Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Maggi

Sep 25, 2002, 3:04 PM

Post #1 of 9 (8628 views)

Shortcut

Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
Looking to stay in Cancun Feb7-14 then travel to Merida for 3-4 days. Any suggestions on how, where?

grimes34@yahoo.com

Sep 25, 2002, 4:04 PM

Post #2 of 9 (8562 views)

Shortcut

Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
My wife and I drove, "did not take the toll road"
stoped @ chichinitza and some small towns<p>or take a bus from cancun centro

Steve

Sep 25, 2002, 8:05 PM

Post #3 of 9 (8557 views)

Shortcut

Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
I would rent a car and drive. It's only about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive from Cancun. Stay off the tollway. To expensive. Take 180 to Merida. Roads are good and not much traffic. Lots to see along the way.

Richard Ferguson

Sep 25, 2002, 8:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (8560 views)

Shortcut

Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
Unless you really want to sightsee a lot, I suggest using taxis and buses, will save a lot of money. The first class bus from Cancun to Merida will cost maybe $12, and local cab rides are usually $2 or so. Rental cars are expensive in Mexico.<p>Of course, you could rent a car for a day or two for extended sightseeing in the countryside, and then use taxis for local visits.<p>Richard<p><p>: Looking to stay in Cancun Feb7-14 then travel to Merida for 3-4 days. Any suggestions on how, where?

Peggy

Sep 26, 2002, 12:56 AM

Post #5 of 9 (8559 views)

Shortcut

Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
Enjoy your stay in Cancun, maybe take a tour bus to Tulum, well worth seeing. From centro Cancun take a first class bus (about $12) to Merida, well worth the money. It takes the toll road and stops halfway at a restaurant, like on the U.S. turnpikes. In Merida, you can take a cheap tour bus to Chichen Itza, a visit you willl never forget. If you want to stay overnight, (there are several hotels just steps from the entrance), the same tour bus will pick you up for the return trip to Merida.

JRB

Sep 26, 2002, 10:48 AM

Post #6 of 9 (8557 views)

Shortcut

Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
: Looking to stay in Cancun Feb7-14 then travel to Merida for 3-4 days. Any suggestions on how, where?<p>Maggi,<p>Did the trip last Feb/Mar. Primero classe directo to Merida cost around 300 pesos.
We split the trip going to Merida with a stay in Valladolid, its worth it in my opinion. If you have the time you can visit Chichen Itza from there and go to Merida the next day.
Pretty cenotes in and around Valladolid - Zaci right in town or Dzitnup just outside the city. The best hotels are around the parque central. we've always stayed at the Maria de la Luz, but there are others nearby that are also very good value and quality.
Too bad you're not going a little later in the nonth as Carnaval celebrations are a big deal in Valladolid and Merida. Nice contrast between the town -- a small town fell to the parades and fiestas in in Valoladolid and a raucous party in Merida. In 1999 we saw what must have been three quarters of a million people on the Paseo de Montejo in Merida.<p>Which brings me to another point -- hurricane Isidore really pounded the northern gul coast of yucatan and Merida. Undoubtedly it will be cleaned up when you get there but from the pictures on the Diario de Yucatan website the mess is huge. Still large areas without electricity or water.<p>In Merida you may want to consider a day trip down to Uxmal -- the most archietecturally stunning of all Mayan cities in my opinion. Not the breathtaking beauty of the forest of Palenque or the majesty of Copan or Tikal, but high art none the less.<p>The Puuc area around Uxmal is full of ruins great little towns. There are more shoe shops in Ticul than anywhere else on earth.<p>You may also consider a day trip to Progreso, its about a 45 minute busride from downtown Merida. We've also stayed in Progreso a couple of times and like to sit in the restaurants along the malecon ans waste an afternoon drinking and eating. Many don't like Progreso, and while likely think less of it now that Isidor has really smaked the beach. We like the area just fine.<p>So much to do, so little time. <p>Have a great trip.

Khaki

Nov 11, 2002, 10:08 AM

Post #7 of 9 (8505 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRB] Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
Everybody is right about staying off the toll road. Things are pretty well cleaned up from Isidore in Merida and Progreso - phones and electricity are all back on... I recommend Hotel Dolores Alba in Merida... close to everything, nice pool, great people - "like home" - and - best of all - won't break your bank.

Sharkbait

Nov 11, 2002, 5:13 PM

Post #8 of 9 (8498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peggy] Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
Do I understand that you need to get from the airport in Cancun, to centro to take the bus to Merida? We have usually flown directly to Merida, but would like to try flying into and out of Cancun, and take the bus over.

Jack Swift

Nov 12, 2002, 3:40 AM

Post #9 of 9 (8493 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maggi] Cancun to Merida

Can't Post |
If you're going single, take buses & taxis, if more than one rent a car, and take the tollroad.

The 2 lane free road isn't particularly scenic, full of the usual "topes" and subject to slow moving vehicles.

I like the Hotel Gran in Merida, 1/2 block off the central plaza - parking is in back and hard to find the first time, great outdoor cafe, less than 50 bucks

In Merida - during the day - take the tourist trolley & do the museums and sights, in the evening - take a horse cab and have a couple of drinks in one of the many nitespots on Calle 60. Unfortunately during the week they are mostly dead.

The central plaza has a great internet cafe open 24 hours with a DSL connection, free coffee and an inexpensive menu

Lotsa sidetrips, like Holbox, Tizmin, Chichen Itza, Celestun, etc. available, both off the tollroad & from Merida

The first class bus costs 182 pesos, Taxis in Merida are usually 30 pesos

Car rental starts at 450 pesos plus insurance, gas costs around 25 pesos a gallon.

If you drive - keep 500 pesos handy for the occasional friendly policeman that wants you to visit with him at the station house.

A must read:

http://www.yucatantoday.com/

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4