Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum


Mar 8, 2005, 9:23 PM

Post #1 of 3 (871 views)


A Legal question

Can't Post | Private Reply
A friend of mine has dual citizenship and currently lives in Mexico.There is a money judgement (in the US) against him, can the US enforce that judgement in Mexico?


Mar 9, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #2 of 3 (859 views)


Re: [mlflores] A Legal question

Can't Post | Private Reply
Sorry, but I think your friend needs an attorney in The US. Not the opinions of the members of a message board in Mexico, of which he is not a member.

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo


Mar 9, 2005, 5:54 AM

Post #3 of 3 (835 views)


Re: [mlflores] A Legal question

Can't Post | Private Reply
As you might guess, this is a very complicated question. I am a lawyer in the US and dealt with some of this stuff in the course of an international M&A practice. The short answer is yes/depending, using something called a letter rogatory and related jurisdiction/enforcement processes. It's a lot of effort and pretty expensive though, given the cross-border legal isses. Unless the judgment is a large one, it might not be worth it to the holder. But Rex is right, your friend really needs to get a lawyer who is experienced in these issues, as they will involve both US and Mexican legal regimes.

Addendum: on reviewing upon posting, realized the above could be construed as a request for work, of which I wish to absolve myself - hated being a lawyer in the US, certainly have no desire to continue here in paradise.
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

(This post was edited by not_ally on Mar 9, 2005, 6:11 AM)
Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4