Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Carol Schmidt

Mar 15, 2005, 1:04 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1763 views)

Shortcut

"Today" show segment never happened, but this did

Can't Post | Private Reply
I taped the three-hour "Today" show this morning and ran through it this afternoon to find nothing on San Miguel. So I'll tape it the next few days and see if the segment happens later. The rumor was that NBC taped in SMA a week or so ago for a segment to run today.

Meanwhile, Brian did post the Dallas newspaper article below on SMA on another list. I'll give the first few paragraphs--you have to register with the Dallas paper to get the entire article. I think I'll put the snip on the General forum as well since it applies to all of Mexico.

Carol Schmidt
Little Americas take hold across Mexico
More U.S. citizens putting down roots south of the border

By ALFREDO CORCHADO and LAURENCE ILIFF / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/...anization.42380.html

>MEXICO CITY – The day after the U.S. presidential election, Jim and Joan Marker left for a scheduled vacation in San Miguel de Allende, central Mexico.
>Now they've decided they'd like to live there permanently.
>The Alabama couple is among the many United States citizens who have been going south, for adventure or a new life. The decades-long trend has gathered steam in recent years, statistics show, and Mexico is now undergoing a sustained Americanization, with Americans buying more property, seeking permanent residency and congregating in enclaves that seem like home abroad.
The U.S. State Department estimates that the number of Americans in Mexico has increased from about 200,000 a decade ago to between 600,000 and 1 million today.
>"Fifty percent of my clients are Americans," said Enrique Riquelme, owner of the ReMax real estate firm in Playa del Carmen, a town near Cancún that once was a haven for youthful Europeans.
"The people who are buying here are three or four years away from retirement ... although there are also a lot of younger people coming – 38 to 40 years old – looking for a place to rest or get out of the cold."
>Analysts say the influx of Americans is fueled by such factors as a lower cost of living, more affordable housing, warm weather, a more relaxed pace of life and a different political atmosphere.
More than 76 million American baby boomers are expected to reach retirement age in the next 20 years, and 25 percent of them have no health insurance or savings, according to an AARP report.
A significant number of those future retirees will likely be heading south, said Viviana Rojas, a researcher at the University of Texas in San Antonio.
>"Mexico makes them feel younger, connected again and re-energized," Ms. Rojas said.
Up to 10 million Americans live abroad, according to U.S. Census Bureau figures....>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4