2dives

Mar 7, 2005, 9:03 AM

Post #1 of 9 (3180 views)

Shortcut

Media Luna - information

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola Friends,
My email: decompress2003@yahoo.com

Once or twice a year, for the last 7 years, my family and I travel to La Media Luna, RioVerde, SLP. It's a great place to kick back and enjoy some easy diving. It's recently been declared a Nature Preserve/Park. I've been trying to find information about any environmental studies done on Media Luna but have only been able to find one titled Ornitofauna Acuatica Y Riberena del Ecosistema de La Media Luna, 2000, Palacio-Nunez, et al. I do not get any response from the Ministry of Ecology. Can anyone out there help me with obtaining scientific information about Media Luna. Searches at Texas Universities do not produce any information. Thanks

Richard

jerezano

Mar 7, 2005, 7:17 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3117 views)

Shortcut

Re: [2dives] Media Luna - information

Hello, PLease go to the following http://www.tourbymexico.com/.../medluna/medluna.htm for a diving school at La Media Luna. If nothing else for the delight in reading the English translation of their advertisement. While it makes sense it sure is a different English. Enjoy!

JAdios, Jerezano.

2dives

Mar 8, 2005, 12:47 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3073 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Media Luna - information

Hi, Yes the English is a result of a direct translation. I am currently working with Ossiel, dive shop director at Media Luna, on a proper English translation for his current web sites. We should have the translation done in a few weeks. In the meantime, you may enjoy this site that Ossiel put together a few months ago - not in English www.buceomedialuna.com The dive school is actually 6 miles from Media Luna.
Thanks

Marta R

Mar 8, 2005, 4:22 PM

Post #4 of 9 (3053 views)

Shortcut

It's probably horribly incorrect for me to say so, but I rather hope the Media Luna site isn't put into good English. The site's English is charming and idiosyncratic just as it is, and makes me think that the people behind it are enthusiastic and kind.

Marta

2dives

Mar 14, 2005, 3:12 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chrisnmarta] Media Luna - information

Hi Marta, (reply kind of late, been to the valley)
Yes, I agree, it is charming and you are right-on about the enthusiasim and kindness of the people that run the dive school. But, they seek both English and Spanish speaking clientel, both amature and professional. Scuba diving is a science and requires excellent communications between teacher and student - it's a matter of safety. A future English speaking student may have concerns about language resulting in fear she may not be able to communicate adequately with the instructor. Don't get me wrong, after taking classes at Media Luna, I can't remember any communication problems - it comes down to the impression the site may leave with future customers. The dive school wants the translation to leave a professional impression with both Spanish and English customers.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure I can keep the enthusiasim and kindness in the translation but if you have some ideas about maintaining the charm, please share them with me.
Rich

Marta R

Mar 15, 2005, 9:51 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2937 views)

Shortcut

Rich, your points are very well taken.

I think that if you keep the enthusiasm and kindness as goals in the translation, the charm will come along on its own. That's the thing about written charm: it's a side effect. When people try to do it deliberately (Ye Olde Tyre Shoppe) it gets raggedy and horrible and dumb.

Not that I have strong opinions on the matter. <insert smiley-face thingie here>

Marta

RosanaHart

Mar 26, 2005, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2880 views)

Shortcut

This is a little off topic but I just have to mention that a couple of months ago my husband and I spent the night at the dive shop's little RV park. The people there were most gracious and we greatly enjoyed our stay. Drove out to the lake and hiked around it. Richard, if your last name is Worfel, we found out about Media Luna from an article of yours, I forget on what website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rosana Hart
http://www.mexico-with-heart.com

2dives

Mar 28, 2005, 2:41 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2838 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hartworks] Media Luna - information

Hi Rosana,
Yes, that was my article. Hearing that someone was able to use it is really great news. A couple of hours east of ML along Hwy 70 is another favorite called "Puente de Dios" and a little bit further are the "Cascada de Tamul." I think both have RV spaces. Did you stay at either of them? I love the area and the somewhat easy-going attitudes of the folks within and around the Huasteca region.

My mothers maiden name is Hart. Any relatives in Michigan?

Rich Worfel

RosanaHart

Mar 28, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2824 views)

Shortcut

When we stayed at Media Luna, I printed out your article and gave it to the folks there, who were quite interested to see it. I've also given the link to a friend or two. So it's definitely had an effect! That's what I love about the internet -- you put things out and somebody finds them!

We had been camped for about 3 weeks over Christmas/New Year's near Cd. Valles at an old balneario called El Baņito. We didn't stop at the 2 places you mention but expect to sometime in the future -- an American friend and her Mexican husband are moving soon to a small town on Hwy 70 east of Rio Verde, and we stopped in there for a while, visiting their relatives.

I too really like the Huastecans.

No relatives in Michigan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rosana Hart
http://www.mexico-with-heart.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4