Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

talosian

Mar 15, 2005, 5:07 PM

Post #1 of 24 (2058 views)

Shortcut

Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
I noticed today that my receipts from Soriana bear a notation "Redondeo por la Eduacion" with a charge to my bill after it. I have looked in three dictionaries and don't find the word "Redondeo" in any of them. It seems to be a tax or surcharge for education but I don't know for sure.

Any help on the word here?

Thanks.

Spock
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

MG Rabon

Mar 15, 2005, 5:35 PM

Post #2 of 24 (2045 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
Redondear means to round off numerically.

Perhaps they round up and apply the overage to education?

Compórtate bien, y si no puedes, invítame!
MG Rabon

talosian

Mar 15, 2005, 5:55 PM

Post #3 of 24 (2034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MG Rabon] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
If that's true, then they always round up and never down (like cell phone minutes). I have tried to see if it is a percentage, but it is not. I now see all the grocery bills do end with an even number of Pesos and not any centavos. If this is the case, is that a Government thing of just the market?

Spock
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

Ed and Fran

Mar 15, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #4 of 24 (2033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MG Rabon] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
It's a campaign to raise funds, I'm pretty sure it goes towards providing materials to needy schools. Pretty sure it's a privately run (charitable organization as opposed to government) program. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or year round. In Chedraui, they always ask me, after telling me the total of the bill, if I want to round it up.

I actually can't usually figure out what they're asking because they say it so fast. But Fran told me once about it so now I know to expect it, and just nod.

Some of the things you buy in the market may indeed have iva included. Not necessarily grocweries, but some hard goods or other item. Even so, the iva is already included in the price. But your receipt will show it if there was any.

Regards

Ed

esperanza

Mar 15, 2005, 6:41 PM

Post #5 of 24 (2020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
They also ask if they can round up your bill at Gigante, for exactly the same stated reason: a donation to education. It's usually only a few centavos. One centavo is more or less equivalent to a US cent.

There is no tax on food purchased in a grocery store to prepare at home.

Talosian, look in your dictionary for redondear. That's the verb form of redondeo.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

johanson

Mar 15, 2005, 7:09 PM

Post #6 of 24 (2006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
Yes as Esperanza assumed, the lady at the register at Sorianas told me that they round up to the nearest as I recollect 10 centavos or was it a peso and the extra money collected goes to or for education. She asked me what I thought the NOB persons thought of the idea, and I said, that it sure sounded great to me.

Why did she ask me that? It was one of the first days the store was open and I was helping her with some English translations.

talosian

Mar 15, 2005, 7:11 PM

Post #7 of 24 (2006 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have no objection whatsoever to giving some centavos to the schools, Red Cross, etc. but I should be asked first. If that is in fact what it is, I don't like it for the reason stated. Ask me and I'll give twice the amount, but don't take it without asking.

Spock.

esperanza

Mar 15, 2005, 7:14 PM

Post #8 of 24 (2006 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Talosian, it's entirely possible that the checker did ask you--in Spanish--and that you didn't understand what he/she said.

Geez, what a lot of ruckus over a few pennies. You must be from Monterrey.

johanson

Mar 15, 2005, 7:19 PM

Post #9 of 24 (2002 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
One of the things the head cashier asked me to translate was a message explaining the rounding up at Soreanas. I did, but I never saw the note or message I translated.

Ed and Fran

Mar 15, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #10 of 24 (1997 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Esperanza posted:

Talosian, it's entirely possible that the checker did ask you--in Spanish--and that you didn't understand what he/she said.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Like I said in my post, I don't really catch it, I just know that they're asking me that. And my Spanish is pretty good.

Regards

Ed

Marlene

Mar 15, 2005, 10:30 PM

Post #11 of 24 (1969 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Geez, what a lot of ruckus over a few pennies. You must be from Monterrey

So this confirms the rumor that only canoes tip in Monterrey too? ROFL

Carron

Mar 16, 2005, 7:28 AM

Post #12 of 24 (1944 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We shop at Soriana also. I have never noticed the rounding up at the regular grocery check-out, but their liquor department is separate and about every six months they routinely have a fundraising campaign for a local charity during which they automatically add a peso to the price of a bottle. The name of the charity and the amount is clearly printed on the cash register receipt. One time it was for one of our area hospitals, another for our fire department.

