Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Nancy Boyd

Mar 13, 2005, 8:26 PM

Post #1 of 18 (1608 views)

Shortcut

Vonage and I connect here

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been told by Vonage that it does not work with a wireless connection. Is the same true of Iconnecthere?

Many thanks.

johanson

Mar 13, 2005, 9:22 PM

Post #2 of 18 (1580 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy Boyd] Vonage and I connect here

Whoever told you that Vonage doesn't work with Wireless doesn't know what he is talking about. Of course it works with wireless. Why wouldn't it work with wireless? If my response sounds rude, please forgive me, but who ever told you that doesn't know very much. You might find it interesting to know that one of the first persons to use Vonage in Ajijic was our own web jefe. David . He has a wireless connection.

Perhaps one quarter of the folks who have wireless connections with Lagunanet, for example use Vonage. Others use Packet8, IconnectHere, etc.

Nancy Boyd

Mar 14, 2005, 4:25 AM

Post #3 of 18 (1569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Vonage and I connect here

I called Vonage three different times from the States to see if I would get the same answer. All three told me it would not work with wireless. They told me I needed cable or DSL for it to work.

So, let's see what else they did or did not get correct. I was told if I brought an adapter down I could register online. I was told that I was to chose an area code in the U.S. Once I did, I could call anyone in that area code for the monthly price of Vonage as often and as long as I wanted. I was also told anyone from that area code could call me in Mexico free of charge even if they did not have Vonage.

Thanks for the info. It is hard trying to get it worked out from this side. I leave tomorrow for Ajijic.

Jerry@Ajijic

Mar 14, 2005, 6:26 AM

Post #4 of 18 (1553 views)

Shortcut

Nancy, you can register on line, we did. As for the us phone number we chose one in San Antonio Texas. When someone in the US or Canada wants us they dial this number and it rings here. This means they are just having to pay for a call in the US or Canada instead of to Mexico. After we answer we then call them back and from then on it is free. In the case of our 2 daughters, one in Fla. and one in Calgary, we have assigned them a local number (one in Calgara and one in Orlando). All they do is pick up their phone and dial a local number, this costs them nothing and it rings here.We love it.

1ajijic

Mar 14, 2005, 7:56 AM

Post #5 of 18 (1527 views)

Shortcut

I have a friend in Los Arroyos who can't get her Vonage to work and can't get her local service provider to help her. You may need help to get it done.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Nancy Boyd

Mar 14, 2005, 7:58 AM

Post #6 of 18 (1528 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Vonage and I connect here

Please bear with me as I ask a few questions. Can we use Vonage with a cell phone? We don't expect to be able to get a land line for months. Once we get a land line can we switch our number to the land line number from the cell phone number?

rjkveton

Mar 14, 2005, 8:28 AM

Post #7 of 18 (1522 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by using Vonage with a cell phone. As far as I know there is no way to interface the two. For Vonage you get a separate "black box" that would be plugged into one of the ethernet ports of a router. Think of this black box as another computer with a dedicated purpose, which is to service the phone handset unit that then gets plugged into it. You do not need a regular land line phone to make this work, only a broadband internet connection which could be wireless, cable, or dsl.

If your question is whether you can receive and make Vonage phone calls over your cell phone, I think the answer is no.

Nancy Boyd

Mar 14, 2005, 9:14 AM

Post #8 of 18 (1509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rjkveton] Vonage and I connect here

You all are so incredibly helpful.

So, let me see if I understand this.

Can't use with a cell phone.

To use Vonage all I need is a phone instrument (not connected to a land line yet - just sitting useless on a desk) and a wireless (our preference) connection to the Internet along with the Vonage adapter. If this is accurate you've made my month.

johanson

Mar 14, 2005, 11:27 AM

Post #9 of 18 (1483 views)

Shortcut

Nancy: When I re-read my post even though I said I did not mean to sound rude, I think I did sound rude. Again sorry about that.

VoIP is getting more and more popular. So popular that some of the telephone companies are beginning to feel the negative effects of same. It has been suggested by some on other forums that just maybe VoIP packets will be given lower priority than other packets and that the sound quality of VoIP phone calls will greatly decrease sometime in the new future.

I am not an expert on the subject. I just know that I am going to keep my call back service as a backup.

Papirex

Mar 14, 2005, 3:31 PM

Post #10 of 18 (1442 views)

Shortcut

Yes, all you need for Vonage to work is a broadband Internet connection and a conventional phone, there is no way to connect a cell phone to the adapter. If you go to the Vonage home page http://www.vonage.com/index.php?refer_id=27400178 and click on the help button, there are some good instructions there on how to connect the unit, you will also receive good illustrations and instructions with the Vonage adapter when you get it.

I connected a cordless phone to our Vonage adapter. We bought a set of two cordless phones for it. One of the cordless phones is the master, the second is a slave. The base of the slave is just a charger, the phone gets its signal from the master phone. I connected the master phone to the Vonage adapter with a phone wire.

