reading some other thread. I should have recognized that you're new around here.

Everyone has to start somewhere. There really aren't stupid questions.

Nothing to be particularly scared about. Come down for a visit first and look around. Yeah, you can drive your convertable bug down here, it will fit in fine.

Regards

E&F

Bear

Mar 16, 2005, 11:27 AM

Post #5 of 16 (2537 views)

Shortcut

Any VW is great to drive in Mexico. The parts, service and mechanics are plentiful throughout Mexico. Until
recently the VW Sedan was the best selling auto here.
Tsuru is currently number one.

Texwheel

Mar 16, 2005, 2:38 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frank fundaro] VW Bug Convertible

Frank, I'm a newbie, also...what's a Tsuru?
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

hoyafb95

Mar 16, 2005, 3:06 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] VW Bug Convertible

Tsuru is a small-boxed shaped Nissan similar to and old Sentra,

http://mx.autos.yahoo.com/...com=0&cid=639270

The only thing I will say about gas is that I will not touch the Magna, regular unleaded, except in an emergency. The stuff smells from high sulfur content and makes my SUV run terrible.

Ed and Fran

Mar 16, 2005, 4:03 PM

Post #8 of 16 (2499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hoyafb95] VW Bug Convertible

Just a bit of a synchronicity here. I haven't seen many of the new beetles around here at all, for whatever reason. But this afternoon, driving towards town, I was passed by a new VW bug, and a convertible at that.

Fate or coincidence?

Regards

E&F

Texwheel

Mar 16, 2005, 6:17 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2483 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for the information on the Tsuru. Tom.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

gpk

Mar 17, 2005, 7:10 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2457 views)

Shortcut

Obviously, a convertible is more at risk of being stolen anywhere in the world.

Marta R

Mar 17, 2005, 4:32 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2429 views)

Shortcut

We rented a Tsuru once in Cabo. When the woman at the counter told us the name of the car, I thought she said "tsurrus" (Yiddish for "trouble"), and discovered that I wasn't too far off the mark. But it was a rental car, with all that that implies.

Marta

patricio_lintz

Mar 17, 2005, 7:05 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisnmarta] VW Bug Convertible

TSURU is the car of choice for most of the taxis in the Guadalajara area. They have a reputation for rock solid reliability.

If anyone wants to sell an American legal VW convertible, please contact me! I would love to have one.

Texwheel

Mar 17, 2005, 9:56 PM

Post #13 of 16 (2395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] VW Bug Convertible

Why don't you contact a dealer via e-mail in Laredo, etc., or maybe San Antonio, Texas. I'm sure you could find one. It would be American plated, of course.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

hoyafb95

Mar 18, 2005, 6:53 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisnmarta] VW Bug Convertible

LOL.

When they sold the Chevy Nova here, there was similar confusion, no va means no go in Spanish.

hoyafb95

Mar 18, 2005, 6:57 AM

Post #15 of 16 (2384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] VW Bug Convertible

Better yet, you want an old Bug...but want to be faster than a Ferrari or a Porsche...they have turbocharged beetles down here. In the new Herbie movie shortly coming out you will see exactly what I mean. My buddies are at http://www.vochoweb.com/grillos/

I know many Americans who actually bring their U.S. Bugs down here and have them 'upgraded', not necessarily turbocharged, but with the latest equipment since I believe Volkswagen USA stopped selling them in 1978, and I think 1980 for the convertible.

MG Rabon

Mar 18, 2005, 10:18 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2365 views)

Shortcut

The Nissan Tsuru is the same car as the 90-94 Nissan Sentra that was sold in the US, still in production in Mexico sans airbag. They are said to be good cars but I managed to kill 2 brand new rentals in one week of hard driving in Mexico last year. They are probably better suited for stop-and-go urban traffic (as is the Vocho) than for white-nuckle high-speed passing maneuvers on the 2 lane sections of the Autopista. Not very comfy either if you are either tall or broad about the beam.

From what I've heard the New Beetle isn't a great car, but as it is based on the Golf and Jetta chassis you'll have no problem getting it worked on here in Mexico when it dies.

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4