Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

nydiabarone

Mar 4, 2005, 1:55 PM

Post #1 of 16 (2158 views)

Shortcut

Spanish Programs

Can't Post | Private Reply
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Spanish School in the Lake Chapala area or Ajijic. I contacted 2 places but I think they closed down as I have not heard back from them. I would like to attend a good school (conversation and grammar) at the end of this year or January 06.
Thanks
NB

Bubba

Mar 4, 2005, 3:10 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nydiabarone] Spanish Programs

Do not come to this area for Spanish language schools as they are non-existent. There are a few very good individual Spanish teachers here and we use one but if you seek immersion I suggest Guadalajara or, even better, Antigua, Guatamala.

VSOP

Mar 4, 2005, 3:37 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Spanish Programs

Bubba, would you mind sharing the name of the language school in Antigua or, better yet, is there a website? ¡Muchísimas gracias!

No hay rosas sin espinas . . .

tonyburton

Mar 4, 2005, 4:11 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2126 views)

Shortcut

Language School in Chiapas

I'm not normally drawn to make personal recommendations for places, but, as I've posted on the Spanish Forum in another thread, the Instituto Jovel - http://www.institutojovel.com/home.html - in Chiapas is my number one recommendation for language classes and homestay in Mexico. My very difficult-to-please daughter and a friend attended classes there last summer and both professed themselves to be completely satisfied that the classes, tuition and homestay could not possibly have been any better anywhere else.

Bubba

Mar 4, 2005, 4:21 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VSOP] Spanish Programs

VSOP:

There are a large number of Spanish language schools in Antigua. You will find them on the internet. This is perhaps one of the most beautiful cities in all of Latin America and some of the schools are in incredible surroundings. Typically, you study there a few hours a day and then stay with a local family that speaks only Spanish with you. Since you are quite familiar with Latin America and Bubba's home state of Alabama, I want you to know that I kid you not.

I'll be heading to Antigua next year to do this. Let me know when you are going and maybe I'll buy you a beer.

I can drive from Lake Chapala to Antigua with very little hassle. I'll need a case of XX.

Bubba

Mar 4, 2005, 4:24 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Language School in Chiapas

Tony's recommendation in Chiapas also sounds great. Chiapas is my favorite place on the planet.

VSOP

Mar 4, 2005, 11:04 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2085 views)

Shortcut

Thanks to Bubba & Tony for the suggestions re Antigua and Chiapas. Have never been to either, so will reseach -- which is exactly what I was hoping YOU had done for me, Bubba! You know I'm a Southerner now and have grown quite lazy. Btw, did you see yesterday's (3/4) SF Chronicle on-line? Had an interesting, if somewhat embarrassing, article on Alabama. I'm so glad I'm not confined in-state!

(This post was edited by VSOP on Mar 4, 2005, 11:15 PM)

Bubba

Mar 5, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2042 views)

Shortcut

VSOP:

I presume yoiu mean the Chronicle article on the outlawing of sex toys and dildos in Alabama with the penalty for violation of said law being 10 years in prison. This is pretty funny in a state where infidelity is second only to football in popularity. All those Betty Sues up there in those trailer parks are already so oversexed that the authorities are afraid those devices may prove lethal if used as stimulants.

Reminds me of the reason Baptists never make love standing up. Somebody might think they are dancing.

Get out of that uptight place and get on down to Guatamala or Chiapas for your Spanish lessons. My Spanish teacher tells me many southern students cain't hep but dipthong them Spanish words and it drives her up the wall to hear, " Buuanus Diius, y'hear"?

You make me awfully happy that I chose the Chapala Riviera for my retirement years when I "might could" have chosen the Redneck Riviera.