I think it is a good idea. Since I can buy a liter+small flask of brandy there for around 38 pesos, I sure don't mind paying 39 from time to time!

Bubba

Mar 16, 2005, 8:45 AM

Post #13 of 24 (1932 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
What Talosian says is incorrect. All grocery bills do not round to pesos. It is common, in my experience, that centavos are rounded to the nearest 10 centavo piece because that is the lowest form of effectivo circulating in the market. Some markets may round to the nearest peso for charitable drives and this rounding is programmed into the store's computers in the case of a supermarket such as Soriana. It is more than hilarious to think of the cashier asking permission from some miserly fuddy duddy to extract this miniscule contribution to a local charity from his change due.

Let's see, 10 centavos is about 1/10th of a peso which, in turn, is worth about $0.089USD. Therefore, 10 centavos is worth $0.0089USD or less than 1/10th of a penny. And, bear in mind that we are talking about rounding fractions of 10 centavo pieces. Let's say my bill is 9.45 Pesos and I give them a 10 Peso coin. I get back a 50 Centavo coin in change. Therefore, I have been shortchanged by five Centavos or 1/20 of one 0.89ths of a U.S. Cent.

Esperanza is right, I believe, that groceries taken home to process in one's kitchen are not subject to the IVA at the final point of sale. If one buys various types of items at a superstore, one will find the IVA assessed on only those items subject to the IVA. That is a bit misleading in my view since the IVA may be assessed at any number of points in the manufacturing and distribution process. I don't know how this works in Mexico but if this tax is assessed in a manner consistent with the value added tax in Europe, then each step in processing an item is taxed based upon incremental value added during the process. Likewise, if a manufacturer has to pay an IVA on machinery & equipment needed to manufacture an item, that adds to the manufacturer's costs and, in turn, the manufacturer's prices in order to achieve a necessary margin at sale.

At least Soriana disclosed its extraction and subsequent charitable donation of Talosian's meager change due. Meanwhile, the Mexican government had its hand in the till many times all the way from the seed in the milpa to the cornflake in his breakfast bowl. This was serious money and they never disclosed nothin',nohow, noway. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

Ed and Fran

Mar 16, 2005, 9:04 AM

Post #14 of 24 (1926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
Bubba: It is more than hilarious to think of the cashier asking permission from some miserly fuddy duddy to extract this miniscule contribution to a local charity from his change due.

It may be hilarious to you, but that's exactly what the cashiers at Chedraui do. There's a separate key to hit for the rounding. If you say 'no' you get the exact bill without the rounding up. It's not pre-programmed in.

Can't speak for what they do up in your next of the woods.

E&F

esperanza

Mar 16, 2005, 9:49 AM

Post #15 of 24 (1919 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The hilarious part is thinking about the old fuddy duddy complaining about his 1/10th of a penny.

The groceries in these parts always ask, even though some folks have no idea what they're being asked. The first time I was asked, I didn't know either--not that I didn't understand what was being asked, I just didn't know about the program and had to ask what it was.

Bubba

Mar 16, 2005, 1:37 PM

Post #16 of 24 (1888 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I just got back from Soriana in Chapala and they neither rounded my purchase nor inquired of me if it was OK for them to do so. Remember that Talosian, who is admittedly a relative novice at living in Mexico and has limited experience,started all this with the assertion that ALL grocers round up when giving change. Nothing could be further from the truth. Grocers do round to the nearest 10 Centavos because that is the smallest coin in circulation. I've actually never:
(1) had a grocer ask me if they could round up to the nearest peso or, alternatively,
(2) never noticed them rounding to the nearest peso which begs the question, that, if they are rounding to the nearest peso, why is my chest of drawers so full of 10, 20 and 50 centavo coins that I simply cannot seem to get rid of?

