Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

alcuban

Feb 27, 2005, 6:24 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2827 views)

Shortcut

"suburban" SMA

Can't Post | Private Reply
Are there any small towns/villages near SMA that would welcoming/accessible to Americans as far as moving there/renting or building a house? June will be our third trip to SMA and what has struck us is the rapidly growing congestion/expense of the place, beautiful as it is. We even managed to get a traffic ticket the last time, can't rembember for what. We were wondering if gringos were spreading out to the edges of SMA or nearby towns, to get some room and lower expenses. Someone mentioned "El Pozo" or something like that, but it sounded rather weird or dismal, can't remember which. Thank you.

Cynthia7

Feb 27, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alcuban] "suburban" SMA

Yes-there are many towns and villages in the state of Guanajuato. Are they welcoming gringos?? It depends on your fluency in Spanish and willingness to live with Mexicans in Mexico. Rolly - a gentleman that posts often on this website- does it with great pleasure and ease. Are you looking for economy or no English speaking folk? There are many all Mexican barrios in San Miguel where you can live, shop, garden,etc. and never see an English speaking person. The only thing you might need to come to centro for is to pay a parking ticket or electric bill. You can live without a car - using busses and taxis. The property costs less and the climate is exactly the same...The cultural things are some of the things the NOB folk like- classes in the arts, music, movies, charitable events, programs on Mexican culture and history. Look around when you come and visit. Pozos is an old mining town with several Americans living there. It is a bit cooler but is an interesting town. What made you think it weird and dismal??

alcuban

Feb 28, 2005, 7:33 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] "suburban" SMA

Thank you for your reply. I've never been to Pozos, but I read somewhere or someone told me (can't remember which) that the town was kinda of weird, whatever that means. My partner and I are just concerned about parts of SMA getting so glitzed up and gringoized that you might as well live in some fancy town in the U.S. We are also concerned about costs and being able to rent or buy something a piece of land big enough to do some gardening (I know, it's dry). We checked out some properties last time we were there, somewhere in El Centro, and while not nearly as expensive as Chicago, they were running in the $250s, $275s which is getting up there. Rentals seemed to be all geared to visiting Americans, and the houses were wall-to-wall cement so other than a flower pot, you couldn't do much gardening. You're right we should drift off the downtown area. I'm fully fluent in Spanish (Cuban) but my partner, nada.

Carol Schmidt

Feb 28, 2005, 8:13 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2777 views)

Shortcut

Here's the website for Pozos, a ghost town of about 400 Mexicans and 80 gringos living among abandoned buidlings that once held many, many thousands when the mines were active. It is indeed a lively art colony, though small. A few of the gringos there are attempting to sell the cheaper property there as "the next San Miguel." But it's about 45 minutes away. If you want much to do, you'll be making that drive into SMA. The area around the thermal spas outside SMA, where the Jack Nicklaus golf resort is going in, is the up and coming area outside SMA, with prices soaring. People who buy land there often find they have their own thermal spa.

For some reason right now, seems like everybody in SMA is complaining about all the influx--I know, it's high season, we have tourists making stupid comments all around us. One woman in a store was asking, I kid you not, "What is the correct-o price-e-o?"

By April they'll be all gone and we'll have our town back. Until the Texans arrive in July and August and all the tourists from Mexico City for September. Then we'll have our town back in OCtober, until they arrive again for Day of the Dead. Then we'll have our town back, until Christmas, when the winter high season starts it all over again. The joys of living in a tourist attraction. I remember seeing all the tourists in shorts in LA in December while we were bundled up.

Carol Schmidt

not_ally

Mar 1, 2005, 10:07 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2705 views)

Shortcut

You can find houses in the outer colonias (and we're not talking the hinterlands, just a bit farther out) like Santa Julia for $60 or $70k. Some friends recently bought a house there for $55k, will put in about $20k, and will have a three bedroom, 3 bath house with two patios, parking, and views of the Parroquia. And it's definitely not that far out, I walked back to Centro from their house in 20 minutes. You definitely have to get out of Centro for that kind of pricing, though.
----------------------------
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly I discover there is no reason." John Cage

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4