Bubba

Mar 5, 2005, 9:10 AM

Post #9 of 16 (2030 views)

Shortcut

There used to be a school in Antigua with great grounds overlooking the ruins of a convent. They also had 2 or 3 apartments you could rent on the grounds. The classes were all individual classes given in the garden. They could arrange home stay as well as all kinds of excursions and classes such as cooking , tango etc.. They were located near the center of town and I believe had San Jose in their name. It looks like it may have moved and become Centro Linguistico International. Check the site www.123teachme.com

VSOP

Mar 5, 2005, 10:01 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2015 views)

Shortcut

First, if it weren't for my golf-addicted spouse (it's practically free here), I would probably have fled the Red immediately post-11/02/04, but sometimes you gotta grin 'n bear it. You know, when you're warm & happy in a pile of cow manure, sometimes it's best not to sing too loudly. Remember the sparrow. . . Btw, the Cat who wants to pounce on Social Security is headed to AUM this week and, no, I will not seek entrance to the event.

Second, thank you so much for sharing the Antigua info. Right now, I've got to drain the swamp, preparatory to a big alligator barbecue (yes, first we have to wrestle the 'gators down!) and then my fingers will be headed to Antigua, as well as the Chiapas website Tony Burton provided. Will let you, et al, know what I uncover.

nydiabarone

Mar 5, 2005, 6:21 PM

Post #11 of 16 (1967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Language School in Chiapas

Thank you for your help. I have contacted the school in San Cristobal. I also was thinking about Guanajuato as it is also a smaller town. I have studied in Antiqua and wanted to experience someplace different this time.
At the school I attended in Antiqua, the teachers didn't have much skill with methodology-understandable as they get paid very little and many have not attended high school themselves. If anyone has been to school in Guanajuato, please let me know. Thanks

johanson

Mar 5, 2005, 8:01 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1952 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nydiabarone] Language School in Chiapas

I was in Antigua during the summer of 2003 and then 9 years earlier. Sure there are some poorly trained individuals there. But there are also some very excellent programs there attended by persons from all over the world. Antigua is a fascinating place. It is much more European and the crowds often younger than what we see here lakeside.

I found a very good tutor who worked with me 4 hours per day. Not only was it a great learning experience, but a lot of fun as well. I shall probably go back again for another visit. I had a great time and learned a lot.

Uncle Donnie

Mar 5, 2005, 10:00 PM

Post #13 of 16 (1937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Language School in Chiapas

Can't Post |
All you 'Bama boys (and gals) should be in major mourning. Not only did the Supremes uphold the ban on battery-powered bedroom fun, the State Legislature denounced their earlier choice of the official state whiskey.

Seems the 'shiner sold a few cases to minors.

Actually, it wasn't a really big deal because the stuff was boiled up in another state. The bootlegger had convinced everyone but the governor (a W protege) to name his brew the official state hooch because he claimed that his dear ole grandaddy thought up the recipe while he was incarcerated in the Boiminham jail after being arrested for smugglin' semi-anatomically correct rubber mother's little helpers across state lines.

This DOES tie in to the original subject because there are many reports of users of both products speaking in foreign tongues prior to the ban and reversal.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

VSOP

Mar 6, 2005, 9:13 AM

Post #14 of 16 (1897 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Language School in Chiapas

Pete, Any ideas re how to discern between quality of schools prior to commitment? THKS.

VSOP

Mar 6, 2005, 9:26 AM

Post #15 of 16 (1894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] Language School in Chiapas

Uncle Donnie, I know I'm 'way late, but Congratulations on your book! Excellent!!! Unfortunately, I sent my own copy to my niece, so cannot check to see if you have info on language schools. Will, however, as soon as my new copy arrives. It is so good to see you up and running! Still gardening in Alabama . . . Miss Piggy

(This post was edited by VSOP on Mar 6, 2005, 11:13 AM)

johanson

Mar 6, 2005, 11:24 AM

Post #16 of 16 (1876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VSOP] Language School in Chiapas

Sadly I don't know how to find the right school in Antigua from up here. In my case, I wanted a private tutor, and I found him, once I got there

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4