We bought the set of two cordless phones because our cable Internet modem and router are upstairs. If the Vonage phone rings, we can answer it when we are downstairs where the slave phone is. I changed the ring tone on the cordless phones so we can tell when it is a Vonage call, and when it is our regular Telmex phone ringing.

Since you wonít have a land line phone for a while, another advantage to using Vonage is that you can make calls to Mexican phones using Vonage. They will all be toll calls, but the prices are lower than Telmex charges. We live in Cuernavaca, my wife is from Mexico City, and she has family and friends all over the country too. She makes many calls to Mexico and other cities in this country.

I havenít done the math lately, but the last time I did, Telmex was charging us about 13 Ĺ US Cents per minute for calls from Cuernavaca to Mexico. Vonage charges us 6 US Cents per minute, even though the call is routed through the United States. My Telmex bill used to average about $950 Pesos per month. Since getting Vonage, it has dropped to about $ 450 Pesos per month. The savings there make Vonage virtually free to me, in fact I am saving money overall. We can also call our son in London, and our niece in Germany for 2 US Cents per minute now. We make many more calls to The United States and other foreign countries now than we did before.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Marcia Jewell Willows

Mar 17, 2005, 2:45 PM

Post #11 of 18 (1346 views)

Shortcut

There's wireless and there's wireless, depending on which parts are wireless. Vonage, Lingo and most VoIP solutions need to plug into a modem or router (and yes, you could plug into a wireless router) and need a broadband connection. The reason for this post, though, is not to rehash this but to note a new (to me) offering from Viper Networks. I have no experience with it, but the company offers several VoIP solutions using dial-up and plugs into your PC using a USB port. I'd be interested in any feedback from users: if the voice quality is there it could be great news for Lakesiders who have to live with dial-up.
MJW

johanson

Mar 17, 2005, 5:55 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [The Willows] Vonage and I connect here

Willows: Check the previous posts by Esperanza. We she live here in Ajijic, she reported that she had very good luck using IconnectHere over a dialup prodigy account.

I know other folks who live a little farther out of town, and I presume who have slower dial up connections because of poorer line quality, who were not as lucky as Esperanza

Jerry@Ajijic

Mar 17, 2005, 8:38 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1296 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Vonage and I connect here

We use telmex DSL for vonage and love it. If anyone wants to try it out and see for themselves what the quality of the service is, give us a Email and we would be glad to have them come try ours.

Marlene

Mar 18, 2005, 4:26 PM

Post #14 of 18 (1244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Vonage and I connect here

I am thinking the folks using Vonage with Telmex DSL in Mazatlan would love to come over and use your service. It seems Telmex has blocked the ports necessary to use the service in this area and more than a few local residents are ticked off.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Mar 18, 2005, 10:37 PM

Post #15 of 18 (1216 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] TelMex appears to be messin' with Vonage in southern Baja, too

It appears TelMex is making life difficult for Vonage subscribers in southern Baja, too:

after harrassing prodigy today they finally admitted that they are intentionally blocking and slowing uploads on their service to stop people from using any VOIP internet phone service. does anyone have a way around this? i refuse to give telmex more money then i already do...

More here:
http://math.ucr.edu/.../messages/16593.html

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

Chumley

Mar 20, 2005, 5:28 AM

Post #16 of 18 (1163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimpatsu_hekigan] TelMex appears to be messin' with Vonage in southern Baja, too

Can't Post |
Just a thought, because I'm not sure how Telmex may be doing what you say they are, but although I too use Telmex DSL Infinitium (sp?), my computer guru did not load the Prodigy software that came with the modem, and instead I go direct to AOL when I sign on. Could it be that Telmex hid spyware software in the Prodigy program to detect and destroy VOIP systems like Vonage? Just speculating.

johanson

Mar 20, 2005, 7:47 AM

Post #17 of 18 (1147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] TelMex appears to be messin' with Vonage in southern Baja, too

One very easy way to ensure that a VoIP connection will sound bad is to decrease the upload speed for example. And often my Prodigy Infinitum broadband upload speed is only 60 kb/sec. But even with higher speeds it is possible to make things difficult for the VoIP users by treating their information packets as second class citizens and not routing them as rapidly as they used to be routed.

I cut and pasted this address from another forum. It was provided by Sparks a techy from Seattle

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050303.html

I think you will find it interesting

Chumley

Mar 21, 2005, 5:01 AM

Post #18 of 18 (1113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] TelMex appears to be messin' with Vonage in southern Baja, too

Can't Post |
A very interesting article, if a little too technical for me, but the implications are not good. Knowing that Carlos Slim loves to make money, I don't doubt for a moment that he has his people working on his own VOiP system as described in the article, giving his customers preferential treatment, and those of us simply using his DSL to piggyback our long distance phone calls to the world will be left out in the cold because his "best effort" tags to our traffic will be nothing at all.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4