Here I am living in a place where my sole community support requirement is a ludicrously small tax bill, I am able to afford domestic help to take care of my every need at a tiny fraction of what it would cost me in the U.S. and my overall cost of living for all things I need is, at most, 1/4th of what my cost of living was in the San Francisco Bay Area. The day I start fixating on fractions of a unit of coinage worth less than a U.S. dime taken from me as meager support for local school kids is the day I check into rehab.

And, by the way, I just got back from a vacation in Playa del Carmen where Chedraui is the only real superstore in town. What a dreadful retailer. Rotten vegetables with no pride of display, putrid and despoiled fish and shellfish a couple of blocks from the Caribbean, virtually no gourmet food items and surly personnel. Unfortunately, Chedraui just bought out the French super store chains Carrefour and Auchan both of whom just gave up and fled the Mexican market in the wake of the WalMart juggernaut. That means we will soon have these amateurishly managed Chedraui stores in Guadalajara. They may do well in certain backwaters (as does the even worse San Francisco de Asis chain over there as well) but Guadalajara retailers will steal their shorts.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 16, 2005, 1:40 PM)

Ed and Fran

Mar 16, 2005, 4:19 PM

Post #17 of 24 (1861 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
That means we will soon have these amateurishly managed Chedraui stores in Guadalajara. They may do well in certain backwaters...

Yup, we've got 'em down here. And a large section of the local populace (me and the in-laws included) seems happy that we do. You know, out here in the lesser provinces we just have to scratch along with whatever bone we get thrown.

Geez, now you've got me concerned. Is it okay if pathetic old Chedraui customers like me from out here in the backwaters of the country post on the same forum as you gourmet section shoppers from up the hill? Or should I find a lower class forum to hang out at?

Sheesh

E

bournemouth

Mar 16, 2005, 5:27 PM

Post #18 of 24 (1849 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You know Bubba, the majority of the world manages without "gourmet" foods - maybe you should try for awhile - be a little less elitist - you won't die of starvation.

johanson

Mar 16, 2005, 6:16 PM

Post #19 of 24 (1837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
Remember to Bubba's credit, he loves Burger King Whoppers.

bdlngton

Mar 16, 2005, 8:47 PM

Post #20 of 24 (1810 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
By "putrid and despoiled fish and shellfish a couple of blocks from the Caribbean" do you mean that the fish are not only decomposed but also plundered or stolen?
Susy

Kip

Mar 16, 2005, 8:56 PM

Post #21 of 24 (1808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdlngton] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
Badda Bing!!

Kip
kip

bdlngton

Mar 16, 2005, 9:43 PM

Post #22 of 24 (1795 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Would you be so kind as to quote exactly where Talosian says "that ALL grocers round up when giving change"? In reading his posts in this thread, I do not see that he said that. He did mention his receipts from Sorianas, which he said appeared to have been rounded to an even peso . He also said that it appeared that they rounded up. My assumption is that the antecedent of "they" in this statement is Sorianas. I must be missing something in my reading of his posts and would greatly appreciate your clarification of this point.

I am also unclear as to why Talosian's being a "relative novice at living in Mexico" and having "limited experience" is relevant to this topic. Almost all subscribers were novices at living in Mexico at one time. Some do have more experience than others. Some have different experiences than others. I was under the impression that the primary function of this forum was for people to ask and answer questions. Often is is the novice asking and the more experienced subscriber answering, based on his/her own experiences.

If by stating that Talosian "started all this" you mean to imply that a subscriber cannot start a thread by asking a question, I would then ask how a thread does start and who can start one.
Susy

bournemouth

Mar 17, 2005, 7:07 AM

Post #23 of 24 (1768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bdlngton] Is there a tax on groceries?

| Private Reply
We all need to remember that Bubba just likes to stir things up - in some warped way he seems to derive amusement from our responses. Personally, I find it rather an ugly trait and one he probably wouldn't indulge in if he was face to face with the other person. In which case, if my supposition is correct, is also rather cowardly.

gpk

Mar 17, 2005, 7:12 AM

Post #24 of 24 (1764 views)

Shortcut

Time to lock this thread...

| Private Reply
Time to lock this thread...the BS is getting too thick.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4